Not my fault - Any ideas?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 22, 2019
To make a long story short, a delivery driver got out of his car and did not put it in park and the van ran into our double garage door. He did not tell me, I saw him lurking so I opened my garage door as he was was about to drive away. He saw me, stopped, got out of his car and pointed to the top of my garage and said I almost hit the top of your garage. I turned around and looked up at top and did not see anything. Went back inside, shut the garage and thought that was odd. I pulled up my cameras and saw what really happened. I Opened the claim with Amazon, had the same people who installed our doors do estimate etc. here is my concern, per garage door folks, even with ordering same product, doors will not match. My ask of Amazon insurance is to also replace my single door. This is the main elevation of my home and when you pull up and we want to sell next year. The additional cost is $1183. To me this is similar to siding and roofing. I Just feel robbed as if driver did not hit my door (remember he did not tell me and had the chance), I would not be in this situation and I spend a lot of money with this company. I am having a real battle with their insurance company. Thoughts? P.s. I can share video if anyone wants to see it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don’t see Amazon having to replace a door that wasn’t hit. I understand your concern and agree that the color might be off replacing only one door.

Have you put in a claim with your homeowners insurance?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Do you belong to an HOA that has rules? Our HOA would REQUIRE all doors to match after the repair, in the same vein as roofs cannot be patched with different materials and must be redone in the entirety.
I’d so, you should present that data to Amazon.
How cruddy of them to refuse to make it right for you.
You can always sue them, the video would be a BIG help.
They are responsible for their drivers actions.
If you have an attorney friend who could write a letter that usually goes a long way In persuading a proper response.

Dec 19, 2014
Too much missing information (or unclear information) in your original post.

1) What was the damage?
2) Has Amazon accepted responsibility for the damage?
3) Is the issue that Amazon isn't accepting responsibility for the damage? or is it that Amazon is proposing a different repair than what you desire?
4) If you repair the single door, won't that not match?

Sep 22, 2019
Too much missing information (or unclear information) in your original post.

1) What was the damage?
2) Has Amazon accepted responsibility for the damage?
3) Is the issue that Amazon isn't accepting responsibility for the damage? or is it that Amazon is proposing a different repair than what you desire?
4) If you repair the single door, won't that not match?
The damage is to the double garage door and they have accepted responsibility and they are replacing that door. The problem is the color won’t match my single garage door as the product has changed overtime. The don’t want to pay for single garage door as driver did not hit that door. My opinion is I need to be made whole as the doors won’t match.

Sep 22, 2019
I don’t see Amazon having to replace a door that wasn’t hit. I understand your concern and agree that the color might be off replacing only one door.

Have you put in a claim with your homeowners insurance?
No as it’s not worth it if I have to pay for it, I will just pay for it. Just hoping they will do the right thing or offer something towards it.

Sep 22, 2019
Do you belong to an HOA that has rules? Our HOA would REQUIRE all doors to match after the repair, in the same vein as roofs cannot be patched with different materials and must be redone in the entirety.
I’d so, you should present that data to Amazon.
How cruddy of them to refuse to make it right for you.
You can always sue them, the video would be a BIG help.
They are responsible for their drivers actions.
If you have an attorney friend who could write a letter that usually goes a long way In persuading a proper response.
Good idea, I will check my HOA rules. Thanks

Dec 19, 2014
I'm going to disagree with my fellow advocates that replacement of the single door is necessary to "make you whole."

You cite "this is similar to siding and roofing. If you have a tree damage a corner of your roof, no insurance company is going to replace the ENTIRE roof. They will replace the damaged section, even if the shingles are not a 100% match. Similarly, if you have damage to siding, they will replace the damaged siding, not the entire siding on the house.

If the company can replace the door with the same model and design, and the match is only because the older single door's paint is faded, then it is completely unreasonable to ask them to replace the single door with a new one. You will have a stronger case if the replacement door requires a new design or if the replacement is completely out of place.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I'm going to disagree with my fellow advocates that replacement of the single door is necessary to "make you whole."

You cite "this is similar to siding and roofing. If you have a tree damage a corner of your roof, no insurance company is going to replace the ENTIRE roof. They will replace the damaged section, even if the shingles are not a 100% match. Similarly, if you have damage to siding, they will replace the damaged siding, not the entire siding on the house.

If the company can replace the door with the same model and design, and the match is only because the older single door's paint is faded, then it is completely unreasonable to ask them to replace the single door with a new one. You will have a stronger case if the replacement door requires a new design or if the replacement is completely out of place.
Not true in Florida. Guess it depends on your state laws.
Many homeowners had roof damage after Irma (sep2017). If the roof material (type of tile for instance) is no longer available then insurance is required to pay for whole.new.roof.
Most neighborhoods have high standards that must be upheld.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I assumed the door was some sort of metal that is powder coated rather than roll-on paint and that the dye lot could be different (although with the color formula, it should be matchable.)

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I assumed the door was some sort of metal that is powder coated rather than roll-on paint and that the dye lot could be different (although with the color formula, it should be matchable.)
I assumed it was more of an issue with pattern and less an issue with paint.
Most garage doors have windows or a block pattern etc that could change from time to time.

Jun 12, 2019

Since this was Amazon, if the claim is being handled under Amazon's policy, they are likely self insured. They might not deal with a lot of property damage claims for garage doors. If I was the adjuster and you showed me that the doors do not match, I would first take the stance that you got a similar door matching the factory specs. Of course, paint fades over time and it will not match. It might be more reasonable to paint both doors to match. Replacement of both doors would be reasonable if painting is not possible. Your doors were the same color before the accident and not having them match does not make you whole. It is like repairing your car door and not paying to tint/blend/feather the newly painted panel to the other panels on the car, totally unreasonable.

Don't file a claim with your homeowners on this one, just inquiring about a claim may cause the insurance company to not renew. Just be persistent that you had matching doors before the accident and they are required to indemnify you. You could easily make the argument in court that mismatched doors does not bring you back to pre-accident condition. You are not obligated under a contract to accept this, so keep pestering them until they behave. Do everything by email and insist that all responses be done by email. Good Luck!

Nov 20, 2015
just inquiring about a claim may cause the insurance company to not renew.
It's pretty disheartening to learn that just calling to ask a few questions can lead an insurer to decline a policy renewal; however, I don't think this knowledge would keep me from making inquiries. If I have to find a new insurer, so be it.

Jun 12, 2019
It's pretty disheartening to learn that just calling to ask a few questions can lead an insurer to decline a policy renewal; however, I don't think this knowledge would keep me from making inquiries. If I have to find a new insurer, so be it.
I was advised not to file a claim when my home was burglarized but we did anyways. My agent said that Total payout was around 6k but they gave notice of non-renewal. New insurance with the loss on my record is now $1300 vs $700. I guess I am still ahead of the game since the loss would stay on my report for 7 years.

Here is an article that discuss about just asking about a claim:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-an-insurance-claim-can-make-your-rate-go-up/

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sorry...no edit button.

My agent said that just asking would cause a possible increase/non-renewal.
We always advise clients to call the travel insurance company if they have questions about a policy they are considering. We are not insurance salespeople so by law we cannot answer questions about travel insurance. In 18 years we have never had someone denied a policy because they asked questions before hand.