O1-B Visa

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 25, 2018
Hello everyone! I hope this is the right section to post this discussion.
I'm going to get in the process of requiring an O1-B visa. Got almost all the material needed, and a sponsor as well.
I'm just wondering if this is something that one could do by himself actually, or if I really need an attorney for that. You know, they've got their prices, around 5000$ everybody I heard and asked, so it would be pretty disappointing to figure out that I could have been doing that by myself....

The other concern is: I really didn't figure out whether if I can bring my wife with me, her having the permission to look for a job (and I mean a different job, since her job is completely different from mine...), or not; maybe I'm missing something from the official guidelines on USCIS.gov...

Sep 19, 2015
My old understanding - Spouse can come as O-3 but not allowed to work, study may be ok. But do not take my word on it.

I have had several friend and colleagues come to the US on artist/ academic of exceptional ability visas. The one that did not use a lawyer came for a short time and the museum had a lawyer do all the paperwork. The ones in performing and visual arts had lawyers; my last friend that did it paid about $5000 several years ago in NYC. My advice from her experience is to get a lawyer— it is amazingly bureaucratic and one mistake sets the applicant back for months if not years. And as there are changes in policy happening it is more of a challenge. And get a good lawyer one with a success rate — will not be the cheapest but will get the paperwork done correctly.

Mar 17, 2015
Your best bet is to call the state department, while many here are very knowledgeable, everyone here is a volunteer and every person who asks about a Visa/passport issue has a unique circumstance, which you may not know we needed to know and it could change our answers. Bottom line, contact either an attorney to help, or get very friendly with a person whose job it is to know the intricate laws at the state department.

Sep 19, 2015
Your best bet is to call the state department, while many here are very knowledgeable, everyone here is a volunteer and every person who asks about a Visa/passport issue has a unique circumstance, which you may not know we needed to know and it could change our answers. Bottom line, contact either an attorney to help, or get very friendly with a person whose job it is to know the intricate laws at the state department.
Tanya I respectfully disagree — the state department is not the appropriate agency for those coming into the US. All visas to the US are through US Citizenship and Immigration services which is part of Homeland Security.

Sep 19, 2015
You might find these helpful

You can also serach for "do-it-yourself O1-B Visa" and see a number of download sites listed ...
I would be very wary about some of these websites. Quora has ransom people answering questions and some that are pushing their own services. Alllaw is an attorney advertising site.
Some of these random websites have are basically infomercials and selling sites.

I do a lot of things on my own— but there are some things I would not — like wiring in a house — call an electrician— and proper visa issues for working in the US — if a company is not handling it through a lawyer (ie employer) I would not advise people to do it alone— the process is highly bureaucratic and not straightforward.

I have been on the other side — bought tickets to concerts which were canceled because the foreign performers could not get their US work visas on time to perform (one band is German). It is not an easy process.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Much good advice here, Andrea. While I would paint my house, I wouldn't rewire it, Christina makes a very good point. By all means review the website that VoR has posted but I wouldn't be comfortable doing this on my own. These are tumultuous times for immigration in the USA.