Offensive & discriminatory actions by front desk management against IHG platinum member

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 8, 2018
This thread is about ongoing customer service issue that has arisen from a recent experience I had at the Holiday Inn Express Acme, Michigan. It was to my satisfaction and understanding that all of the issues relative to this case were appropriately accommodated and resolved by the Senior Regional Vice President who manages the property. I was awarded a partial refund for two different accommodations that were initially offered but never honored, advice regarding a malfunctioning elevator on a busy travel day as well as given insight into the fact that the onsite General Manager was out and that the rest of the team was trying to make decisions or accommodations as they saw fit. Aside from my issues I am very loyal to the IHG brand and the hotel suited my needs as far a future visit was concerned. Prior to senior management's intervention my future reservation for 6/29/19-7/2/19 was canceled not once but twice by front desk management as It was made known to me by calling into IHG reservations that I was seen as an unfit future guest for the hotel. I had already deemed this as discriminatory and offensive seeing how I had spent over $700 at the property, left the room in pristine condition and had also booked a future stay that would cost over $700. The regional vice president agreed with my feelings above and reassured me that my canceled reservations without notice or warning were inappropriate and not the hospitality that I deserved and graciously offered me reinstatement of my future visit at a 50% discount. I was relieved to put the entire scenario behind me and was happy that I once again felt like part of the IHG family until about a week later that reservation disappeared. I assumed it to be an internal error and waited the weekend to call the reservations team who informed me the reinstated reservation had actually been canceled by front desk management at the hotel because again I was seen as an unfit future guest due to ongoing issues. I’m going to leave it here as I am awaiting any additional feedback regarding someone on the ground team's personal vendetta (most likely the front desk manager as I already had to listen to her tell me I was not going to get anything customer relations had offered on her watch and before she got on the phone with me I had to listen to her complain about having to deal with the issue as it was time for her break, the one and only time I called the property after my stay), but am appalled to think that the Senior Regional Vice President’s decision and coaching on site as I was advised would happen was not enough to resolve this matter. I am a gay male who traveled with my boyfriend to this property last June/July and I cannot help that this otherwise conservative part of the country has other issues with my future stay considering the fact that now my future reservation has been canceled three times even after senior level management has intervened in my favor.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What happened at the hotel that you aren’t telling us?

A hotel doesn’t just cancel a guest as an undesirable renter unless something occurred during a stay.

We can’t help unless you are honest with give us the history of the complaint.

And a hotel can blacklist guests as can an airline or a car rental company, if there is an issue or problem that happened. If the hotel is owner privately and not by the corporation- the owner can do what they want.

So what happened when you stayed before your first reservation was canceled?

Aug 8, 2018
That's just it nothing actually happened other than the elevator breaking down on a busy travel day and my calling customer relations to complain as there was never any one at the front desk other than a door bell to ring for service. I don't think the only elevator out of operation warrants the premium I paid especially considering my elderly grandmother was to visit the room for an afternoon. When I filed the initial complaint with guest relations they said the hotel would be in contact with me regarding a resolution which never occurred, when I called guest relations back they said they would advise $40.00 off my bill which never occurred. A few days after check out when I called the front desk to question why I had actually been over charged this was the response, "I'm not dealing with this now its time for my break", she got on the phone heard my requests and stated, "ill look into the over charge but your not getting the $40 on my watch" so after I waited several days and the appropriate credits never appeared I filed another case with guests relations. My initial future reservation disappeared a few days later with out warning or there otherwise. When I called IHG reservations the only response I got after they checked with the hotel was that they could not reinstate the future reservation as I was seen as an unfit future guest that I was free to make a reservation at any IHG property elsewhere for my preferred travel dates.

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If that is the case, I would write back to the executive you spoke to and tell him that the hotel again canceled your reservation and you would appreciate him finding it why and ending this.

I also would use our company contacts to and escalate this further if you need to.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/intercontinental-hotels/

This is truly an odd case and the behavior you describe is very odd for a hotel to engage in. This is not normal behavior if you simply voiced an issue with a broken elevator.

Sep 19, 2015
I see no reason to assume that this has anything to do with your sexual orientation and more to do with the complaint.

