Norwegian charged for add on we did not order, refuses to remove this charge

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 22, 2019
Norwegian added optional food charge of $270 to our tickets ( from US to Spain, round-trip) without us realizing this until a few days later. When we contacted customer service and explained that we never ordered food, only the tickets, but this charge appears on out invoice, the rep insisted that we did in fact order it and the charge was nonrefundable. how can you possibly proof what was going on while placing an order online (on a smartphone) if we have no way to control their website? No matter what we say they will insist that their website is working correctly and it is all our fault

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I’ve never heard of this. What does your confirmation you received after booking say- does it show a food add on?

Are you sure you booked on Norwegians website, not a look alike site?

If the confirmation you received after booking doesn’t show the add in- send the confirmation to them. If it does, you had 24 hours to correct it.

Jan 22, 2019
The body of confirmation email just shows flight date and time, no charges. to view charges you'd have to open an attached invoice or log in to you account which you would do if you suspected something like that.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The body of confirmation email just shows flight date and time, no charges. to view charges you'd have to open an attached invoice or log in to you account which you would do if you suspected something like that.
You should ALWAYS open the attachment and make sure everything is ok. What if you misspelled the name or booked a wrong date? You have 24 hours to fix it, just as you would have if this was mistakenly added on.

Please open the confirmation and tell us what it says.

Jan 22, 2019
I did that too--pretended to buy another ticked from their website on my phone-- out of all optional services it takes you through only food is preselected for you, meaning if you do not click any button but proceed with reservation (no choice is made, like you would do on pages prompting you to choose other optional services) they will add food to your order automatically. Which is prohibited by DOT, here is copy and paste from transportation.gov
  • Airlines and ticket agents are prohibited from automatically including optional services in the ticket price. For example, an airline cannot preselect optional services such as on-board Wi-Fi, baggage fees, extra legroom, and other optional services during the booking process thereby forcing the consumer to opt-out of these services (and additional charges) by unselecting them.

Sep 19, 2015
As Neil said one has 24 hours to review an airline ticket in the US and cancel without penalty.

The attachment is the receipt with the break down of the ticket and charges.

I hate making airline bookings on mobiles as I am afraid of making mistakes on smaller keyboard.

Sep 19, 2015
I did that too--pretended to buy another ticked from their website on my phone-- out of all optional services it takes you through only food is preselected for you, meaning if you do not click any button but proceed with reservation (no choice is made, like you would do on pages prompting you to choose other optional services) they will add food to your order automatically. Which is prohibited by DOT, here is copy and paste from transportation.gov
  • Airlines and ticket agents are prohibited from automatically including optional services in the ticket price. For example, an airline cannot preselect optional services such as on-board Wi-Fi, baggage fees, extra legroom, and other optional services during the booking process thereby forcing the consumer to opt-out of these services (and additional charges) by unselecting them.
There are two ways to proceed — blue at top for continue without meal choices and red at the bottom for continue with the meal choices — so there are two different ways to proceed.

Jan 22, 2019
I do not want to return tickets, I think no one should be sold what he did not order in the first place. It is a good idea to read fine print and check receipts within 24 hours but even if one does not, how can the airline make you purchase what you have not actively selected?
And, there is no option "proceed with meals" it says "Proceed with reservation". this is what i see on my phone

1548178196691.png

Jan 22, 2019
Christina, you are right, we had to do the order 2-3 times until it went through. It is awkward. However, if airline cannot guarantee their mobile site performance they should not offer option to order on the phone

Jan 22, 2019
No, I did not open attachment within 24hrs. I opened it later. Attachment has food in it.
Am I understanding the dot rule incorrectly?
Christina, was food also prselected when you got to this part of booking? This is what i get on my phone. It does seem to contradict the above rule, doesnt it?

Sep 19, 2015
As I said it is an awkward site —

As you can see from the screenshot I posted above first the meal area Has ancontinie without meal above in blue and proceed with reservation in red below as you have shown.

This is the same way for seats-

At this point I would say write to the execs in the matter advises.

The DOT dispute section has been furloughed so nothing will happen before you leave from that side.
1548185230543.jpeg

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I would write to them using our contacts. Tell them their mobile site automatically selects the meal option which is forbidden by the DOT and if you do not get that refunded you will be filing a DOT complaint.

Also in the future, open the confirmations as soon as you get them- this could have been easily fixed within 24 hours if it is on the confirmation. It is every passengers responsibility to do this on every booking you made. Mistakes do happen and you have 24 hours to fix them.

Nov 7, 2018
I would write to them using our contacts. Tell them their mobile site automatically selects the meal option which is forbidden by the DOT and if you do not get that refunded you will be filing a DOT complaint.

Also in the future, open the confirmations as soon as you get them- this could have been easily fixed within 24 hours if it is on the confirmation. It is every passengers responsibility to do this on every booking you made. Mistakes do happen and you have 24 hours to fix them.

The contacts work!
I am happy to say I got my money returned after I went through the guidelines and contacts in the proper order!!!

Moderator Note: This is referring to a different issue not the one being discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 19, 2015
barcelonatraveler as Neil says writing to the contacts is your best option. As the travel is a month away the airline is not out of any money -- point out that the default on the mobile goes to the tasty meal at $45 option -- this does not happen on the normal website.

If you do make a DOT complaint please remember that aside from the shut down, the DOT takes a long time to investigate -- and they do not force a company to reimburse the traveler, but instead fine the company and that money goes to the government,

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
barcelonatraveler as Neil says writing to the contacts is your best option. As the travel is a month away the airline is not out of any money -- point out that the default on the mobile goes to the tasty meal at $45 option -- this does not happen on the normal website.

If you do make a DOT complaint please remember that aside from the shut down, the DOT takes a long time to investigate -- and they do not force a company to reimburse the traveler, but instead fine the company and that money goes to the government,
They received a refund- the issue was resolved