Onboard theft- Frontier Airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 23, 2019
I was flying Frontier from Buffalo to Orlando to take my kids to Disney. I had an infant, a 2 year old and 2 teenagers with me. After boarding the airplane I was stowing my diaper bag and baby carrier in the overhead. I had to take out the safety harness for my toddler and fasten it to the seat in the next row. I put my purse in the chair. after finishing there were many other people trying to find their seats and I was distracted by my children. I thought my purse was in my seat and I was sitting on it but shortly after takeoff I realized I was sitting on just my sweater. I got up after the seatbelt sign went off and looked in the overhead. I could not find it. I looked all around me and did not find it. I approached the flight attendants who were in a group by the bathroom in the back. I asked if anyone found a purse because mine was missing. The attendant said to me, "Yes, someone turned in a purse but it was already claimed." I stood there for a second and he began to say, "Was it navy?" I said no it's black. He said he would ask around. So I went back to my seat and proceeded to look around. I began to panic a little. My little ones were fussy and crying and my older son was visibly upset and worried. The man sitting behind me asked what I was looking for and I said my purse. He said, "A lady back there found a purse." He pointed to a lady 2 rows behind me. So I approached the attendant again and he said, "Yes, that was the one that was already claimed." So I went back to my seat, the gentleman and women beside and behind me began asking the attendants questions about my purse. The attendant I spoke to was visibly becoming nervous. He was biting his nails and he was having difficulty making eye contact and his arms were crossed. He approached me at my seat and asked me what my purse looked like. he also asked me again if it was navy, was a Michael Kors bag and did it have a chain. I said no it was black with silver zippers and a long black strap. The gentleman behind me stood and pointed out the lady who turned the purse in. The attendant walked over to her and spoke with her although I couldn't hear what he was saying. The woman poked her head up over the seat and said using hand gestures, " it was a small black purse about this big, and it had a little pouch on the front." I said Yes, that's my purse. The attendant came back to me and said, "I can do an overhead announcement to find who claimed the purse" I asked him who he gave the purse too. He said'I didn't take the purse I'm not sure who it was given to." I said well can't you ask the attendant who accepted the purse who they gave it to? He said, "I'll make an announcement." So he said over the speaker,"If anyone found or claimed a purse will you please put your call light on." No-one did. So I asked another attendant if he knew anything about the purse and he said, I have no idea. I don't know anything about it." My toddler by now was crying. All my kids were hungry. A few of the people around me asked the attendants who the purse was given to. The woman behind me told the attendant that She thought it was terrible that they weren't helping me. I called the western union as we were landing but they had already closed. I called my fiancé and my dad. The attendant told me to go to the desk and report my purse missing. They let everyone off the plane without telling me who the purse was given to or which attendant accepted the purse. The woman who was kind enough to turn it in gave me her phone number after we landed, she said she would be willing to help if she could. It was very distressing and I believe that one of the attendants stole my purse.

Aug 30, 2015
I don't know what to say but it is a very troubling story and it makes me very suspicious. I hope you are able to cancel your cards and get things sorted. It is a very bad thing and you have my sympathy.

Sep 19, 2015
This is very disturbing.

Did the passenger who found the purse ever identify which flight attendant it was given to?

How do you think the purse ended up with a passenger 2 rows behind?

May 23, 2019
I did not get their names, I realized by the time we landed that I had four hungry kids to feed and I didn't want to miss our ride to the resort so my focus was on getting help from my family. After getting to our room It took a lot of time and energy to figure out how I could get some money and food for the kids. My fiancé ended up flying down the next morning. The reason my purse wound up with that lady was because I sat it down in the row behind my seat when I was stowing my bag and fastening the harness for my toddler from behind the seat. As people were boarding the plane and I was situating the children I got distracted. I'm still beside myself. Someone was kind enough to turn it in and the people who were in charge of our safety on an airplane wouldn't help.

May 23, 2019
Did you report this at the airport as soon as you got off the plane? Did you get the name of the attendant from his badge?
I called the next day and asked to speak to a manager. I told her that I wanted the attendants to be held accountable. I said at minimum they didn't follow the policy on lost and found items and that because of their actions they caused me a lot of problems. I also filed a police report and lost and found report with Frontier and Orlando airport. I haven't gotten any response other than an Email stating they haven't found my items.

Sep 19, 2015
I did not get their names, I realized by the time we landed that I had four hungry kids to feed and I didn't want to miss our ride to the resort so my focus was on getting help from my family. After getting to our room It took a lot of time and energy to figure out how I could get some money and food for the kids. My fiancé ended up flying down the next morning. The reason my purse wound up with that lady was because I sat it down in the row behind my seat when I was stowing my bag and fastening the harness for my toddler from behind the seat. As people were boarding the plane and I was situating the children I got distracted. I'm still beside myself. Someone was kind enough to turn it in and the people who were in charge of our safety on an airplane wouldn't help.
Was it turned in before departure? I am just not understanding how the person who found it could not say I gave to the FA standing by row X.

It is terrible but there are thefts on airplanes -- could be passengers or crews.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I called the next day and asked to speak to a manager. I told her that I wanted the attendants to be held accountable. I said at minimum they didn't follow the policy on lost and found items and that because of their actions they caused me a lot of problems. I also filed a police report and lost and found report with Frontier and Orlando airport. I haven't gotten any response other than an Email stating they haven't found my items.
By then it was too late. You have to deal with it immediately at the time when they had the time to get someone to talk to the crew before they left the gate area.

