Norwegian Cruise Lines, breach of contract lost luggage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 2, 2018
While I won't dispute that being without your luggage on a cruise is no way to enjoy yourself, I don't think it's fair to assign 100% of the 'fault' to NCL. Shoreshide personnel, namely the porters who handle the luggage at embarkation, are not employees of the cruise line. They work for the port agent and it is their responsibility to make sure that the bags get loaded onto the carts and lifted on to the ship. The cruise line has (a) no way of knowing how many suitcases you've left with the porters, or (b) the ability to cross check every piece of luggage as it comes across the gangway to make sure each passenger's luggage is accounted for. Unfortunately, the only way to be absolutely sure your luggage makes it on to the ship is to carry it on board yourself, but most people don't want to drag bags around for a couple of hours until the staterooms are ready.

That being said, it is reasonable to expect that NCL could have done a little more to help out in the name of good customer service. Other lines I've had experience on will offer a credit to be used only in the shops to purchase some essential clothing and personal items, as well as free laundry services throughout the voyage so that clothes you do have can be regularly laundered. Cab fare to the WalMart would have been nice - but considering you didn't even want to do that on your own I'm not sure that gesture would have been appreciated.

Your situation is one reason why, whenever my husband and I cruise, we cross-pack our bags. No one suitcase carries all the clothing for one person...a little bit of everything is in every bag...just in case this scenario happens for us. When we travel anywhere, we take the attitude that as long as we have a credit card we have everything we need. I'd hate to spend all that money on a special vacation and let something spoil it.
Sorry but I will have to disagree with you on the fault part of it. At the end of the day, the OP does not contract with the port authority, NCL does. The OP contracts with NCL to have their luggage put on the ship.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sorry but I will have to disagree with you on the fault part of it. At the end of the day, the OP does not contract with the port authority, NCL does. The OP contracts with NCL to have their luggage put on the ship.
That's correct. The cruise line should have called the pier to see if the bag was there.

The same thing happened on our recent NCL cruise. People across the hall never received their bag, the night before we were getting off the ship, they finally put a note in everyone cabin asking if they had seen the bag. If by that time no one had turned it it they should have figured out it never left the pier.

Sep 19, 2018
I agree with everyone's posts. Yes, NCL limits liability for loss of luggage to $100. In a sense however, we are not eligible even for that. Our luggage was eventually returned. Our argument is more subtle and not addressed through typical contract language. More of an ethical thing. Through their admitted negligence NCL deprived us of the comfort and convenience of a full cruise experience. Subtle difference yes, and I know in a way the upset and disruption stems from the lost luggage, but in our minds it is different even if not enforceable under contract. I know it sounds strange but we would not have had near the problem with this incident if they had lost our luggage permanently, after the cruise. We were banking on the good faith of NCL to do the right thing and acknowledge that the incident added stress and hassle factors to our cruise through no fault of our own. We were perfectly willing to settle for the future cruise credits, even though it involves us spending more money and is not our ideal resolution, if they would have just allowed us to consolidate credits without all the strings attached. Believe me, I begged them to simply lift the consolidation restrictions so we can all put this behind us. In turn we likely would have become grateful, loyal customers. Seems like a win win for all involved.

As to our loss of luggage being the responsibility of a third party, private contractor, NCL told us up front, while we were still on board, that they accepted full responsibility for the misplacement due to the fact the third party was acting as their agent. NCL made it perfectly clear they were in no way saying they were absolved of responsibility for leaving our luggage behind in Seattle.

Thank-you for the suggestion of cross packing. I will do that in the future whether I'm flying on an airplane or in any other situation where luggage is turned over to a third party. Makes very good sense. At least by learning to do this, something positive has come out of this situation!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This was indeed an awful thing to happen on a cruise. I sympathize ... but I would have jumped in a cab, spent an hour at WalMart and been done with the whole subject. I'd have the outfit I boarded with, another in my carryon and a third in my husband's suitcase. I never travel with anything that's not hand-washable, so I could have gone on forever with the three sets of clothes and shoes. This is what we advise travellers day in and day out. Be prepared, don't let other people ruin your experience. NCL is not exactly a top-notch line, and it sounds as if there is negotiation going on for compensation. No doubt they would have paid for my new WalMart duds without much fuss. If you pack thinking you'll never see your suitcase again, you'll travel far more comfortably.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
My wife and I cross pack as well. We even advise our clients to do so too - all it takes is a lost bag once and you'll know how helpful this can be.
The best way to not lose your bags is to take them with you! Of course, that means you have to be savvy packers. For many years we've managed with one wheeled carry-on each even on extended cruises and other trips, including one of 32 days – 10 days in London, 4 in Copenhagen, and 18 on the Emerald Princess, formal nights included. And adequate to protect us from a London deluge that deposited an inch of rain one day, and for below-freezing temperatures in Greenland another.
http://www.jludwick.com/Notes/Princess_09/Paris.html#luggage

Also, coincidentally, on a 14-day Alaskan cruise.
http://www.jludwick.com/Notes/Alaska_10/Itinerary.html

Admittedly, for our 31-day Antarctic trip,
http://www.jludwick.com/Notes/Antarctica/Penguins.html
when we needed to pack "dairy boots," trekking poles, more layers than usual, and still have room on the return to include the puffy jacket and parka Seabourn provided, we borrowed larger wheeled duffels from a friend who has a different packing philosophy. (The mid-summer 90+ temperatures in the destination port of Buenos Aires precluded our wearing them ashore.) Although we had to check them for the air legs, we wheeled them with us everywhere else, including onto the ship.

