Non-refundable airfare

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
May 3, 2017
Make sure you get confirmed tickets from Air Canada. You should get an email from them that tells you you will get another email with ticket numbers. And then an email with the ticket numbers. That is the important part.
Thanks for the advice, I will check all of that.

May 3, 2017
Thanks everyone for the advice. We decided to go the non-refundable route with CFAR insurance. And Air Canada waives the seat assignment fee for kids under 12. AC assured us that there was no booking with the pending transaction. Just in case, we rebooked using a different credit card so if it comes down to a dispute (hoping not!), there will be no booking whatsoever attached to that credit card. And this time, we have an email confirmation. I will keep checking etc but my fingers are crossed. Thanks again!

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
If both bookings end up coming through, you should have to option to cancel within 24 hours of booking so make sure to keep an eye on things for the next 24 hours. Also, read your email confirmation of the tickets and make sure that your name matches your identification you will be using to get through security at the airport. You have the ability to change it within 24 hours. After that, you have to pay a change fee and any fare increase.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Thanks everyone for the advice. We decided to go the non-refundable route with CFAR insurance. And Air Canada waives the seat assignment fee for kids under 12. AC assured us that there was no booking with the pending transaction. Just in case, we rebooked using a different credit card so if it comes down to a dispute (hoping not!), there will be no booking whatsoever attached to that credit card. And this time, we have an email confirmation. I will keep checking etc but my fingers are crossed. Thanks again!
Great idea. As Carrie said- you have 24 hours to cancel if it shows as a charge so watch carefully tonight and tomorrow.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think you're on your way to a very good trip, AKF. My colleagues have given you a great deal of excellent information. When I plan a trip, even a simple one, I make up a calendar on my computer with every single detail. It serves as good enforcement to be sure I've covered all the bases, and it requires you to pay close attention to everything. A separate "Notes" document contains all the rest of the stuff you want to know during the trip ... restaurant reviews, other sightseeing info etc.

I obviously don't need to tell you to check and double-check everything immediately. That goes for the plans your travel agent makes for you. Nobody will do as good a job as you when it comes to tracking details. Try not to ever do any travel bookings on a phone. A computer is much better. Watch that double-booking possibility like a hawk. See if you can set up email communication with your TA. Show up at the airport early, call the hotel the day before to confirm your plans ... all that kind of stuff that makes for a worry-free vacation. Don't hesitate to come back to us with questions or concerns. Have a GREAT time!

May 3, 2017
So, the charge is still showing as pending this morning. I"m not sure what to do. Yesterday, Air Canada couldn't find any record of the charge using the cc number, our names or ff numbers. We did not get any kind of email or anything with a booking/reference number. All we got was an error message that I'm now kicking myself for not taking a screenshot of (I read this site enough, I should've known better!). So, while I'm happy to watch for a double booking, I'm not quite sure how to do it. How do I look for something that shouldn't exist? I know a credit card dispute is a last resort, but should I contact Mastercard? Or start writing emails to Air Canada? I'm hesitant to just give the charge time to drop off since my 24-hr window is up today at 2:03. Thanks!

May 3, 2017
I think you're on your way to a very good trip, AKF. My colleagues have given you a great deal of excellent information. When I plan a trip, even a simple one, I make up a calendar on my computer with every single detail. It serves as good enforcement to be sure I've covered all the bases, and it requires you to pay close attention to everything. A separate "Notes" document contains all the rest of the stuff you want to know during the trip ... restaurant reviews, other sightseeing info etc.

I obviously don't need to tell you to check and double-check everything immediately. That goes for the plans your travel agent makes for you. Nobody will do as good a job as you when it comes to tracking details. Try not to ever do any travel bookings on a phone. A computer is much better. Watch that double-booking possibility like a hawk. See if you can set up email communication with your TA. Show up at the airport early, call the hotel the day before to confirm your plans ... all that kind of stuff that makes for a worry-free vacation. Don't hesitate to come back to us with questions or concerns. Have a GREAT time!
Thanks! I will definitely check everything as I go. I have my (over) complicated spreadsheet going strong! I also prefer to book online, but when I called bc I had a couple of questions about insurance, it just seemed easier. And nothing I booked over the phone is non-refundable so I can always change it if something goes wrong. So far, the online booking is causing headaches. Fingers crossed I am just being paranoid.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What usually happens with these is if an actual chsrge comes through, it matches the hold and the hold goes away. In this case,the hold is out there waiting for the matching transaction that didn’t happen.