Did the elevator break that day? Was a repair person called? Was the hotel trying the best they could, or was the elevator out of service for days on end.

And may I ask why would you want to return to the hotel under the current management.

Aug 8, 2018
Thank you. Per the outlined steps in your forum I wrote an executive via certified mail yesterday; the senior management official I was already in contact with has deemed the above noted "adversarial attitude" as not to be taken lightly and is looking into the why and the who canceled the reservation that he reinstated on my behalf.

Aug 8, 2018
I see no reason to assume that this has anything to do with your sexual orientation and more to do with the complaint.

Did the elevator break that day? Was a repair person called? Was the hotel trying the best they could, or was the elevator out of service for days on end.

And may I ask why would you want to return to the hotel under the current management.
I felt like we were watched but never engaged while at this hotel, while I was at breakfast I noticed other guests being engaged for various reasons. My initial complaint about the elevator was ignored. It was out for 6 hours after check in on a very busy Saturday during a local festival. The hotel is in a prime location and is of the brand I am loyal too, at the discounted almost unheard of rate I was offered by the regional vice president as well as the hospitality promise I would be foolish not to return, yes after the initial reservation was canceled I had booked the future stay at a near by Cambria Suites.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
I felt like we were watched but never engaged while at this hotel, while I was at breakfast I noticed other guests being engaged for various reasons. My initial complaint about the elevator was ignored. It was out for 6 hours after check in on a very busy Saturday during a local festival. The hotel is in a prime location and is of the brand I am loyal too, at the discounted almost unheard of rate I would be foolish not to return, yes after the initial reservation was canceled I had booked the future stay at a near by Cambria Suites.
Um getting an elevator repairman on a Saturday is not an easy task. An elevator malfunctioning is well out of the control of an the management and the hotel.
I live in an elevator building in New York City -- and the lone elevator has broken on the weekends and it is not easy to get someone quickly.

Sep 19, 2015
Well I would imagine that the hotel was not happy that the following reviews which were posted under two different names.

If the decor is outdated and staff unpleasant why go back? The furniture likely has not changed and perhaps they think you will still be unhappy.
And honestly, not being greeted as a Platinum Rewards Member, is that really a substantial service failing?

Ryan 84

I have been platinum rewards member for years and never have I had such an appalling experience. From being promised a price adjustment at check in that never happened, to being over charged after an accommodation was offered but never received for a broken down elevator for five hours on one of the busiest travel days of the year during the Cherry Festival, this place lacks character, is outdated and has very un-professional staff. Room was small and overstuffed with large bulky, outdated furniture. I even had to as for a room upgrade as the suite I booked for a premium was basic, small and dark; typically upgrades are offered at checkin for platinum members, not here you have to beg. Let alone not being greeted as a platinum rewards member I was never greeted once as I walked by the front deck, it was always empty with a door bell to ring for service. When I called to ask about why I had been over charged, before the front desk manager got on the phone with me I had to listen to her complain about not being able to go on her break. The location of the hotel and being of the brand I have been loyal to was the only saving grace, so I went a head and booked a great rate for my following year's travel plans only to discover my reservation was secretly canceled by the front desk manager as she deemed me unfit as a future guest and likewise sent absolutely no notification that my future reservation had been canceled. Wow talk about accommodation and appreciation for brand loyalty.

ByRyaninyc
fromNew York, ny

I have been platinum rewards member for years and never have I had such an appalling experience. From being promised a price adjustment at check in that never happened, to being over charged after an accommodation was offered but never received for a broken down elevator for five hours on one of the busiest travel days of the year during the Cherry Festival, this place lacks character, is outdated and has very un-professional staff. Let alone not being greeted as a platinum rewards member I was never greeted once as I walked by the front deck, it was always empty with a door bell to ring for service. When I called to ask about why I had been over charged, before the front desk manager got on the phone with me I had to listen to her complain about not being able to go on her break. The location of the hotel and being of the brand I have been loyal to was the only saving grace, so I went a head and booked a great rate for my following year's travel plans only to discover my reservation was secretly canceled by the front desk manager as she deemed me unfit as a future guest and likewise sent absolutely no notification that my future reservation had been canceled. Wow talk about accommodation and appreciation for brand loyalty.

