Not sure what to do for summer plans

  • Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 28, 2017
39
13
8
New Jersey
I'm currently living in the UK with my husband and toddler. We have quite the vacation planned for this summer to visit family back home in the US. Part of that is a home rental through VRBO in July. It looks like VRBO is not doing anything at the moment for plans this far out, but I also do not want to wait too long to cancel.
Is the current advice to hold off on canceling July trips? We also need to manage our plane tickets, car rentals as well as a second vacation planned for our time in the US.
I'm lost as to how to proceed. TIA
 

Neil Maley

Moderator
Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
21,572
21,567
113
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I works there even think of coming to the US in June right now. We have no idea how long this country is going to be shut down to any travelers from outside the US.

I would suggest you just watch and see what VRBO is going to do unless you have a refundable reservation where the landlord will allow you to cancel a certain number of days out.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BittyBoo

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
2,529
3,212
113
Maui Hawaii
You should assume that travel to the US from the UK will not be normalized in June/July and make plans accordingly. The peak of virus activity in the US will probably not occur until April/May (or later) and it will take several months after that for things to return to a semblance of normalcy. In fact, return to normalcy for long-haul intercontinental travel may not occur until an effective vaccine and drug treatments/preventions are available. That will likely not occur until 2021.

However, if there is no reason to cancel now you should wait unless your reservations are fully refundable now. VRBO will have to do something about refunds if travel is not allowed during your dates.
 

Neil Maley

Moderator
Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
21,572
21,567
113
New York
www.promalvacations.com
VRBO has this posted on their website:


For reservations with a stay night after April 30:

  • If your trip is after April 30, you should review your booking’s cancellation policy first and take action during your cancellation window.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jsn55
Apr 28, 2017
39
13
8
New Jersey
VRBO has this posted on their website:


For reservations with a stay night after April 30:

  • If your trip is after April 30, you should review your booking’s cancellation policy first and take action during your cancellation window.
On the one hand it would be prudent to just cancel. Part of me is still holding out hope we will be able to go. Obviously, if we wait too long to cancel that's on us. I'm hoping to hold off on making a decision for another few weeks. I expect it to peak by then.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jsn55
Sep 19, 2015
5,542
8,260
113
49
I'm currently living in the UK with my husband and toddler. We have quite the vacation planned for this summer to visit family back home in the US. Part of that is a home rental through VRBO in July. It looks like VRBO is not doing anything at the moment for plans this far out, but I also do not want to wait too long to cancel.
Is the current advice to hold off on canceling July trips? We also need to manage our plane tickets, car rentals as well as a second vacation planned for our time in the US.
I'm lost as to how to proceed. TIA
At this point I think it is too early to tell. What is the cancellation policy for the rental?
 

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
9,248
10,033
113
San Francisco
I know how you feel, Janxo ... the situation we find ourselves in feels surreal. I'd study the cancellation policy of your VRBO rental and determine how much risk you're willing to take. I swim against the current of nearly everyone, but I think we'll all be travelling again in July ... just the opinion of an optimist. Review all the plans you've already made, think about what you still need to arrange, and set some date limits up for your family. "If this happens by that date, we'll do whatever" kind of thing ... it will help with your sanity. The important thing, which you already know, is not to jump into the fire but to wait it out. We are NOT used to this kind of thing in the UK or the US, that's for sure. But wait we will ... the thought of a toddler in quarantine on arrival from UK is not to be contemplated. Please come back with any specific questions and we'll do our best.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ADM