On Line Change of Address Scams

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 4, 2014
I want to alert people who change their address on line. Back in December I went to what I thought was the USPS official site to change my address for the winter. Something I have done several times in the past. I selected the site and proceeded to enter my information and also entered my credit card # for the usual $1.00 charge that the USPS imposes. I got a email confirmation # and everything looked correct. Well and and good! Right! Imagine my shock when I checked my credit card statement the next day and saw a charge for $39.95!! I doubled checked the confirmation email, it was not from USPS.com, it was from <noreply@postmail.com>!
I looked for their site and logged in, there was a statement that they wanted their customers to be satisfied and if you weren't, to go to listed email address within 60 days to ask for a partial refund. I emailed the site twice and wonder of wonders, it kicked back!!

I went to our local Post Office and was informed that this had happened to other people. Looks like I am stuck, but have learned a valuable lesson, just because it looks official, it is not.

Then to add insult to injury, I got a call from my local Post Office yesterday, this scammy outfit passed along incorrect information to the USPS. They entered it in as an Individual rather then the Family that I had entered and was on their confirmation. This is a warning I am passing on, if you change address on line, make sure that you are on the Official USPS.com web site!! Beware of look a likes!!

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I did the EXACT same thing last September but saw the charge immediately as I get alerts which include any online charge.
I immediately emailed them and asked for a refund AND I had disputed the charge so either way I was not going to pay them. They cancelled the payment ASAP.
BTW -it takes them 2 weeks to submit your request to USPS.

Oct 4, 2014
Did you dispute the charge?
I have tried to contact them, but can no longer find the website that mentioned the guarantee, one that I had kicked back as undeliverable, I did finally a reply from one saying that this was not our website. Also saying that there are many sites out there that are not the original address Genie.
I tried going to the my credit card statement, but can not find any website for the charge. It is a hassle to dispute with the credit card company. I just don't know if it is worth the trouble and just eat the charge and consider it tuition for lesson learned.

Oct 4, 2014
The official USPS website is a .com ending.

There are many scam sites that "impersonate" others, pay for search engines to rank them high, and dupe people.

Dicksue can you either ask for a refund or dispute the charge as the service was so messed up?

There is an alert from the postal inspector about these scam websites:

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/radDocs/consumer/CrimeAlert for COA scam.pdf
Thanks Christina, I think you are right that there was a definite impersonation.

Oct 4, 2014
I did the EXACT same thing last September but saw the charge immediately as I get alerts which include any online charge.
I immediately emailed them and asked for a refund AND I had disputed the charge so either way I was not going to pay them. They cancelled the payment ASAP.
BTW -it takes them 2 weeks to submit your request to USPS.
Yes, I tried to contact them immediately, but ran into a dead end in trying to email! All I got were errors back from my provider.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
@dicksue
Call your credit card bank and ask them to give you the contact info for the vendor who charged you. CHase must have previous dealings with these types as they immediately said there would be no problem winning the dispute.
The one I used was postmail-usp.com. Their conf emails were from no-replyATpostamail-uspDOTcom but I was able to google the info I needed and did manage to notify them by email that I wanted it cancelled. The fee was hidden in the T&C which is why is didn’t see it. I thought I was on usps.gov as I have done many times before.
The diff is that I did it immediately so that may be why it wa so easy for me to cancel.
Sorry this happened to you. I felt really dumb cuz i am usually super vigilant about these things. This is what happens when one is in a hurry to accomplish a (usually) simple task.
I learned to be safe by logging into our usps account and proceeding from there. Really makes it quicker to do it that way also.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks Christina, I think you are right that there was a definite impersonation.
It money is as taken from your account, you need to contact the credit card company and dispute. You don’t need a website, you need the name of the company that put the charge through.

Of course it’s worth it- if someone took your money for something you shouldn’t be charged with you are allowing the scam to go on. And if they have your cc number $30 could just be a start for them to see if they can charge more on your card.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
It money is as taken from your account, you need to contact the credit card company and dispute. You don’t need a website, you need the name of the company that put the charge through.

Of course it’s worth it- if someone took your money for something you shouldn’t be charged with you are allowing the scam to go on. And if they have your cc number $30 could just be a start for them to see if they can charge more on your card.
I agree with Neil. You shouldn't give up. Disputing it helps you and other future victims.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015

I agree, you should try to get your money back, but I disagree that this is a scam. Technically, it is not. They are providing a service and the fees are disclosed in the T&C, which I didn’t bother to read at the time as I thought I was on the official usps website.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Everyone should be advised to triple-check the website name to be sure you're on the official one. If you do a search, don't click on a link, but write down the official website and enter it manually. The bad guys are always thinking, and seem to be always one step ahead.