OneMainFinancial

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 14, 2019
I have had a loan with this company (originally Springleaf Financial) for about 4 years that is secured with 2 vehicles. Both vehicles are no longer able to be driven because they need major repairs. I was out of work for 5 months and got behind on my payments. I had just moved into an apartment and got one of the vehicles towed to the apartment because it overheats when you drive it and the back window is falling out. I had started to look at getting it fixed.

Shortly after it was brought there, I noticed it was not where I put it. My mother had to call and find out that the vehicle had been repossessed by One Main Financial. They told her I had 2 weeks to come up with $2600 or they were going to auction it off. I have been trying to get a loan for that but my credit is not good because of not working and this is not helping. My mother called them on Tuesday and they said they could extend to Friday but that was it and then they were going to auction it off. I am a route driver so I am unable to call during the day. I tried to send an email to the company but got no response.

I would like to keep the truck and fix it up but I cannot get the $2600 that quickly. My biggest concern is if the tow company damaged it when it was towed and if it was left outside uncovered allowing rain to get inside. I am also worried that they will not get alot of money for that vehicle in the present condition and I will end up owing them still without anything to fix up.

I have never received any written notice from them about how long I had to redeem, how to get my personal things from the vehicle, or when and where the vehicle will be auctioned if I do not redeem. Since I can't redeem, I would like to have the opportunity to buy the vehicle back at auction. I live in Alabama and from what I have researched, they are required to give me written notice with this information. They have my new address.

I would like to find out how I should proceed since I did not receive the required written notice from them and what my protections are from them selling it for a very low price and if it has been damaged.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You are probably going to have to talk to an attorney. Repossessions are all legal issues and we don’t have attorneys here to assist - which is why we can’t advocate your problem.

I don’t know what state you are in but you should see if there is a Legal Aid Society in our area that could help. Google it and see if there is an office where you live.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you have enough money to buy it back at auction, call the lender and see if they will release it to you for that amount. You'd need a repayment plan for whatever you owe, so this may or may not work for you. I recommend looking for legal help through a free clinic or something similar ... because you are right, the lender will come after you for the balance due on your loan after the auction. Good luck and I hope things turn around for you soon.

Oct 13, 2015
It may help for you to communicate with the lender and not your mom. I wonder if they have information that may be helpful to you that they can't tell your mom since she's not the person on the loan.