You can use our company contacts to contact Frontier but I am not sure what they can do at this point after the event. I understand you had four kids but you said two were teenagers. They could have helped with the smaller ones while you dealt with this at the gate where you disembarked the place. Calling the next day weakens your case.

There probably will never be a response other than they haven't found it because if it was indeed stolen, it's gone.

Sep 19, 2015
At this point I can not say that the FA took it versus another passenger.

Why didn’t the person who found it able to identify who it was given to. Are you sure this person actually gave it to the FA? And why didn’t the finder open the purse and look at the ID to have a name to give it to — rather than all this passing off a purse to just anyone.

I still do not grasp how someone 2 rows back ends up with a purse that was one row back.

I found a clutch wallet in a taxi — opened it up to get the name of a person. And I found the DL with address and got it back to the Owner. I did not just ask people if they lost a wallet — the id was all I needed.

Dec 17, 2018
It sounds to me like a woman found the purse, gave it to a FA, IDENTIFIED which FA she gave it to, but from that point, no one knows where the purse went. "Someone" claimed the lost purse, but OP was never given an answer as to WHICH FA handed the purse over.

I.e., was it the same one who first received the "found" purse from the woman? Did that FA put the purse down somewhere and ANOTHER FA handed it off to the random third person who "claimed" it?

THAT seems to be where the disconnect is. It's not that the woman who turned the purse in didn't know who she gave it to - sounds like she DID know who she gave it to and from that point, the FA OP was talking to refused to actually find out 1) which FA gave the purse to the person "claiming" it so that said FA could be questioned. I mean... come on... how hard would it have been for the FA who gave the purse away to say "Yeah, it was a 50 something year old woman who looked like x,y,z". The fault seems to lie with the FA's who for some reason refused to look into this. Sounds like the woman who found the purse knew exactly which FA she gave it to... and why that FA can't say what happened after that is what concerns me.

Sep 19, 2015
It sounds to me like a woman found the purse, gave it to a FA, IDENTIFIED which FA she gave it to, but from that point, no one knows where the purse went. "Someone" claimed the lost purse, but OP was never given an answer as to WHICH FA handed the purse over.

I.e., was it the same one who first received the "found" purse from the woman? Did that FA put the purse down somewhere and ANOTHER FA handed it off to the random third person who "claimed" it?

THAT seems to be where the disconnect is. It's not that the woman who turned the purse in didn't know who she gave it to - sounds like she DID know who she gave it to and from that point, the FA OP was talking to refused to actually find out 1) which FA gave the purse to the person "claiming" it so that said FA could be questioned. I mean... come on... how hard would it have been for the FA who gave the purse away to say "Yeah, it was a 50 something year old woman who looked like x,y,z". The fault seems to lie with the FA's who for some reason refused to look into this. Sounds like the woman who found the purse knew exactly which FA she gave it to... and why that FA can't say what happened after that is what concerns me.

I did not read it the same way:
. He said'I didn't take the purse I'm not sure who it was given to." Flight Attendant #1.

So I asked another attendant if he knew anything about the purse and he said, I have no idea. I don't know anything about it." Flight attendant #2

Did the finder ever say I gave it to that FA — there seems to be no identification as to which FA the person two rows down gave it to — after the announcement why didn’t the finder point ouch which one had the purse?

Further the OP states

“They let everyone off the plane without telling me who the purse was given to or which attendant accepted the purse.”

That is what concerns me — the finder never provided details as to who the purse was given to.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You would think an FA would have opened the purse, looked at the identification of the owner and then simply given it to her using the seat chart. That's what should have been done.

Considering this - Becca, I would use our company contacts for Frontier and take this up with them. It was a very simple solution to find out who's purse it was. Here are our contacts:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/frontier-airlines/

Here is how to escalate:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Shorten your letter into bullet points with facts only - take out much of your issues with the kids crying and being hungry as yous aid you had two teenagers that could have assisted with the younger ones. You should state you were traveling with four kids and two were tiny and were distracted trying to get them situated and seated and fed but don't keep harping on it.

Shortening and getting rid of too much unnecessary information will help made this readable.

Such as:
- A man sitting behind me told me the woman who had found the purse. I approached her and asked what happened. She told me she gave it to FA #1 and that it was not blue, she described it and it was my purse. (This information is buried in too many sentences about the FA).\

If you re-write and post here, we can help edit it so it tells your story in as few words as possible.

Jul 13, 2016
For your first letter, you want to keep it short and just the facts. The time to get into more specifics is after you have their attention.
Your contact information
date of flight
Flight number
your confirmation numbers

Bullet points:
traveling as solo adult with four children, two of them under 3 years old
while fastening the seat harness for the toddler, I put my purse down on a seat.
A passenger thought it was lost and turned it into a FA on board.
When I noticed it missing, I and the passenger attempted to identify the FA to whom the purse was given.
Despite all our efforts, none of the on-board FAs admitted to receiving my purse
I was disembarked at my destination without ID, or money, and four hungry children.

Sep 19, 2015
“They let everyone off the plane without telling me who the purse was given to or which attendant accepted the purse”

To me it does not seem that the OP knows which FA got the purse.

There should have been at least 4 FAs on an airplane with seats for 200 plus passengers. Two were asked by the OP.

Why didn’t the finder identify the FA? How does anyone know that the finder gave the purse to a FA?

I know I am fixated on the finder — but having been the finder of wallets, cell phones etc and this sounds off to me.