Posted byHotel Staff

• Hotel Staff
onJuly 25, 2018

Thank you for your review of our hotel during your recent stay. While our elevator did fail at an extremely inconvenient time, our staff reacted quickly with an appropriate response in summoning a licensed elevator mechanic to address the issue. It was understandably not the fault of our staff that the elevator broke down or that it took several hours for the repairs to be completed. I apologize for the malfunction of the elevator and assure you that our staff normally does a great job in providing genuine hospitable service towards our guests.

Aug 8, 2018
Um getting an elevator repairman on a Saturday is not an easy task. An elevator malfunctioning is well out of the control of an the management and the hotel.
I live in an elevator building in New York City -- and the lone elevator has broken on the weekends and it is not easy to get someone quickly.
I live in NYC as well and that's totally understood, but when you make your travel plans well in advance and have chosen a hotel based on certain parameters so that you can have your grandmother come up during a festival and are also paying a very premium price, some resolution and accommodation is in order. The $40 graciously offered by guest relations was less than 15% off the first nights stay, I was staying three nights. Instead my needs were ignored and later I was rejected.

Aug 8, 2018
Well I would imagine that the hotel was not happy that the following reviews which were posted under two different names.

If the decor is outdated and staff unpleasant why go back? The furniture likely has not changed and perhaps they think you will still be unhappy.
And honestly, not being greeted as a Platinum Rewards Member, is that really a substantial service failing?

Ryan 84

I have been platinum rewards member for years and never have I had such an appalling experience. From being promised a price adjustment at check in that never happened, to being over charged after an accommodation was offered but never received for a broken down elevator for five hours on one of the busiest travel days of the year during the Cherry Festival, this place lacks character, is outdated and has very un-professional staff. Room was small and overstuffed with large bulky, outdated furniture. I even had to as for a room upgrade as the suite I booked for a premium was basic, small and dark; typically upgrades are offered at checkin for platinum members, not here you have to beg. Let alone not being greeted as a platinum rewards member I was never greeted once as I walked by the front deck, it was always empty with a door bell to ring for service. When I called to ask about why I had been over charged, before the front desk manager got on the phone with me I had to listen to her complain about not being able to go on her break. The location of the hotel and being of the brand I have been loyal to was the only saving grace, so I went a head and booked a great rate for my following year's travel plans only to discover my reservation was secretly canceled by the front desk manager as she deemed me unfit as a future guest and likewise sent absolutely no notification that my future reservation had been canceled. Wow talk about accommodation and appreciation for brand loyalty.

ByRyaninyc
fromNew York, ny

I have been platinum rewards member for years and never have I had such an appalling experience. From being promised a price adjustment at check in that never happened, to being over charged after an accommodation was offered but never received for a broken down elevator for five hours on one of the busiest travel days of the year during the Cherry Festival, this place lacks character, is outdated and has very un-professional staff. Let alone not being greeted as a platinum rewards member I was never greeted once as I walked by the front deck, it was always empty with a door bell to ring for service. When I called to ask about why I had been over charged, before the front desk manager got on the phone with me I had to listen to her complain about not being able to go on her break. The location of the hotel and being of the brand I have been loyal to was the only saving grace, so I went a head and booked a great rate for my following year's travel plans only to discover my reservation was secretly canceled by the front desk manager as she deemed me unfit as a future guest and likewise sent absolutely no notification that my future reservation had been canceled. Wow talk about accommodation and appreciation for brand loyalty.

Posted byHotel Staff

• Hotel Staff
onJuly 25, 2018

Thank you for your review of our hotel during your recent stay. While our elevator did fail at an extremely inconvenient time, our staff reacted quickly with an appropriate response in summoning a licensed elevator mechanic to address the issue. It was understandably not the fault of our staff that the elevator broke down or that it took several hours for the repairs to be completed. I apologize for the malfunction of the elevator and assure you that our staff normally does a great job in providing genuine hospitable service towards our guests.
The review was posted after my future reservations were canceled twice. I later responded to my own review stating all had been settled and I was welcomed back to the IHG family, yet now the third reinstated reservation was canceled. Initially I was not going to leave a review.

