Norwegian Cruise Lines, breach of contract lost luggage

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 19, 2018
Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL) lost my wife's luggage, leaving it behind as we set sail to Alaska from Seattle on July 28, 2018. My wife had to endure everything associated with not having any of her personal belongings throughout the week; no swimming, posing in family reunion photos in borrowed pajamas, rejection from activities on board requiring closed toed shoes etc. NCL, both on board guest relations dept., and later corporate, have been incredibly resistant to making any type of reasonable offer of compensation. The most they have offered are small stipends for future cruise credits. These "credits" are spread across 6 of my family members. In other words, to utilize these small partial credits, I have to book 6 new fares within a short period of time. In order to transfer any of these credits it is incumbent on me to write transfer letters, seek out a notary and pay all associated costs. In my opinion, I paid for 6 full fare tickets with the expectation NCL would deliver a complete cruise experience for each of us. My wife and I did not receive what we paid for. The corporate staff have been incredibly rude and dismissive and do not hold true to the expressed statements of upper management who say they value customer loyalty and repeat business. My assigned case agent refuses to communicate and will not allow me to speak with a supervisor now that our negotiations have reached a standstill.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did your wife buy any clothing while in port to be able to enjoy the trip? The bathing suit would have been the least you needed to worry about - we’ve done two Alaskan cruises and it was too cold to swim in the pools.

I can imagine how unhappy you must have both been. I know my wife would have been furious.

Were they unable to fly it to one of the ports? There were things they might have been able to do.

You don’t need NCL to give you company contacts. We have them! Check our company contacts page on top of the forums. We have the emails for the Executives. Start at the lowest executive we show and give them a week to reply. Repeat weekly if you have to.

Let us know how your writing campaign does.

Jul 13, 2016
So NCL had your wife's bag at the embarkation port, but didn't fly it to the next port? Maybe they didn't fly it to the next port because of customs issues (Seattle embarkation)?

Or have they lost it entirely?

Jul 13, 2016
That has nothing to do with flying a suitcase- that’s only for people.
Yes, but when you fly unaccompanied goods to another country, I believe there are some paperwork and legalities to deal with--and NCL may not have wanted to go to the trouble.

However, my idea was just speculation. If OP returns we can find out if the suitcase took a staycation in Seattle, or if it is missing in action, maybe roaming the world like the gnome in Amelie.

Sep 19, 2015
Why have negotiations reached a standstill and why do they no longer respond?

Did they reimburse for any purchases at all. Was the luggage just sitting in storage?

Sorry if I am asking dumb questions — not a cruise person.

Sep 19, 2018
Norwegian spent most of the week looking for the lost luggage onboard the ship. They truly felt it had been misplaced or that another traveler had mistakenly or otherwise pulled in into their room. Supposedly a ship wide search was conducted. Flyers went out to all rooms. It was not until about Thurs, on a Sat-Sat cruise, that they actually located the missing bag on the Seattle docks. Because of this series of events, NCL never even discussed flying the bag to a different port. The bag was returned to us immed upon disembarkation. The undisputed responsibility for this incident rests solely on NCL.

NCL gave $250 in onboard credits, two meals in a specialty restaurant, a tee shirt and toiletry bag. They told us there was a Walmart (Ketchikan) we could visit to buy new clothes. The problems with this was the time in port(s) was very limited and we chose to go on excursions rather than try to find Walmart. To add insult to injury, NCL told us we would have to pay all cab fare to reach Walmart.

After the cruise, NCL corporate extended future cruise credits to us. They spread these amounts across the accounts of our six family members, making them essentially worthless unless we book 6 family members at a far greater cost than the credits ($2200 in aggregate spread across 6 accounts).

I hope everyone reading this never has the pleasure of trying to resolve any type of problem with Norweigan.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We had our own incident with Norwegian on our Cuba cruise this year and the incompetence on the ship
and after was unbelievable.

Did you by any chance book through a travel agent? They can go to their sales manager and see if they can get more.

Otherwise, use our contacts to the Executives. I personally don’t think what they offered is adequate.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It looks like the Norwegian ships have shops onboard that sell clothes. For $250 your wife must have been able to find a pair of shoes, a dress, and a bathing suit.

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/bliss#whats-on-board
SHOES? How about flip flops, cause that is the extent of shoes on a cruise you can buy. If you have never sailed on a ship - the clothing they sell is fine if you need a t shirt or sweat shirt but they don't stock wardrobes. No dresses, no shoes. My wife said to also say if a woman is larger than a size 4, there is certainly no bathing suite to be found either.

Jul 13, 2016
SHOES? How about flip flops, cause that is the extent of shoes on a cruise you can buy. If you have never sailed on a ship - the clothing they sell is fine if you need a t shirt or sweat shirt but they don't stock wardrobes. No dresses, no shoes. My wife said to also say if a woman is larger than a size 4, there is certainly no bathing suite to be found either.
Agree! very little choice in shoes--no under garments, and nothing above a size 12 in a tee shirt--unless you jump over to the men's side.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Flip flops are not shoes; they are terrible for posture, ankles, support and walking.

I am not a cruise person, and am not surprised that the on board retail is not for shopping for real life.

I would have been furious had I been in this situation.

Sep 27, 2017
I know there is very little 'Hospitality' in the hospitality industry anymore, but not offering the OP cab fare to the Wal-Mart is pretty insulting.

Since they've already been offered $2200 in credits (rather than the $100/bag contractural reimbursement), I'd fight for having those credits consolidated into credits for he and his wife -- without the extra red tape and fees involved. At least he and his wife would get a decent do-over trip.

Feb 21, 2018
While I won't dispute that being without your luggage on a cruise is no way to enjoy yourself, I don't think it's fair to assign 100% of the 'fault' to NCL. Shoreshide personnel, namely the porters who handle the luggage at embarkation, are not employees of the cruise line. They work for the port agent and it is their responsibility to make sure that the bags get loaded onto the carts and lifted on to the ship. The cruise line has (a) no way of knowing how many suitcases you've left with the porters, or (b) the ability to cross check every piece of luggage as it comes across the gangway to make sure each passenger's luggage is accounted for. Unfortunately, the only way to be absolutely sure your luggage makes it on to the ship is to carry it on board yourself, but most people don't want to drag bags around for a couple of hours until the staterooms are ready.

That being said, it is reasonable to expect that NCL could have done a little more to help out in the name of good customer service. Other lines I've had experience on will offer a credit to be used only in the shops to purchase some essential clothing and personal items, as well as free laundry services throughout the voyage so that clothes you do have can be regularly laundered. Cab fare to the WalMart would have been nice - but considering you didn't even want to do that on your own I'm not sure that gesture would have been appreciated.

Your situation is one reason why, whenever my husband and I cruise, we cross-pack our bags. No one suitcase carries all the clothing for one person...a little bit of everything is in every bag...just in case this scenario happens for us. When we travel anywhere, we take the attitude that as long as we have a credit card we have everything we need. I'd hate to spend all that money on a special vacation and let something spoil it.

Apr 10, 2017
My wife and I cross pack as well. We even advise our clients to do so too - all it takes is a lost bag once and you'll know how helpful this can be.
My husband and I do the same thing and Air France managed to lose both of our bags a few years ago. Fortunately we had a decent amount of clothing in our carry ons and we got one of the bags back 3 days into the trip. The second bag didn't show up for 2 1/2 weeks so we were very glad we split up our stuff.