No Value in a Confirmed Reservation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 8, 2018
On May 31 I booked two nights at the airport Hilton Hotel in Munich through Booking.com for September 3 (the night of our arrival) and September 24 (the night before departure). Both reservations were confirmed by Booking.com. We stayed at the Hilton on the 3rd and I paid on departure with my Visa card....no problem. We returned on the 24th to check in and were told at the desk that our "confirmed" reservation had been cancelled due to a problem with the credit card....the receptionist did not know why, but suggested that perhaps a number had been switched or something (made no sense). We had an early flight the next morning (the 25th) and had no choice but to accept the room they offered at 200 euros more than our "confirmed" reservation (Octoberfest drastically inflated prices). When I returned home I found an email from the Munich Hilton cancelling the reservation due to a credit card problem, but since I do not have access to email while traveling I had not received the message. The email message was sent after our September 3rd stay when I had used my Visa to pay for our room. I contacted Booking.com and they didn't know what happened, but contacted the Hilton. Neither the Hilton or Booking.com will take responsibility for the credit card error, costing us 200 euros.

Sep 19, 2015
On May 31 I booked two nights at the airport Hilton Hotel in Munich through Booking.com for September 3 (the night of our arrival) and September 24 (the night before departure). Both reservations were confirmed by Booking.com. We stayed at the Hilton on the 3rd and I paid on departure with my Visa card....no problem. We returned on the 24th to check in and were told at the desk that our "confirmed" reservation had been cancelled due to a problem with the credit card....the receptionist did not know why, but suggested that perhaps a number had been switched or something (made no sense). We had an early flight the next morning (the 25th) and had no choice but to accept the room they offered at 200 euros more than our "confirmed" reservation (Octoberfest drastically inflated prices). When I returned home I found an email from the Munich Hilton cancelling the reservation due to a credit card problem, but since I do not have access to email while traveling I had not received the message. The email message was sent after our September 3rd stay when I had used my Visa to pay for our room. I contacted Booking.com and they didn't know what happened, but contacted the Hilton. Neither the Hilton or Booking.com will take responsibility for the credit card error, costing us 200 euros.
Did you credit card company block the charge or give problems?

Was there possibly a mistake in inputting the credit card information? Sometimes the hotel will run a hold to confirm the room before arrival. For one hotel I had made a typo, and soon before departure got an email and quickly corrected it and my reservation was saved.

If it is a credit card typo issue then Booking is off the hook.

It is a bit problematic that email was not accessed once during the vacation. the problem is that you were alerted to an issue via email.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
Also most hotels state that a valid credit/debit card number has to be given in order for the reservation to be confirmed.

What may have happened is that an incorrect number was typed in and only found the day of check in -- sometimes the credit card hold is run in advance, other time day of, and you may have checked in with a valid credit card at that point but the reservation for the 25th had the incorrect credit card, and the hotels only go by what was input in the reservation.

Do you have the credit card number stored in a profile with Booking? If so can you go check that it was accurate?

Otherwise did you put in the credit card number twice for two different reservations? The info for the 3rd may have been correct but not the 25th.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
How incredibly annoying, not to mention expensive. This is a very sad situation, because had you booked directly with Hilton, they no doubt would have honored your original rate. You are fortunate that they had room for you; airport hotels are often sold out.

You can't really trust the internet to be 100% effective. A thousand things can go wrong with your plans. I don't think many people go for more than a couple of days without checking email. And travel plans, especially out of the US, need to be reviewed and confirmed occasionally. Communication lines via the internet or phone need to be set up before you leave home. It's possible that the hotel might honor your original rate. Compose a concise, polite letter to the Front Desk Manager requesting an exception to their policy. Give it a couple of weeks, and if no response or you don't like what you hear, send it to the hotel's General Manager. It's a very long shot, but we do see miracles here. Good luck and please let us know what happens.

Oct 8, 2018
How incredibly annoying, not to mention expensive. This is a very sad situation, because had you booked directly with Hilton, they no doubt would have honored your original rate. You are fortunate that they had room for you; airport hotels are often sold out.

