Norwegian Air schedule change

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 8, 2019
Below is a copy of an email thread between Norwegian airlines and me reagarding a flight reservation that was changed by 2 days (Norwegian DY7076 12/30 to 12/28 Norwegian DY7076) on the outbound flight and 1 day (1/9 Norwegian DY7075 to 1/10 Norwegian D85500 & D17073) on the return flight. Norwegian gave me several months notice of the change. Legally I think they owe me nothing, but they sort of promise compensation for additional expenses that I am incurring. Please let me know how I should proceed before I mess this up. Thank you.

Customer (15/06/2018 07.06 PM)
I originally booked this trip on April 24, 2018 for my family of 4 people. We were to arrive in Barcelona on December 31, 2018 and depart on January 9, 2019. The original itinerary was planned so we could be in Barcelona for new year's eve. The outbound and return flights were direct between Oakland and Barcelona. It is difficult to find accommodations at that time of year so we booked rooms based on the scheduled dates.

On June 13, 2018 I learned that the outbound flight had been changed to depart on December 31 and arrive on January 1. This would cause us to miss the new year's eve celebration. The return flight had been changed to depart on January 11, 2019 necessitating the need to find accommodations for 2 additional nights.

On June 24 2018 I contacted Norwegian customer service. The agent re-booked an outbound flight on December 28, 2018 so we would be able to attend the new year's eve celebration. This necessitated the purchase of 2 additional nights of accommodations for $211.21. The agent re-booked a return flight with a layover in London on January 10, 2019, necessitating the purchase of 1 additional night of accommodation for 89 Euros ($103.24 at the current rate of exchange). This change will cause my 13-year-old son to miss 1 day of school.

In addition to $315.45 in additional cost, this itinerary change has caused me and my family significant inconvenience. While I appreciate being re-booked on alternative flights, I would like to receive a gesture of good will as well. I have suggestions for several ways to satisfy me listed in order from most preferable to least preferable.
:
1. Reimbursement for the $315.45 I have had to spend (receipts attached)
or
2. Travel vouchers for additional flights from Oakland with Norwegian Air (because I like you guys)
or
3. A seat upgrade for all of us on our scheduled trip

Please respond with any option you like or another option that you prefer. Thank you for taking the time to consider my request. Cheers!

--
Dave Krause

Response (02/07/2018 03.29 PM)
Dear David,

Thank you for contacting Norwegian. We apologise for the time it has taken to respond and thank you for your patience in this matter.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused due to the schedule change of your flight with our airline.
On rare occasions, Norwegian is required to cancel a flight on account of circumstances other than a force majeure. On some occasions the airline is given alternative arrival times other than what were originally applied for and as a result, are forced to make adjustments to some flight schedules.
If you should experience any additional costs as a direct consequence of the schedule change (hotel, food, public transportation), you can keep the receipts and send then to us and your claim will be processed by the customer relations department. I can see that you have attached the cost for hotels and I will forward this claim to the correct department.
All claims are answered in chronological order, but please rest assured we will answer you as soon as possible.
Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience caused on this occasion.
Med vennlig hilsen / Best regards,
Lene
Norwegian Kontaktsenter

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
They don’t owe you anything because they notified you early. You had the option of getting a full refund and booking on another airline.

Norwegian Air is in serious financial trouble. They are cutting back flights and unprofitable routes as a means of trying to not fold.

I would certainly send in the receipts to them as they stated but whether or not you’ll see anything, I don’t know due to their financial problems.

Be very careful of using them at all in the future unless their financial situation does a turn around.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
If you look at the annual stats number of cases on this forum you will find Norwegian, a miniscule airline, ranked with some giant companies (AMEX, Marriott, Priceline, Walmart). That is not a positive for a tiny airline. They are "punching above their weight" in terms of numbers of problems. Based on other cases in these forums, they booked you on alternative flights much closer to your original dates than many other cases.

You can use the contacts on this site to make your request, but vouchers on Norwegian will just get you more of the same problems. Reimbursement is less likely since they may cease operations soon, but it does not hurt to ask.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-airlines/