Novice Cruiser seeks advice pro-actively

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 23, 2018
My US-based sibling has invited me to go on a cruise with her from Florida in honor of my recent birthday. We are currently working with her travel agent for a Royal Caribbean 5-night cruise in November. I live in British Columbia, she is in the US and will be residing in Florida by November, so my flights will likely be booked for a few days prior/after cruise. I am a novice re cruise travel, but I read TripAdvisor daily. So I am hoping for some advice.
1) I will purchase my own medical insurance for travel abroad, but what about trip cancellation/interruption insurance? I read that this insurance sometimes comes packaged with a cruise, but it is a good idea to explore this option in this situation? Pros and cons, complications in this scenario?
2) My sister is paying for both of us; if it's not my expense, will it be covered in case of illness or trip interruption?
3) What other questions should I be asking, and what other advice do you have for me??
4) Any speciric feedback on Royal Caribbean - its policies, its customer service, etc?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Most travel insurance policies come with medical and cancellation. You have more of a chance of having to cancel for an unexpected reason - if you fall and break a leg a week before you leave, if you have an emergency at home while you are gone and have to cut your trip short - you want insurance to cover those unexpected. If you can't afford to lose every penny you have pre-paid for your trip - you need to consider travel insurance.

You should insure your piece of the cost of the trip. If you can't travel due to illness or a covered reason- you can reimburse your sister with proceeds. I pay for all of our travel - if something happens to my wife and we have to cancel - I want to be reimbursed for her portion of the trip too.

Royal Caribbean is a fine cruise line.

This thread should help you understand what insurance covers:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/the-right-travel-insurance.1283/

I commend you for asking questions before so you don't become one of the many folks who lose money because they think they don't need insurance if they are healthy. Half of the cases we have here wouldn't need help if they had bought travel insurance.

Enjoy your trip.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
I would check out Cruise Critic ( sister site of Trip Advisor) which has forums for most cruise lines (definitely Royal) as well as forums for new cruisers, ports of call, and many other topics. They will also have a "Roll Call" for the cruise if you would like to sign up. There is usually a meet and greet on each cruise, organized on the roll call, which gives you a chance to meet the senior officers as well as get their contact information in case you have a problem.

Neil has got you covered with the insurance aspects. If you have the means, you might offer to cover insurance for your sister in case she wasn't planning on purchasing already.

Apr 23, 2018
My sister's travel agent has suggested we book via icruise or vacationstogo.com for potentially better pricing than she can get. However I read so much here about not booking with third party online sites. Comments?

Apr 23, 2018
Most travel insurance policies come with medical and cancellation. You have more of a chance of having to cancel for an unexpected reason - if you fall and break a leg a week before you leave, if you have an emergency at home while you are gone and have to cut your trip short - you want insurance to cover those unexpected. If you can't afford to lose every penny you have pre-paid for your trip - you need to consider travel insurance.

You should insure your piece of the cost of the trip. If you can't travel due to illness or a covered reason- you can reimburse your sister with proceeds. I pay for all of our travel - if something happens to my wife and we have to cancel - I want to be reimbursed for her portion of the trip too.

Royal Caribbean is a fine cruise line.

This thread should help you understand what insurance covers:

http://forum.elliott.org/threads/the-right-travel-insurance.1283/

I commend you for asking questions before so you don't become one of the many folks who lose money because they think they don't need insurance if they are healthy. Half of the cases we have here wouldn't need help if they had bought travel insurance.

Enjoy your trip.
Are you saying Neil I can do what you do with your wife (trip interruption/cancellation insurance) even though my sister and I live in separate countries, and her expenses (cruise) differ from mine (airfare to/from Florida from Canada)? If receipt for cruise reservations are in her name, i.e., not my expense, so to speak? Sorry if these queries show my ignorance....

Sep 19, 2015
Are you saying Neil I can do what you do with your wife (trip interruption/cancellation insurance) even though my sister and I live in separate countries, and her expenses (cruise) differ from mine (airfare to/from Florida from Canada)? If receipt for cruise reservations are in her name, i.e., not my expense, so to speak? Sorry if these queries show my ignorance....
Insurance policies vary for residency -- my NY policy may be a little different from a FL policy. A resident of Canada has to have a policy written by a company that operates in Canada -- I can not get insurance from a Canadian company.

Who will be moving? Are you as a BC resident moving to the US and will be a resident at the time of the trip?

If person A pays for the cruise for 2 people, and the cost is 4,000 for the two, Person A should be insured for $2,000 and Person B for $2,000. If person B has to fly in and the cost is $500 for airfare then person B should have $2,500 listed as the total cost of the trip.

Mar 17, 2015
We used VTG once, and ONLY because friends we were traveling with used them and we thought we had to in order to have our reservations combined. Do not recommend. Screwed up the first few days of my trip, no help whatsoever, would not use again and highly suggest using a real travel agent, or at least a competent one. Use the third party sites for cruise pricing, then either book direct or through a real travel agent. Purchase third party insurance, much better rates and then it is not tied to the same company the trip is with.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Each of you will need your own policy for the cost of your trip. You can also purchase the cruise lines insurance. You need to find an insurance company that sells to Canadian residents and your sister needs to purchase insurance through a company that sells to residents of her country. All questions about what will and won't be covered must be asked of the travel insurance company.

We can give you generalizations but don't work for the insurance company nor are we insurance brokers so we can't speak for the insurance companies.

The cruise lines policy might be the easiest for you.

Apr 23, 2018
Thanks Neil and Christine, you are so helpful!
It is my sister who plans to move to Florida from Pennsylvania this fall (prior to cruise trip). I have both US and Canadian citizenship and passports, and live in beautiful BC and no plans to move back to the US!!

To update: my sister is working with icruise.com for the reservations. I don't plan to book my airfare this early, so for purposes of trip insurance, should I estimate the cost for my flights?

Judy

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks Neil and Christine, you are so helpful!
It is my sister who plans to move to Florida from Pennsylvania this fall (prior to cruise trip). I have both US and Canadian citizenship and passports, and live in beautiful BC and no plans to move back to the US!!

To update: my sister is working with icruise.com for the reservations. I don't plan to book my airfare this early, so for purposes of trip insurance, should I estimate the cost for my flights?

Judy
Most third party policies will allow you to add the cost of the flights when you purchase them. We never even Insure the full amount when clients first book. I give clients the total the insurance will cost and only insure the deposit. When final payment is made or Air is booked, then we add that cost to the policy. There is no sense in paying for a full policy if you cancel while you are still in the deposit stage. You can do this with most third party insurance but not the cruise line.