Nordstrom $454 gift card theft

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 7, 2016
I returned 2 items & received a Nordstrom gift card for $454. I have the receipt for the gift card along with the card & PIN number in my hands. No one else has seen this card except for the employee giving me the card. Nordstrom told me over the phone the $454 was put on the card at the time the receipt states. A week later the gift card has a $0 balance & items were purchased online. I never used the gift card online & feel I am the victim of fraud/scam. After making numerous calls to Nordstrom, they told me they can not do anything because the gift card is depleted. They told me I could file a police report. I live in a big city & know the police won't do anything about a gift card. But $454 is a good amount of money to be stolen from my gift card, I believe either from an employee or some scamming ring. Nordstrom should be concerned about this, but they're not nor willing to help me at all. Nordstrom won't tell me the name or address on the online orders & said the police can subpoena them for the information. I'm afraid the police won't believe me as a gift card is treated like cash. I am so upset & been crying all day over this. I don't know what to do.

Last edited:

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
What a rotten thing to have happen to you. First, do file the police report. It may not amount to anything now, but may very well become useful later, and I'll explain why in a bit.

Second, use our company contacts link at the top of the page and you'll find Nordstrums under retail. Write the first executive contact on the list with a short, polite, email explaining what happened and asking Nordstum investigate and return your balance. Do not write all the executives at once and don't start with the CEO. Both will decrease your chances of a successful resolution. Wait a week, if you get no reply, move up the chain.

I hope Nordstrums does the right thing, but if they don't, here is where that police reports going to come in handy. Your next step would be small claims court, and if you don't have that report it will hurt your case.

Best of luck, and let us know of any questions or updates.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Why did Nordstrom give you a gift card instead of refunding your original method of payment? Did you use a credit card to buy them originally? Or cash? Then they were obligated to refund to your card, or reimburse you in cash or by check.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I returned 2 items & received a Nordstrom gift card for $454. I have the receipt for the gift card along with the card & PIN number in my hands. No one else has seen this card except for the employee giving me the card. Nordstrom told me over the phone the $454 was put on the card at the time the receipt states. A week later the gift card has a $0 balance & items were purchased online. I never used the gift card online & feel I am the victim of fraud/scam. After making numerous calls to Nordstrom, they told me they can not do anything because the gift card is depleted. They told me I could file a police report. I live in a big city & know the police won't do anything about a gift card. But $454 is a good amount of money to be stolen from my gift card, I believe either from an employee or some scamming ring. Nordstrom should be concerned about this, but they're not nor willing to help me at all. Nordstrom won't tell me the name or address on the online orders & said the police can subpoena them for the information. I'm afraid the police won't believe me as a gift card is treated like cash. I am so upset & been crying all day over this. I don't know what to do.
Why did you get a gift card? I've returned things at Nordstrom. It refunds you on your credit card or cash depending on what you used.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
A Nordstrom gift card is nothing like cash. Cash can be used anywhere. If Nordstrom will refund you with a police report, then pop into your local precinct. I live in NYC and my local precinct is nearby and accessible. You walk in and tell them you need to file a report about the gift card.
I'm not sure the process from there but I imagine it will get a copy, maybe call Nordstrom. There is nothing to be worried about unless Nordstrom tells the police the items were ordered from your account and shipped to your address:) Then you will be arrested.

Oct 7, 2016
Purchased with cash, not by me though. I had no idea they would give cash back. The twenty something guy had to call over a supervisor and she said it was ok to issue me a gift card. Returned unused items that she inspected. Lucked out.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Why did Nordstrom give you a gift card instead of refunding your original method of payment? Did you use a credit card to buy them originally? Or cash? Then they were obligated to refund to your card, or reimburse you in cash or by check.
Maybe she paid with a store credit and when she returned the items they issued her a new one.

Oct 7, 2016
It drove me crazy hearing the numerous Nordstrom employees tell me over the phone that a Nordstrom gift card is like using cash at Nordstrom. One rude man asked me how would Nordstrom know that I didn't ask a friend to use the gift card & make purchases in another state & ship to their addresss. I was crying & didn't know what to say. Hopefully the police report will make Nordstrom investigate this. It was hard to prove over the phone the number was stolen along with the PIN number even though the card never left my hands. It was really frustrating dealing with the customer service reps & supervisors. Hopefully a nice email to upper management will work. Thanks!

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Purchased with cash, not by me though. I had no idea they would give cash back. The twenty something guy had to call over a supervisor and she said it was ok to issue me a gift card. Returned unused items that she inspected. Lucked out.
Purchased by cash, they should refund cash. Did you have a receipt?

Oct 7, 2016
I emailed the store manager today and hope to hear back from her. I know almost no one purchases with cash anymore, but my elderly mom still uses cash and she doesn't even own a debit card. She purchased the gifts for me and I didn't want her to know I wanted to return them. My fault, but the gift card went to a negative $90 balance while sitting on my desk. They wouldn't explain it all over the phone with me.

Oct 7, 2016
No because I didn't want my mom to know I was returning a gift she bought me. She'd tell me I'm ungrateful. Now I'm stuck with a gift card with no money on it. I was surprised with phone customer service as I thought Nordstrom would be more understanding and want to keep customers happy. I guess if I had a Nordstrom credit account, they might believe me. Cash purchase, no receipt and my claim the funds are depleted on the gift card seems shady I guess to them.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
My suggestion is to go in person to your local Nordstrom store and speak with management about your situation. A personal interaction is crucial. Nordstrom is one of the best customer service companies in the country. If your situation is 100% legitimate, they will make things right. They most likely have ways to track the purchase made from the gift card enabling them to get to the bottom of this.

Oct 7, 2016
Thank you for that. I'm not a Nordstrom shopper but I've heard good things about their customer service. I was really in shock that this happened and I struggled with the phone reps today. Since I have the gift card in hand with the receipt vs. nothing, I would think it would help me when I show it to the store manager.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I just remembered, once I returned a gift at a large department store so they gave me a gift card/store credit. I then stopped on my way out to buy something used the card. It had zero on it. Luckily, since I was still in the store the lady called the floor where I just returned the item and they were able to verify it right away and reissue the card. Apparently they didn't load it or whatever properly. That could be what happened here.

Oct 7, 2016
Wow that worked out well. Every time I called Nordstrom they would see that the balance was $454 before the first online purchase. My mistake was not checking the balance on the card online or by phone daily. The gift card was issued to me around 6pm & then at 5am the next day the first online purchase was made & I had no idea. I didn't get any alerts like with a credit/debit card. Then someone made purchases over a 3 day period while the card was sitting on my desk. Don't know how they got the access number. Hopefully the store manager will see that everything was not purchased by me or shipped to my address according to my drivers license.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
....you keep saying 'while the card was sitting on my desk....'
Is your desk at home or at work? What other people had access to your desk?

Feb 9, 2016
This is why the police report will come in handy. When you file a police report it basically substantiates your claim - that you did not use the card (because you would be really stupid and in lots of trouble if you filed a police report to recover money you actually spent!)

With a police report you can now start to pursue Nordstroms to give you the info, or research on their own, about who used the cards, what address the merchandise went to, whos names were on the packages, etc.

I dont know that the police in your area will do anything about it but now Nordstroms will know that you are the victim of (documented) theft and might see fit to reimburse you.

BTW, I just looked, I cant find a thing that talks about theft or fraud of Nordies GC's. That's good for you. If you speak with someone ASK what their policy regarding fraud or theft is.