Call MasterCard, get the name, date and time of who you speak to and make sure it’s just a hold. Then if anything happens later, do a dispute.

Apr 3, 2016
Help! Our agent saw the lower airfare we found on the app on her phone. She tried to call Air Canada but there was a 2 hour wait so she called us back and suggested we just go ahead and book. We got an error message on our phone saying to check our payment method. We checked online and there is a pending charge on the credit card. But there is no reservation in the system. So we have a charge but no tickets. My husband is on hold with Air Canada and I called Mastercard who said there is an approved charge. What should I do?
You hired a travel agent to book for you and they tell you to do it because they had to wait on the phone. Now you are in this predicament. Might be time to find another travel agent.

May 3, 2017
You hired a travel agent to book for you and they tell you to do it because they had to wait on the phone. Now you are in this predicament. Might be time to find another travel agent.
Fair statement but that's not exactly how it went. TA called Air Canada to find out why she couldn't get that fare to come up. The wait was long and she didn't want to leave us hanging so she called us back. She then said that she could keep trying or we could go ahead and book. We were worried that it would change (had already gone up nearly $100 from the day before) so we decided to book ourselves. That decision was ours. In hindsight not an awesome decision, but we were booking directly with the airline with our eyes wide open to the fare restrictions, not some random website and the $300 was/is worth it to us. We got an error message and a pending transaction on our cc but nothing from Air Canada re booking/tickets. When we called them, the agent assured us there was no booking (still very possibly true)and he also couldn't get the fare from the app to come up in the system, but saw it himself on the app and went through ticketing to get it manually for us. Which we booked on a different credit card so as to avoid them cancelling the tickets we want by mistake because it's linked to the same card.

I just got off the phone with MasterCard. It is a pending transaction and nothing has been posted. We need to wait 7 days to see if AC 'claims it' and if they don't it will fall off as if it never existed and there's nothing I can do until then. If AC does find the booking they assured us never happened and sticks to their non-refundable guns, I will need to dust off my writing skills and use the Elliott Air Canada contacts before I dispute anything with the credit card. I've done it before but fingers crossed it doesn't come to that.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Can you ask the bank to deny the pending charge from the online purchase? I don't know if that falls into a friendly fraud scenario so, other commenters, please let me know.

May 3, 2017
Can you ask the bank to deny the pending charge from the online purchase? I don't know if that falls into a friendly fraud scenario so, other commenters, please let me know.
I asked that very question and was told that, no, unless it was a transaction not initiated by me, I need to wait until the merchant claims it. Then, even if they do, I need to attempt to resolve it with them first. Which is all fair, but now at least I'm on record as having questioned it before my 24-hour cancellation period.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
At first I also thought that AKF needed to find another agent but after reading the explanation I totally understand why the agent says what she said. We’ve been in the same predicament and given clients the choice as well.

My wife has even advised clients that she is trying to do a price match for to book what they have found if the price match dept. we use doesn’t come back fast enough. We don’t want the blame on us if they come back a day later and can’t match and the price has gone up. Our clients still come back to us for their next trips because they know we will look out for them.

May 3, 2017
Part of the 'rush' for me is that we wanted to book outside of 180 days so we'd have a little time to work out what character dining etc we want before the earliest possible day. Since that's next week, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one booking flights to Orlando this week and, barring a seat sale, the price was only going to go up.

I'm still hopeful that I'm worrying about a problem that doesn't exist and the pending charge will just drop off because AC doesn't claim it. So, while I wait, I'm going to go with "Woohoo, I just booked a family trip to Disney!" Thanks, everyone, for your help.

May 3, 2017
Let your travel agent help you with the rest of the Disney booking. Between the Magic Bands and dining and shows- it’s a lot to take in and your Advisor is there to help.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely call her as needed with questions, but trip planning is half the fun for me. I haven't planned a big trip since the kids were born (didn't want to travel with a kid in diapers or have to go back to the hotel for naptime--I know people do, just wasn't my thing) and I love doing all the research and deciding among all the possibilities etc. I'm crazy excited about this!

May 3, 2017
Just an update to close the loop. The pending charge from Air Canada did indeed drop off. Still not sure why it was there in the first place since no booking was actually made but no harm no foul I guess. Thanks everyone for your help, this forum really is a wonderful resource. I think the hardest part now is going to be keeping the secret from the kids until we are prepared to answer 'how many days' every day until we go!