Nu Car Rental—Use credit to pay for extra driver

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Jul 21, 2021
I prepaid for a car with nu car rental it was non refundable. They put my payment on account. I used that to rent a car in a different city then I booked for. After that I had $174 left that thay said could be used for a futue car rental within 1 year. When I picked up the car the person at the counter wanted to know if I wanted to add an extra driver for $60. I asked if I could use the funds in my account. He said yes but would have to put the charge on my credit card and gave me a number to call so the money could be refunded on my credit card and my account with them reduced by the same amount. After calling and sending a few emails I was told that is not possible. I don't see why not I'm not asking for anything free. They already have my money. I just wanted to use my credit with them. Does anybody have a name and title director level I can write to?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2014
If I understand your situation, you had a $174 credit. You wanted to use the credit for the $60 extra driver fee. The agent told you that you have to call a number to get it refunded, and when you did, you were told that wasn't possible.

So, you still have a $174 credit, but you were charged $60 for the extra driver?

Is this correct?

I hate to break the news... but the car agent may have been misinformed or flat out lied. I do not know the terms and conditions of the credit, but it is not uncommon for credits to only be used on *BASE* rates, not ancillary fees. For example, you can use a southwest airline credit for airfare but cannot use it to pay for early bird. I would guess that the NU credit has similar stipulations. You can use it against a base fare, but not for ancillary fees.

Have you written Nu car rental? or have you just called them?

Jul 21, 2021

I am confused - you booked a nonrefundable rate - did you cancel the original reservation and they gave you a credit? I find that amazing if that’s what they did.
Yes they gave me credit of my original amount paid. When I rebooked they used the credit to pay for the new rental

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021
If I understand your situation, you had a $174 credit. You wanted to use the credit for the $60 extra driver fee. The agent told you that you have to call a number to get it refunded, and when you did, you were told that wasn't possible.

So, you still have a $174 credit, but you were charged $60 for the extra driver?

Is this correct?

I hate to break the news... but the car agent may have been misinformed or flat out lied. I do not know the terms and conditions of the credit, but it is not uncommon for credits to only be used on *BASE* rates, not ancillary fees. For example, you can use a southwest airline credit for airfare but cannot use it to pay for early bird. I would guess that the NU credit has similar stipulations. You can use it against a base fare, but not for ancillary fees.

Have you written Nu car rental? or have you just called them?
I have several emails to them.

Jul 21, 2021
I have several emails to them.
This is there reply sounds to me like they just don't want to do it they transferred the credit to the affiliate to pay for the rental can't seevwhy the can't transferr the credit to the affiliate to pay for extra driver then the affiliate will have the funds to reverse the charge on my cc.

Dear Jeffrey,
The additional/extra driver fee is a direct charge processed directly through our affiliate location's system. Therefore, the funds are not in our system and there is no option for us to apply the credit to the said charge.
Rest assured that your credit with us can still be used for future bookings within one year in any of our affiliate locations. This will only be applied to the rental rate.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
No extra driver added at the counter since I was told I could use the credit.
When they gave you a credit- what were the terms and conditions attached? You do realize you are lucky they even gave you a credit, correct? They could have told you nonrefundable was just that. I’m not sure I’d make a stink about this because if you take it further up the executive chain, they may revoke the rest of the credit if it was issued in error.

If you want to pursue this, you can request our researchers to find corporate executives and you can take it further.

Complete this form-

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is one of those situations when an agent 'will tell you anything'. They are often paid a bonus on anything they can upsell when you pick up the vehicle. Your story is sketchy, but if you did cancel a non-ref res, you are fortunate they gave you the credit. I don't understand this sentence, "No extra driver added at the counter since I was told I could use the credit." Did you have an extra driver? If you didn't add an extra driver at the counter ... were you charged for an extra driver? If you write to the company, be precise with all the details so the reader understands exactly what happened.

Reactions: Neil Maley