One ticket for the price of two....

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 22, 2018
We had to travel to Israel to deal with my husband’s mothers changing situation, as the foreign worker who was taking care of her 24/7 let us know that she was leaving.

We booked a flight through the travel agent and planned on being there from Feb 11th through March 5th. Due to the many problems and issues that were beyond our control, we ended up having to change our tickets and stay until March 14th to have her transferred and situated in a nursing facility.

My daughter was talking to our travel agent (due to time difference) and she was advised that the only way we could change these tickets was if we had a copy of a death certificate that we could provide to United Airlines.

Thank G-d we did not have one of these, but the airline basically told us that we had to buy new tickets and we ended up paying another $1110 for the two return tickets.

Sep 19, 2015
I am very sorry that your mother’s health is declining. Very sad situation.

I am a little confused. Was the change in return made before departure? Was the 1100 a change fee and increase in fare?

Sometimes a change fee can be waived. Was that tried before the change? Was this ticket bought through a real travel agent (and not an online one)?

Mar 22, 2018
Thank you! Original reservation # Hxxxxx for travel 2/10 with return date of 03/05 was for 2 tickets roundtrip total price was $1906. When we tried to change the return date, we were told that we needed to buy new tickets and paid another $1110....

Last edited by a moderator:

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Anna, normally when you purchase an airline ticket, it will have a set of fare rules telling you if the ticket is refundable or not, and the conditions in which it can be changed. In most cases when a ticket is purchased directly from the airline, you can make changes to date/times/itinerary, but there will be a reissue fee, normally in the $200 to $300 range plus any difference in the fare for the new flight.

Some travel agencies or booking sites will sale "contract fares" priced lower than you can purchase directly with the airline, the offset being that they are normally much more restrictive. It is not uncommon for these type of tickets to carry conditions that they cannot be refunded or changed for any reason. Other restrictions may also come into play such your new flights would need to be in the same fare class.

My recommendation is to write your travel agent and ask them specifically for the fare rules of your original ticket. Knowing the exact fare rules will help our advocates here to better advise you.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
The credit card used to purchase these tickets may have Travel Insurance benefits that may help with some of the change fees. Not all credit cards have Travel Benefits but many do, be sure and check with your credit card provider.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sorry for your troubles, Anna. your husband is fortunate that you are right there with him to take care of her. Jay Travel Service should have booked you a one-way tix. Unless, of course, you didn't mention that your return date could be fluid. Changes like this always trigger a change fee and if the fare is different, you could also see an increase in the new tix fare. I would lean on Jay Travel to ask their United rep for an exception due to the circumstances. That's a long shot, but you never know. If that doesn't work, once you return home, use our Company Contacts to send UA a polite, concise email asking them for an exception to their rule. I would ask for vouchers towards a future flight, as airlines hate giving out cash. Is there any possibility that your credit card had some travel protection?