Norwegian Air

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 7, 2018
Norwegian Air Cancelled my flight reservation when I only called with an inquiry, the day after I purchase, (Jan 4.
I wrote immediately when I found out. (Aug. 4, a few days before the flight). It took them over 2 months to respond and they refused my request.
I booked in Jan 2018 and had to rebook in Aug 2018, which resulted in a $188.90 fare difference. Additionally, my original fare, paid in Jan., was not returned until August 2018 when I called to inquire, "What happened to my reservation?"
I submitted an appeal through customer service and it was denied.
They held my money ($550.) for 8 months and then I had to pay an extra $188 for the same ticket!

Nov 7, 2018
I asked if it was possible to cancel as I saw I could get the same trip about $50 less from a Norwegian EU site. But I never actually cancelled. It was only an inquiry.
No, they sent no notice, but they stated in their reply, they are not required ti do that within the first 24 hours.
But I never got my funds back until I inquired before my trip in Aug., so I had no reason to believe anything was amiss.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Mar 23, 2015
If someone called me and said, "Hi, I'm wondering if I can cancel my flight?" I'd ask for the trip identifier, and say, "Ok, done." How would they have known WHAT flight to cancel unless you provided that information?

Sep 19, 2015
Did you call within 24 hours? If you buy the ticket at 2 pm and call the next day at 2:15 pm that would be too late.

I have to admit to being confused. You saw a price on a foreign website for $50 less, decided not to cancel, then called months later — did they finally ever refund you? You say they refused your request— was that for a refund? Did you get a credit?

Nov 7, 2018
Yes, I called within 24 hours. They refunded my original purchase price 8 months later when I discovered it had been cancelled.
I am not sure if I even told them I could get it cheaper, I probably just inquired about cancellation.
I had no reason to suspect the flight I purchased in Jan for my Aug vacation was not intact.

Nov 7, 2018
If someone called me and said, "Hi, I'm wondering if I can cancel my flight?" I'd ask for the trip identifier, and say, "Ok, done." How would they have known WHAT flight to cancel unless you provided that information?
Yes, I gave them all my details as that was my inquiry.

Nov 7, 2018
Did you call within 24 hours? If you buy the ticket at 2 pm and call the next day at 2:15 pm that would be too late.

I have to admit to being confused. You saw a price on a foreign website for $50 less, decided not to cancel, then called months later — did they finally ever refund you? You say they refused your request— was that for a refund? Did you get a credit?
They refunded my original purchase price, but not the $188 more that I had to pay because of purchasing only a week before the flight.

Nov 7, 2018

I asked for the price difference and I did not get it.

Sep 19, 2015
Okay now I understand what happened.

I am not sure if a tape would be kept from 11 months ago.

And when Norwegian canceled it the money should have been refunded — no uncertainty there.

Question— if they do not want to refund cash would you take a voucher? Or will you never use them again?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Flight reservations need to be reviewed monthly, weekly the last month before the flight, and daily the last week before the flight. This is especially true with a low-cost airline. There are reasons they are selling cheaper tix than the legacy airlines ... lack of customer service. Travellers put far too much confidence in minimum-wage call center people.

Mar 17, 2015
I think the OP has a strong case since the fare was not immediately refunded. Someone at NA messed up. If you cancel the fare within 24 hours, isn't the refund supposed to be within a certain timeframe? Not 8 months later. I do agree that when making travel arrangements months in advance that checking on the reservation at least once a month is good advice, however, I read this forum :), I am not sure a normal person would think to check on it every month.

If you will fly with them again. request a voucher as that may be easier for them to give. Plus, you may get a bit more than the fare difference for the hassel with a voucher.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I think the OP has a strong case since the fare was not immediately refunded. Someone at NA messed up. If you cancel the fare within 24 hours, isn't the refund supposed to be within a certain timeframe? Not 8 months later. I do agree that when making travel arrangements months in advance that checking on the reservation at least once a month is good advice, however, I read this forum :), I am not sure a normal person would think to check on it every month.

If you will fly with them again. request a voucher as that may be easier for them to give. Plus, you may get a bit more than the fare difference for the hassel with a voucher.
I agree with you. That’s the key. If they would have refunded right away the OP would have known the flight was canceled.

Use the thread in post 4- that’s what our OP needs to do.

Feb 28, 2018
I booked a norwegian Air Flight, Oakland to Bergen non-stop, earlier this year. The phone call center was in Estonia,. and the clerk was unable to provide much information on in flight meals (fee) beverages(fee) seating ( who knows?). I checked online and discovered that Norwegian has a high level of flight cancellations for various reasons ( mechanical, inadequate rested crew, etc.) and no way to transfer reeservations to any other international airline, offering only seating on the next available flight ( perhaps 2-4 days later). I cancelled my reservations and made other plans. It appears to me that Norwegian has very limited services overall, and any reservation comes with substantial risks, which may be why the ticket prices are so low.

Sep 19, 2015
Stan1 Norwegian has a lot of shortcomings which you highlighted. There is only one thing I can say in Norwegian’s defense —they have a lot of cancellations because they have many Dreamliners aka 787 which have terrible manufacturing defects in the Rolls Royce engines — that is the fault of RR.

I would not fly them for many of the reasons you listed.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I booked a norwegian Air Flight, Oakland to Bergen non-stop, earlier this year. The phone call center was in Estonia,. and the clerk was unable to provide much information on in flight meals (fee) beverages(fee) seating ( who knows?). I checked online and discovered that Norwegian has a high level of flight cancellations for various reasons ( mechanical, inadequate rested crew, etc.) and no way to transfer reeservations to any other international airline, offering only seating on the next available flight ( perhaps 2-4 days later). I cancelled my reservations and made other plans. It appears to me that Norwegian has very limited services overall, and any reservation comes with substantial risks, which may be why the ticket prices are so low.
For a very small airline, Norwegian ranks very high on the list of complaints to elliott.org. It is often in the top 10 in terms of # of complaints, up there with huge companies like American Airlines, Expedia, Marriott, Hertz, Sears, Walmart to name a few.

As pointed out, many of their cancelations are a result of engine problems that are not their fault, but flying with them is a 50--50 toss-up. They are cheap so if you are willing to risk a cancellation and rebooking a week later, try them; otherwise book a real airline that has planes that fly.
Also as noted in this thread, cust service is in short supply.