You can't really trust the internet to be 100% effective. A thousand things can go wrong with your plans. I don't think many people go for more than a couple of days without checking email. And travel plans, especially out of the US, need to be reviewed and confirmed occasionally. Communication lines via the internet or phone need to be set up before you leave home. It's possible that the hotel might honor your original rate. Compose a concise, polite letter to the Front Desk Manager requesting an exception to their policy. Give it a couple of weeks, and if no response or you don't like what you hear, send it to the hotel's General Manager. It's a very long shot, but we do see miracles here. Good luck and please let us know what happens.[/QUOTE

The point is that reservations were made on May 31 and we didn't depart until September 2....ample time for the Hilton to contact us if there was a problem. The email came after our first night stay, paid for and accepted by credit card. No I don't check emails while traveling on vacation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The point is that reservations were made on May 31 and we didn't depart until September 2....ample time for the Hilton to contact us if there was a problem. The email came after our first night stay, paid for and accepted by credit card. No I don't check emails while traveling on vacation.

When you made the initial reservation really has no bearing on this because something occurred after you checked out of the hotel after your first visit. Unfortunately, now a days you really do need to check your email while you are on vacation - had you done that, you could have contacted the hotel right away to find out what the problem was.

I suggest using our company contacts and writing to the Hilton contacts we have on top of our pages and asking them to look into this. This doesn't appear to have anything to do with OTA - it was the individual hotel. Perhaps they decided you didn't pay enough through the OTA and made up a bogus reason to extract more money from you. That isn't fair and it seems to me to violate the contract you had through booking. Go to the executives for Hilton. Read on the main company contact page how to write - one at a time starting at the bottom.

Sep 19, 2015
The hotels often authorize the credit cards either a few days before the trip. Authorizations fall off after a certain amount of time, so there would be no way to authorize it and hold it for months. Also if the rate allowed for cancellation a few days before the Hotel is not going to charge the credit card only to refund it.

Do you have your credit card saved in your booking profile.

If there was a typo in the credit card number your credit card would not be notified as it would just come up as an invalid number

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Adding to the annoyance level with a situation like this, credit-card issuers are beyond close-mouthed about almost any subject. I suspect it's the "privacy laws". Nobody wants the liability of running afoul of someone's privacy rights. I helped my husband with a Chase InterContinental Master Card several months ago, they issued it, then cancelled it "based on his reporting fraud". He reported nothing, he hadn't even had a chance to use the card; we hadn't authorized it yet. We went round and round with Chase fraud department but were refused any kind of information, even the most simple questions went unanswered. He told them to just close the account. A few weeks ago, there was a much larger bonus to sign up for the card, so we did and have no issues at all.

Apr 23, 2018
I may be missing something, but I think that, when they were checking in or out on their first visit, they had asked the desk to reconfirm their returning visit to be paid for by the same credit card, the problem would have been discovered and rectified right then and there. In my (former) line of business, we called that managing risk by thinking ahead.

Apr 23, 2018
But if they had a confirmed written confirmation and there wasn’t a problem with the card at check out, why would they need to ask to recheck another reservation? I wouldn’t think to do so if it were me.
I agree, Neil, nine times out of ten you wouldn't have a problem. However, you wouldn't book your hotel through an OTA, right? That's what the OP did. OTA's add an extra layer of risk, more so when there are multiple reservations where you have to input payment information more than once.
I used to travel a lot before I retired, staying at the same hotels frequently. I always made it a point to let the managers know when I was coming back, more as a goodwill gesture hoping to get some brownie points (it sometimes resulted in free room upgrades or delayed checkout times), but also just to forestall any misunderstandings. Admittedly, I wasn't focusing on my credit card's validity, but such a problem might have been caught in the process. Also, registering in a hotel points system might not be a bad idea, where you can permanently store your credit card information. Booking directly might result in a slightly higher rate at times (not always), but the difference might be offset in the long run by the points earned.