Non Responsive Hotel - Help getting a reply

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2019
Hello all, I am looking for some help after a recent hotel stay. My partner and I spent a week at a Premier Inn Leicester Square, London, UK. We had a fine stay until our final night when we started packing and noticed several items had gone missing from our room, foremost two sets of Apple AirPod wireless headphones. We know the headphones were in the room because we had used them the night before. A iPhone charger and an expensive fountain pen went missing as well, though we didn't note those until later. If this had been ONE item missing, I wouldn't even be writing this now but BOTH sets of wireless headphones and some other items go missing on our last night is VERY suspicious to me. It's also worth noting that when housekeeping serviced rooms in the morning they had a tendency to open all the doors on the floor. I think this gave housekeeping or perhaps another guest opportunity to steal our items. Also, there was no safe in our room nor none offered by our hotel, and thankfully I locked our laptops and iPad in my hard sided suitcase so they weren't able to get those.

We notified the front desk that night but the person at reception said he couldn't do anything until the next day when housekeeping and the manager was in. He promised to have someone call us the next day. He was acting very strange, and he refused to give me the managers name. After about 45 minutes of asking for a contact person he finally relented. It turns out the name of the person he gave me left the company a few weeks before. I think this was intentional.

We had no choice to leave early the next morning for our flight and we never heard from the manager. I called the hotel but the actual manager is never in. We tried contacting the company via twitter but we were stonewalled saying there's nothing they can do. We've submitted requests in writing via the website with no response. I started a complaint on a site called resolver.co.uk that supposedly has a way to contact Premier Inn, and we've never had a response. Literally every attempt to contact them beyond social media has been a failure or non response.

Finally, under UK law, The Hotel Proprietor's Act of 1956 & the London Local Authority hotels are required to keep guests' property secure. I think Premier Inn failed to do that on two accounts. First, they left our room door open, and second they did not provide a secure place to store valuables. On top of this, the terrible customer service of not replying to ANY of complaints beyond one inquiry on social media. What we would like is to hear back from the hotel. The manager has never returned our call after multiple requests. The company's portal for filing complaints has never returned our messages and messages sent on resolver have gone unanswered despite being escalated twice. We would like to be reimbursed for our stolen headphones or basically two room nights of our 9 day stay reimbursed. Can anyone help?

Sep 19, 2015
Did you call the police and file a report?
If there was no room safe did you ask to store valuables in the safe at the front desk? I know a lot of smaller hotels do not have room safes and that is when I lock them in a suitcase — but I lock up everything of value.

Do you live in Europe? Not being nosy has to do with consumer protection agencies.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What a shame. Items missing from a hotel room are usually "he said/she said" situations without much chance of resolution. So often people lose things and accuse the hotel, so hotels are rightfully reluctant to move on the situation. If there's proof that's another situation.

What do you mean by "opening all the doors on the floor"? The maids come along and open them all and leave them open? All day? Or while housekeeping is on that floor? That's preposterous. If you can prove that, there's a good chance of being compensated for your items.

ADVOCATE ADVICE

Many seasoned travellers put out the DoNotDisturb sign when they check in and remove it when they check out. I never allow housekeeping in my room unless I'm there. Even a hotel room safe is not much deterent to someone looking for electronics to fence. It takes little effort to hang up your towels and spread up your bed every morning; much easier than tracking down missing property.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We use luggage locks on all our luggage. These help double as a “safe” in the rare instance we are at a hotel that doesn’t have a safe in the room. We lock the valuables in the luggage using the lock. It’s not fail safe- the zipper can be broken open with a pencil but it would be obvious if the luggage was tempered with.

Did you leave everything out in the open or were these items hidden in clothing in a drawer?

You can use this form and see if our research volunteer can find contacts for you:

https://www.elliott.org/research/

Jan 3, 2019
Thanks to each of you for your replies.

Christina: We filed a report online with the London Metro Police but never heard back. From our understanding though, a report number won't be given unless the police actually show up and investigate. The hotel did not mention a safe and nor did we ask, and there were none in the rooms. We live in the US.

JSN55: Sorry if I wasn't clear, but housekeeping went and opened all the doors on the floor at once, any door that did not have a DND ticket on it. As we left for breakfast in the morning every door on the floor was left ajar while one room was being cleaned. We had the do not disturb sign up until we left in the morning so ours wasn't open to my knowledge but after we left who can say.