Aug 8, 2018
understood this was all already kindly explained to me by the regional vp; I have also read your responses to many other posts and those along with no acknowledgment that the hotel did anything wrong here, perfectly ok for them to not honor corporate decisions and supersede the regional Vice Presidents accommodation to me suggests your opinions are partial, next time you choose to copy a consumers review please include all comments, also given the limited options in that part of the country one must overlook bulky furnishings ect.

Last edited:

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I live in NYC as well and that's totally understood, but when you make your travel plans well in advance and have chosen a hotel based on certain parameters so that you can have your grandmother come up during a festival and are also paying a very premium price, some resolution and accommodation is in order. The $40 graciously offered by guest relations was less than 15% off the first nights stay, I was staying three nights. Instead my needs were ignored and later I was rejected.
They did the best they could based on the time the incident happened. Sometimes things break. That is not the hotel's fault. How long were you inconvenienced?

Aug 8, 2018
They did the best they could based on the time the incident happened. Sometimes things break. That is not the hotel's fault. How long were you inconvenienced?
Yes they did the best they could do as was later graciously explained to me, but the accommodation that was initially offered to and accepted by me was ignored and none of that warrants the nasty attitude I received when I called in or my future stay being canceled without notification. 6 hours per above.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I've read this whole thread ... I'm an IHG Platinum too and I was curious about your experience. Compared to Hilton, I do find some IHG personnel not as well trained as they could be. There are hundreds of words already appearing in this thread, but not the important words: why does the hotel think you're a problem? Not what you think they think, what did they say when you asked them what the problem was?

If you could prepare a concise list of the facts, all the facts, perhaps we can be of assistance.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I just am not convinced that simply complaining about an elevator warrants what the hotel did.

How much did you actually complain and were there any voices raised?

You didn’t help yourself with those reviews.

Our advice is to email executives, not write. You have a better chance of a response by emailing than by writing. Your letter never be delivered to the executive.

Please use our contacts and email - one at a time once a week.

Aug 8, 2018
I've read this whole thread ... I'm an IHG Platinum too and I was curious about your experience. Compared to Hilton, I do find some IHG personnel not as well trained as they could be. There are hundreds of words already appearing in this thread, but not the important words: why does the hotel think you're a problem? Not what you think they think, what did they say when you asked them what the problem was?

If you could prepare a concise list of the facts, all the facts, perhaps we can be of assistance.
The only response from the hotel was “you are an unfit future guest due to ongoing issues”. All issues which are highlighted above were resolved and I had no outstanding issues until my third reservation got canceled; which was offered as an accommodation by senior management not staffed at the hotel.

Aug 8, 2018
I just am not convinced that simply complaining about an elevator warrants what the hotel did.

How much did you actually complain and were there any voices raised?

You didn’t help yourself with those reviews.

Our advice is to email executives, not write. You have a better chance of a response by emailing than by writing. Your letter never be delivered to the executive.

Please use our contacts and email - one at a time once a week.
Again the reviews came nearly a month after my stay and after two subsequent future reservations were canceled and I was said to be unfit as a future guest. I called the hotel once after my stay conversation noted above and spoke to guest relations twice before the future reservations were canceled. They clearly did not want me there again and have tried to exercise what ever undermining tactics they could with out any direct communication with me; I have learned that they were advised to reinstate my reservation and received training in how to offer hospitality. I have emailed and wrote. I was also advised by guest relations that if a hotel does choose to cancel your future reservation or deny your future stay they must alert you in this instance none of that occurred as I have had no additional direct contact.

Mar 8, 2018
I am guessing that this is a franchised location. If this is so, they have made it clear they don't want you, whether it is justified or not. I don't believe corporate will get them to change their mind. What corporate can do is offer you something else. I would suggest you go this route and not try to stay at this location again.

Aug 8, 2018
I am guessing that this is a franchised location. If this is so, they have made it clear they don't want you, whether it is justified or not. I don't believe corporate will get them to change their mind. What corporate can do is offer you something else. I would suggest you go this route and not try to stay at this location again.
Yes I believe it is franchised as well but the management company, not IHG has offered most of the already stated accommodations. The front desk manager is instead running the place like it is her own bed and breakfast. They have to uphold certain hopitalities to represent the IHG logo and retaliations and descrimination do not fit with the company inwhich I have brand loyalty.

Last edited: