OPT Out scamming good customers

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 13, 2019
I recently read your forum and recognized a similar problem. I had an account with direct tv which I ended up canceling because they started charging me for the NFL package. I spoke to them numerous times letting them know I didn't order nor watch NFL football. I was told that I needed to "opt out" prior to the start of the season. Since I had the bill on an auto pay schedule I wasn't watching for bill discrepancies. When I noticed the charges I immediately contacted Direct TV and was told there was nothing they could do. I chose to continue the argument not wanting to pay for a service that seemed to be charged to my account without my direct consent. The account is now in collections with a company called Credence Resource Management. I don't want to pay for a service attached to my bill by my non-consent, consent. It seems like Direct TV preys on folks that pay their bills on time with auto pay counting on the fact that the bill won't be reviewed monthly and a service won't be used for various reasons but in my case, I didn't know I had it. My credit score is being affected...do I have any options...they seem to be holding all the cards now.

Sep 27, 2017
Demand the collection agency prove the debt. Ask them for a copy of the contract with your signature. Collection agencies work by buying your name off of a list. There's a chance they cannot prove the debt (the contract did not state ''opt out", for example, or they do not have a copy of the contract WITH YOUR SIGNATURE), or there's a chance they do not have the contract in their possession at all. If they cannot prove the debt, you can contact the credit reporting companies and have them remove it from your record.

May 30, 2019
Did you not pay anything to DirectTV, or pay everything other than the NFL package? If the former, consider the possibility that you may already be passed the stage of amicable resolution of the issue because you're still getting some service and owe them for it. Also consider how far you are willing to take this vis a vis your credit score.

Mar 23, 2015
This is a reprehensible practice that they've started, where your "auto-renew" includes additional services "as a feature". BUT, you need to continue paying for the services you did want, and ONLY not pay for the additional services, in good faith. If you stopped paying all together, you really don't have a leg to stand on ... IMHO...

Jan 11, 2019
I also had DirecTV bill me for the NFL package. I spoke to a man from India and he told me to just pay the bill minus the NFL package charge. He gave me the exact amount to pay, which was what I had always paid. Sure enough ,everything was fine the next month. Maybe I was lucky and got the right person who understood my dilemma and he took care of it right away. Hopefully you can get this resolved soon. Good luck.

Jan 11, 2019
I also had DirecTV bill me for the NFL package. I spoke to a man from India and he told me to just pay the bill minus the NFL package charge. He gave me the exact amount to pay, which was what I had always paid. Sure enough ,everything was fine the next month. Maybe I was lucky and got the right person who understood my dilemma and he took care of it right away. Hopefully you can get this resolved soon. Good luck.
Also, you say you don't watch for bill discrepancies, which is understandable if it's a dollar or two, but the NFL Sunday Ticket adds on a good $33 bucks a month. Maybe I'm a bit OCD but I check all my Bill's and checking sometimes daily. I also never do direct pay for the exact reasons you are going through now. Once they take your money, it's so hard to get it back unfortunately. On your bill, it states if you don't want a service to call right away otherwise they assume you've used it for all those months. When I get a bill from DirecTV, yes I still do the paper billing specifically for them, I watch it like a hawk, because some of the specials they're running expire after a year etc. It says so right on the bill. I'll pay 6.99 for Showtime but heck if I'll continue when it goes up to $13, so I have to call and cancel or do an online chat.

Sep 18, 2018
This year's NFL Sunday Ticket costs $48.99 a month (same price as last year, I believe) for six months at the retail price. (Lower prices in the mid-30s are offered as promotional discounts.) It seems weird that it's being added to those who haven't already subscribed, because it's an opt-in feature. DirecTV can't just add it to your bill, unless it was a mistake on someone's part.

If you are being charged for NFL Sunday Ticket, your bill has this notation about canceling and not being charged:

IMPORTANT RENEWAL NOTICE:
You are all set to enjoy another exciting season of NFL SUNDAY TICKET exclusively on DIRECTV. We have renewed your subscription at 6 monthly payments of $48.99 each. If you wish to cancel to avoid payment, you must do so no later than two weeks after the season starts. Refunds not available after Sunday, Sept. 22nd.
The best way to deal with DirecTV's customer service is to contact the official page on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/directv ) via FB Messenger. A dedicated rep will then follow up with you and give you a direct link to a private chat on the AT&T forum. Then everything will be in writing (you can have the chat emailed to you), and you can each take time for detailed answers.

Apr 10, 2017
We have had NFL Sunday Ticket for 18 years and it auto renews every year unless we cancel. I have never heard of anyone having it added automatically when it wasn't bought the previous season.

As for costs Sunday Ticket Max is even more expensive. Retail price is $65.99 per month for 6 months. I miss the good ol' days when it was only $120 for the whole season.