Norwegian air cancellation rule EU 261

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 14, 2019
Booked nonstop flight JFK to OSL 9/10. Flight cancelled. I was on hold or had cell phone drop for 6 hours. Agent had to privately speak with another agent to be rebooked and I said if we had assigned seats and seats together we would accept it. No assigned seats would be assigned until we got to airport (24+ hours later) and so I said no but agent said we were already ticketed. She offered less than half ticket price refund which I refused and bought 3 tickets to Istanbul and back in Turkish air. $$$! Am I eligible for €600 cancellation per person?
How much do websites which do this charge or can I do it myself?

Thanks

May 1, 2018
Unfortunately, you have no claim under EU261 as Norway nor the USA are part of the EU.
That's not correct. EU261 does apply to EEA countries as well:

EU means the 28 EU countries, including Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, Réunion Island, Mayotte, Saint-Martin (French Antilles), the Azores, Madeira and the Canary Islands as well as Iceland, Norway and Switzerland. It does not include the Faeroe Islands, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

Source: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

OP - you can send this form to the airline to make a claim under EU261: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/site...ir/doc/complain_form/eu_complaint_form_en.pdf

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
That's not correct. EU261 does apply to EEA countries as well:

EU means the 28 EU countries, including Guadeloupe, French Guiana, Martinique, Réunion Island, Mayotte, Saint-Martin (French Antilles), the Azores, Madeira and the Canary Islands as well as Iceland, Norway and Switzerland. It does not include the Faeroe Islands, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

Source: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

OP - you can send this form to the airline to make a claim under EU261: https://ec.europa.eu/transport/site...ir/doc/complain_form/eu_complaint_form_en.pdf
Ah, thanks! I stand corrected.

Sep 20, 2015
Norway has chosen to adhere to EU261, so you do have a legitimate claim for the full 600 euro plus a refund for the Norwegian flights if you opted not to take their offer (assuming the flight was cancelled for some reason within the control of the airline). Norwegian has an online form to fill out to make a claim (https://www.norwegian.com/us/travel-info/delayed-and-cancelled-flights/delayed-flights/ ). Really don't know how amenable they are to EU261 claims--they are kind of in financial hot water, but it's worth going after since it's the law and you certainly were put out.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Booked nonstop flight JFK to OSL 9/10. Flight cancelled. I was on hold or had cell phone drop for 6 hours. Agent had to privately speak with another agent to be rebooked and I said if we had assigned seats and seats together we would accept it. No assigned seats would be assigned until we got to airport (24+ hours later) and so I said no but agent said we were already ticketed. She offered less than half ticket price refund which I refused and bought 3 tickets to Istanbul and back in Turkish air. $$$! Am I eligible for €600 cancellation per person?
How much do websites which do this charge or can I do it myself?

Thanks
You are due a refund for the canceled flight. Did you get a full refund?

Jul 14, 2019
You are due a refund for the canceled flight. Did you get a full refund?
I have filed a claim thanks to help from this forum. I did not use one of the many services which do this for you as they charge 25% . My guess is that this will take longer than we hope but once there, Norway was spectacular and very peaceful .

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I have filed a claim thanks to help from this forum. I did not use one of the many services which do this for you as they charge 25% . My guess is that this will take longer than we hope but once there, Norway was spectacular and very peaceful .
What is your claim for? Is it for a full refund or EU261 compensation? These are different things. Did you receive a REFUND?

Jul 14, 2019
What is your claim for? Is it for a full refund or EU261 compensation? These are different things. Did you receive a REFUND?
I applied for €1800 for 3 passengers. The alternative flights were twice that. I did not accept a refund because it was less than $1000.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This site seems to offer a comprehensive, easily understood explanation of EU261: https://10xtravel.com/eu261-flight-compensation-regulation
The problem with this article is there is no information about extraordinary circumstances.

And she also could have filed on her own once she saw she was eligible for compensation on AirHelp. If you are due compensation, you should receive it if you file properly and don’t need to pay 25% to that company. They use the same form that anyone else uses.

Jul 14, 2019
Can we get both? That would almost cover the airfare we paid because we did not accept their rerouting.

Anyone with experience or info?

TIA.

Adele

Sep 19, 2015
Can we get both? That would almost cover the airfare we paid because we did not accept their rerouting.

TIA.

Adele
Adele I am a little unclear as to what happened. Did you have a round trip ticket on Norwegian?

The outbound was canceled. They offered to rebook you and you said no? Did you take the refund? Did you cancel the outbound?

Did you buy a round trip on Turkish or just one way?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am not sure that demanding that seats be assigned together is a good reason to turn down a replacement flight, as no airline guarantees the seats.

I think some more detail is needed in order to give helpful advice.
I agree, insisting on seats together during a crisis is probably a non-starter. I hope our OP is able to salvage something out of this.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis

TIA.

Adele
Unfortunately, EC261 only requires them:

The airline must offer you, on a one off basis, a choice between:​
  1. the reimbursement of your ticket and, if you have a connecting flight, a return flight to the airport of departure at the earliest opportunity
  2. re-routing to your final destination at the earliest opportunity or,
  3. re-routing at a later date at your convenience under comparable transport conditions, subject to the availability of seats.
If they offered to reroute you, and you didn't accept it, then they are obligated to only refund the original tickets, plus any cost associated with duty of care. Depending on the reason for the cancellation, they may also owe you cash compensation.

If they deny your request in writing or don't provide a response within 6 weeks, you can appeal to the responsible National Enforcement Body for a determination. You can find more information about this in our FAQ.

Jul 14, 2019
Adele I am a little unclear as to what happened. Did you have a round trip ticket on Norwegian?

The outbound was canceled. They offered to rebook you and you said no? Did you take the refund? Did you cancel the outbound?

Did you buy a round trip on Turkish or just one way?
They cancelled original outbound flight on a round trip nonstop ticket. While investigating the options for rebooking, the agent confirmed us on a flight ( she went on another private line to see options) without my approval and I was only told after she booked it . I said I did not accept it and we booked our own flight one way on Turkish. Norwegian agent had offered a very small refund ( not even 1/3 of the round trip) and I refused. We returned on Norwegian on the second part of our reservation.

Since our flight was cancelled and we never accepted or flew with them on outbound flight, I should be eligible under EC 261? I refused partial refund and refused their alternative flight which would have taken us 2 additional days of a 6 day trip and hotel costs, lost prepaid reservations.

Feb 12, 2019
Was 1/3 the price less than what you paid for the leg? Each leg isn't always the same price on a RT flight and an airline is only going to return the cost of that specific leg - not 50% just because the flight was half of your number of flights.