Neil Maley: We do the same thing with our luggage. I have a set of Rimowa Topas suitcases that have locks on them. We locked our Laptops, iPad, and money, passports in the suitcase when we weren't in the room. The only thing we left out were our Airpods, some chargers and misc items. I had forgot my fountain pen was even in my backpack when I brought it.

Thanks for the link, after I posted this last night I did a little sleuthing and came up with the CEO's & the COO's email address! I know an EECB was kind of my last option, before trying a chargeback, so I fired off an email and the CEO's Executive Assistant has handed my email off to someone on the executive team. If you want to add Premier Inn to the list, I can send you the contract information I found.

Jan 3, 2019
Okay, so I finally heard back from my email to the CEO, and I was basically passed off to someone in customer relations. They are basically giving me a non answer. "Sorry your stuff went missing. Nothing was turned into lost and found. You need to follow up with the police". Basically, they're washing their hands of the problem and don't seem to care that $360+ worth of stuff went missing from our room.

I haven't replied to their email yet. Any advice?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you didn’t file a police report there really isn’t anything else they can do. The police would have them pull all records of who went in and out of the room to see the last person that went in and perhaps left the door open.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My colleagues are right. Your path does not lie with the hotel; they'll never do anything about your issue. Someone needs to investigate what happened, and that would be a law enforcement officer. Follow up with the police.

Jan 3, 2019
No the police did not investigate to my knowledge but I disagree. I believe the hotel is responsible. The only way this could have happened is housekeeping taking the property or they left the door opening allowing someone else to get in. We made sure the room was secure before we left.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
And the police are the only ones who can investigate and press charges. You already see the hotels isn’t going to help you anymore. The only way you can do anything is push the police to investigate and see if they can find more info out.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
No the police did not investigate to my knowledge but I disagree. I believe the hotel is responsible. The only way this could have happened is housekeeping taking the property or they left the door opening allowing someone else to get in. We made sure the room was secure before we left.
Please re-read all the posts on this thread. I understand that you believe the hotel is at fault, but you have no proof. We are trying to assist you to a positive outcome.

Jan 3, 2019
I have read them, and I believe the hotel had a duty to safeguard my belongings, UK law mandates that hotels are responsible for articles left in rooms under the Hotel Proprietor's Act and London Provision. There were no safes available which allowed our goods to be stolen and they're responsible. I'm also very aggravated that I was stonewalled by the front desk agent who refused to give me the managers name, then when he relented I was given bad information (a manager who had left weeks prior), the actual hotel manager refusing to return our calls, and customer service emails that went ignore for weeks until I escalated to executive team which pretty much said "Nothing was turned into lost and found, this is your problem not ours." It's very poor customer service.

Sep 19, 2015
I have read them, and I believe the hotel had a duty to safeguard my belongings, UK law mandates that hotels are responsible for articles left in rooms under the Hotel Proprietor's Act and London Provision. There were no safes available which allowed our goods to be stolen and they're responsible. I'm also very aggravated that I was stonewalled by the front desk agent who refused to give me the managers name, then when he relented I was given bad information (a manager who had left weeks prior), the actual hotel manager refusing to return our calls, and customer service emails that went ignore for weeks until I escalated to executive team which pretty much said "Nothing was turned into lost and found, this is your problem not ours." It's very poor customer service.
I stayed in a small hotel in London last week and there were no room safes so I had to lock the electroinics in the suitcase. There was a notice that customers could deposit their valauables with the front desk but I did not do that.

The problem is of course proof. Do things get stolen from hotel rooms in London — certainly. But getting proof or police to investigate is hard.

I am not sure what your options are and It is certainly disappointing that there are no responses of substance from the hotel.

Jan 3, 2019
The hotel just doesn't seem to care, which is part of my issue at this point. We were absolutely ignored for months until I sent emails to the CEO and still feel like they're washing their hands of this. It's just terrible service.

Mar 17, 2015
The hotel is washing their hands on this because it is a he said/she said scenario. I think you need to press this with the police and the hotel. Normally, a person is not going to subject themselves to potential criminal liability by filing a false police report, which is why that is generally the first step in the hotel theft cases. It is very likely that you are not the only person who had items stolen, so following up with the police is the next step and then to follow up with the hotel again.

It is horrible service and hopefully you have left reviews for others to read (unless you were waiting for this to be resolved).

Status
Not open for further replies.