Sep 19, 2018
Not exactly. I emailed A.Stuart, waited a week with no reply, and then emailed all three simultaneously. I've now emailed Stuart twice. No reply from any.

Jul 25, 2018
This was indeed an awful thing to happen on a cruise. I sympathize ... but I would have jumped in a cab, spent an hour at WalMart and been done with the whole subject. I'd have the outfit I boarded with, another in my carryon and a third in my husband's suitcase. I never travel with anything that's not hand-washable, so I could have gone on forever with the three sets of clothes and shoes. This is what we advise travellers day in and day out. Be prepared, don't let other people ruin your experience. NCL is not exactly a top-notch line, and it sounds as if there is negotiation going on for compensation. No doubt they would have paid for my new WalMart duds without much fuss. If you pack thinking you'll never see your suitcase again, you'll travel far more comfortably.

Agreed about just going to Walmart. And if they have travel insurance, the Baggage Delay coverage would reimburse them a certain amount -- not enough to become re-outfitted at Saks, but adequate for Walmart, ten minutes drive from the port. On their return to Ketchikan they could then take a city bus to other sites for a satisfying shore excursion. As we did:
http://www.jludwick.com/Notes/Alaska_10/Ketchikan.html

And in spite of what they told you at the time, after a few well-written notes to Elliott's contacts they probably would have reimbursed you for the taxi.

May 26, 2018
I am hoping NCL offers more compensation to this passenger, but am doubtful. I'm a frequent cruiser, but only occasionally with NCL. I practice the cross packing procedure and always carry on a change of clothes and enough essentials to last a week, which has come in handy on several occasions. On a recent NCL cruise, we returned from a day in port to find all our stateroom furniture on our veranda. A leaky pipe in the wall had flooded our cabin. Fortunately the water did not intrude on the clothes closet, but for 4 of the 7 nights we only had access to the bathroom and closet of our cabin. The balcony was filled with furniture. The bed was replaced inside the cabin every evening, supposedly so we could sleep, but since the carpet was saturated and fans were constantly running, we spent 4 mostly sleepless nights. We implemented the 3 "P's" of persistence, politeness and patience, then added another double "P": physical presence at the guest services desk. NCL gave us no compensation. Not even a discount on a future cruise or a specialty restaurant dinner. I know these circumstances are different but since NCL Cruiser could have avoided his unfortunate situation by packing more proactively and there was nothing we could have done to avoid the occurrence of our event if NCL offers anything I will be surprised. From what I have experienced NCL customer service is appallingly lacking and we finally just let it go. Holding out hope for some good news on this issue.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am hoping NCL offers more compensation to this passenger, but am doubtful. I'm a frequent cruiser, but only occasionally with NCL. I practice the cross packing procedure and always carry on a change of clothes and enough essentials to last a week, which has come in handy on several occasions. On a recent NCL cruise, we returned from a day in port to find all our stateroom furniture on our veranda. A leaky pipe in the wall had flooded our cabin. Fortunately the water did not intrude on the clothes closet, but for 4 of the 7 nights we only had access to the bathroom and closet of our cabin. The balcony was filled with furniture. The bed was replaced inside the cabin every evening, supposedly so we could sleep, but since the carpet was saturated and fans were constantly running, we spent 4 mostly sleepless nights. We implemented the 3 "P's" of persistence, politeness and patience, then added another double "P": physical presence at the guest services desk. NCL gave us no compensation. Not even a discount on a future cruise or a specialty restaurant dinner. I know these circumstances are different but since NCL Cruiser could have avoided his unfortunate situation by packing more proactively and there was nothing we could have done to avoid the occurrence of our event if NCL offers anything I will be surprised. From what I have experienced NCL customer service is appallingly lacking and we finally just let it go. Holding out hope for some good news on this issue.
Wow, gator, what a truly terrible story. I have no personal experience save one NCL cruise a million years ago, but I have heard that they're pretty chintzy. YOUR story, however, is way beyond chintzy, they should have given you a 75% credit on a future cruise for that kind of inconvenience. I don't think I would have been half as accommodating as you were.

Apr 23, 2018
I know there is very little 'Hospitality' in the hospitality industry anymore, but not offering the OP cab fare to the Wal-Mart is pretty insulting.

Since they've already been offered $2200 in credits (rather than the $100/bag contractural reimbursement), I'd fight for having those credits consolidated into credits for he and his wife -- without the extra red tape and fees involved. At least he and his wife would get a decent do-over trip.
I know there is very little 'Hospitality' in the hospitality industry anymore, but not offering the OP cab fare to the Wal-Mart is pretty insulting.

Since they've already been offered $2200 in credits (rather than the $100/bag contractural reimbursement), I'd fight for having those credits consolidated into credits for he and his wife -- without the extra red tape and fees involved. At least he and his wife would get a decent do-over trip.
Why should the credits be spread out at all? It was the wife's luggage that was "lost." She should get 100% of a damned good credit. And talk about NCL's tunnel thinking! What idiot didn't think of initiating a search at the Seattle dock at the same time the on-board search was initiated? NCL has to own up on several fronts here.