Nonsmoker charged a smoking fee of $250 at Comfort Inn Cleveland Airport

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 15, 2019
Hello, I recently was charged a smoking fee as a non-smoker and am working on getting it reimbursed, with thanks to the article posted on your site. I've called the hotel directly, politely shared my perspective, been told no. Emailed the first tier contact provided on your list, was redirected to the hotel. Re-emailed the first tier contact asking for the next steps since the hotel is unwilling to reimburse. Waiting for reply. How long should I wait before moving to the next tier on the email list? Thank you for your assistance.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hello, I recently was charged a smoking fee as a non-smoker and am working on getting it reimbursed, with thanks to the article posted on your site. I've called the hotel directly, politely shared my perspective, been told no. Emailed the first tier contact provided on your list, was redirected to the hotel. Re-emailed the first tier contact asking for the next steps since the hotel is unwilling to reimburse. Waiting for reply. How long should I wait before moving to the next tier on the email list? Thank you for your assistance.
Move up the list weekly.

Jul 15, 2019
Did the hotel tell you/show you what their proof is that you were allegedly smoking?
Not as of yet - I stated that I wanted to see the evidence and the person I was talking with said that wasn't available to me. I then moved to corporate since local management wasn't willing/able to work with me.

Jul 15, 2019
If going up the executive chain doesn’t get this dropped, let us know because we have other suggestions. But usually using our process works once you get to an executive or two.
Thank you - I will let you know. I'm hopeful for the process to work and thankful for the article provided.

How do we continue to raise awareness of this scam and how do I protect myself in the future?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
There is really nothing you can do to avoid it.

Keep an eye on your credit card- you could try a credit card dispute for the fee if they cannot provide you with “proof” of smoking. They would most likely have to prove to the cc company the proof they have.

We once had a case that the hotel manager claimed they found a cigarette butt and ashes. If I remember the post properly, the hotel manager sent a picture of cigarette butts in a cup in the managers office. There was some kind of paperwork on the desk that someone with an eagle eye spotted dated before the consumer had even checked into the hotel. Pointing that out got the case dropped.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
There is really nothing you can do to avoid it.

Keep an eye on your credit card- you could try a credit card dispute for the fee if they cannot provide you with “proof” of smoking. They would most likely have to prove to the cc company the proof they have.

We once had a case that the hotel manager claimed they found a cigarette butt and ashes. If I remember the post properly, the hotel manager sent a picture of cigarette butts in a cup in the managers office. There was some kind of paperwork on the desk that someone with an eagle eye spotted dated before the consumer had even checked into the hotel. Pointing that out got the case dropped.
I’m confused. Paperwork with old date doesn’t prove anything. Today, I have paperwork on my desk with many old dates. If they claimed that photo was taken *on this date* but had a newspaper with a *future* date, that would be significant.