Norwegian Air denied boarding

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 19, 2018
I was denied boarding on a Norwegian airline flight from JFK to Oslo to AYT (Turkey) on Friday, November 16. They told me I needed a visa to transit through Oslo, which I didn't know about, and which they said was a new rule. Also I have an upcoming flight with booking reference Qxxxxx on the same route on December 28,2018. I would like to cancel this flight as I won't be able to get a visa for Norway by that date.

I request a refund for my two flights I couldn't use and I cannot change as Norwegian doesn't offer another route.

I request a full refund of $313.40 on my flight with booking code Qxxxx that I was denied boarding on November 16, 2018.
I also wish to cancel the other upcoming flight with booking reference Qxxxx on the same route as I won't have the time to get a transit visa to make that flight. That flight cost me $403.50.
The value of my claim (in US $) is $716
Date of transaction/travel date: 11/07/2018

Edited by a moderator to remove booking numbers

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 17, 2015
This is not the contact for Norwegian, we are an online help forum. However, we do have company contacts at the top of the page, where you should be able to find the executives for Norwegian. Start with the lowest level, write a polite and concise letter, and ask for an exception. Wait a full week in between writing to the next person on the list.

In the future, please realize that all travel document requirements are the responsibility of the traveler, not the airline. Norwegian was perfectly within its rights to deny you boarding. And since you most likely purchased no refundable airfare, does not have to refund the upcoming flight. I do hope that they grant you an exception at least on the December flight.

Sep 19, 2015
Norway outsources the Visa application to TRavisa. The company makes no guarantees as to processing time — usually 15 days, but could be 30 to 60.

If the OP is a citizen of Turkey it is true that only recently (August 2018) it became necessary to have a transit visa.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If he applies ASAP and all paperwork is correct it should be done within the correct time frame. The delays come about when the paperwork submitted is incorrect.

It’s worth a try than losing money on a nonrefundable flight.

From their terms;

2 We will only provide carriage to the person whose name is stated on the Ticket. You must present valid identification identical to the name on the Ticket on demand in accordance with the rules specified in Article 15. If you cannot present valid identification or the necessary travel documents, e.g. passport or visa, on demand, we reserve the right to refuse you carriage.

Nov 19, 2018
I am a Turkish citizen, and currently I am travelling on business trips. That's why I don't have the capacity or time to apply for and get that visa on time. I was already victimized because of a new rule concerning my citizenship on Friday. Norwegian kept my money on a flight I couldn't take.

Now, rightfully, I expect the airline to make an exception to stop me from losing my second trip, which I won't be able to make without that visa. Also, it costs extra and takes time to get it. I expect the company to refund me as soon as possible so that I can buy another flight through another company/country's airline and can actually go back home. What if I cannot get the visa in time? Who's going to pay for another last minute flight?

My initial flight already cost me over $800 one way. I cannot afford a similar or more expensive flight at the end of December.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Remember Norwegian Airlines did not change the rule. It is not their fault. They cannot transport a passenger who lacks the required passport/visa documents. They may not be swayed by your failure to try to get a visa for late December. Your expectations are not in line with the fare you purchased.

Sep 19, 2015
If someone is traveling on a business trip it would be hard to be without the passport for 2 weeks or more. This is not a case of show up at the Consulate and pay a fee. One cannot just mail in a passport but has to go to the outsourced processing service and have fingerprints taken etc, so I do understand the concern of the OP.

The OP wants to stay in the transit area and not enter Norway, but that is no longer allowed.

Write a nice polite letter asking for an exception to the refund policy.

Sep 19, 2015
And I have to say this was handled badly. The Norwegian Embassy announced the change 8 days before it took effect -- yet the visa processing center requires 15 days for a visa, and possible more.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am a Turkish citizen, and currently I am travelling on business trips. That's why I don't have the capacity or time to apply for and get that visa on time. I was already victimized because of a new rule concerning my citizenship on Friday. Norwegian kept my money on a flight I couldn't take.

Now, rightfully, I expect the airline to make an exception to stop me from losing my second trip, which I won't be able to make without that visa. Also, it costs extra and takes time to get it. I expect the company to refund me as soon as possible so that I can buy another flight through another company/country's airline and can actually go back home. What if I cannot get the visa in time? Who's going to pay for another last minute flight?

My initial flight already cost me over $800 one way. I cannot afford a similar or more expensive flight at the end of December.
It isn’t the airlines fault that you didn’t or don’t have the required Visa. The problem is you used Norwegian Air which is a discounted airline that charges for everything and aren’t very forgiving with cases like this.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/norwegian-airlines/

Use our company contacts and start contacting Norwegian. Explain that due to the sudden change in the visa requirement you were left high and dry. Ask for an exception and if they won’t refund ask due a credit to use. You can request the same for your upcoming trip.

If you have to travel for business what are you going to do about getting the visa for future trips?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

Here is some useful advice for your dealings with Norwegian. They are a low-budget airline with little customer service. They are not responsible for your visa issue, it was your duty to know the rules. If you do not take responsibility for your error and ask them for an exception to their rules, they will probably just ignore you. You will not receive a response at all. They will be doing you a favor by helping you lose less money on this transaction. So it's up to you to stand behind your own decisions and ask them for help.

Jul 2, 2018
Seems very stupid to me that countries such as Norway, China and the European Union demand visas for passengers in TRANSIT.... Passengers are just changing aircraft and remain airside, yet now more and more countries are demanding visas for just transitting.

Just another way that the authorities make it more and more difficult for normal travellers.

Jerry

Sep 19, 2015
Seems very stupid to me that countries such as Norway, China and the European Union demand visas for passengers in TRANSIT.... Passengers are just changing aircraft and remain airside, yet now more and more countries are demanding visas for just transitting.

Just another way that the authorities make it more and more difficult for normal travellers.

Jerry
According to reports this is due to the increase in Turkish citizens asking for asylum in Norway — this was done by Minister of Justice.

But travelers do get caught up in these changes as I noted there was not a lot of advance warning.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com

Jerry
They do not always remain inside the plane - many times they have to disembark. But it is the laws of the other countries, not ours so we rally have nothing to say abotu their laws.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii

Jerry
Many countries require transit visas, including Canada. Why they require such is their decision. You can always try to avoid the countries that require transit visa by choosing another routing.