No refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 9, 2021
May 31, 2021

I booked a flight for my family to go to FL (Fort Myers) in January of 2020 to during our spring break in March of 2020 Because Of COVID we had to cancel our flight and we were issued a flight credit. I called to redeem my credit and book a flight for our spring break March 2021. Upon calling I was informed that my credits had expired, but that given the circumstances it was not a problem and that they would issue new credits. I booked our flight that same day using our newly issued credits.

Days before our fight my sons tested positive for COVID. I called to once again cancel my flight. I was once again issued credits. I was told that I would need to redeem the credits by May 1st. I called to schedule my flight the day before the credits would expire. I sat on the Sun Country phone line for hours at several different times of the day, but I was never able to successfully talk to a representative. I also tried to book my flight online I made several attempts throughout the day but the site would not load my requests. I worked to get through until 11:30 pm.

The following morning I called customer service and explained what had happened the previous day. The representative told me that there was nothing that they could do as the credits had expired. She explained that I should file a complaint and she directed me to that page. I filed my complaint and a few days later received an email saying that there was nothing that they could do. I responded that I was not satisfied and I wanted a refund if they were not willing to issue me new credits. Again they emailed back that there was nothing that they could do. I responded again that I demand a refund. They did not respond. I did email one other time to inquire as to when I could expect a response. I further explained that if I did not get a response, I would be reporting them to other agencies. I have heard nothing.

At this point, I would like a full refund for all flight credits. I do not want to give them my business, and it sickens me that they would take advantage of customers during a Global Pandemic. In good faith, I accepted the credits rather than demand a refund due to the pandemic.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
May 31, 2021

I booked a flight for my family to go to FL (Fort Myers) in January of 2020 to during our spring break in March of 2020 Because Of COVID we had to cancel our flight and we were issued a flight credit. I called to redeem my credit and book a flight for our spring break March 2021. Upon calling I was informed that my credits had expired, but that given the circumstances it was not a problem and that they would issue new credits. I booked our flight that same day using our newly issued credits.

Days before our fight my sons tested positive for COVID. I called to once again cancel my flight. I was once again issued credits. I was told that I would need to redeem the credits by May 1st. I called to schedule my flight the day before the credits would expire. I sat on the Sun Country phone line for hours at several different times of the day, but I was never able to successfully talk to a representative. I also tried to book my flight online I made several attempts throughout the day but the site would not load my requests. I worked to get through until 11:30 pm.

The following morning I called customer service and explained what had happened the previous day. The representative told me that there was nothing that they could do as the credits had expired. She explained that I should file a complaint and she directed me to that page. I filed my complaint and a few days later received an email saying that there was nothing that they could do. I responded that I was not satisfied and I wanted a refund if they were not willing to issue me new credits. Again they emailed back that there was nothing that they could do. I responded again that I demand a refund. They did not respond. I did email one other time to inquire as to when I could expect a response. I further explained that if I did not get a response, I would be reporting them to other agencies. I have heard nothing.

At this point, I would like a full refund for all flight credits. I do not want to give them my business, and it sickens me that they would take advantage of customers during a Global Pandemic. In good faith, I accepted the credits rather than demand a refund due to the pandemic.
"We had to cancel our flight and we were issued a flight credit." Since you canceled rather than the airline canceling your flight, unless you had purchased fully refundable tickets (highly unlikely) you were not due a refund when YOU canceled the first time. You were only due a credit which you received. This credit was extended once.

There is no circumstance where the airline will now give you a cash refund. You can reach out to Sun Country by email to see if your expired credits might be reinstated with a later expiration date. This is entirely at the discretion of the airline. If you state "I further explained that if I did not get a response, I would be reporting them to other agencies" and "I do not want to give them my business" they have no reason to agree to your request. There is nothing to report them for to any agencies. Your ticket contract did not entitle you to a refund when you canceled or now.

May 1, 2018
You can escalate your case to Sun Country executives using the contacts listed here:

Start with the first contact and wait a week between follow ups. Don't write to all the contacts at one and don't start with the CEO.

I do strongly suggest that you change your approach however. The airline is following all the cancellation policies you agreed to at the time of booking, so you are not due a refund by right. In order to get a refund or credit extension you would be asking them for a goodwill gesture as an exception. Since a human will have to read your case and make the determination to provide you that goodwill gesture, it behooves you to write in such a way that makes them want to help you. Saying you will "report them" (for what?), saying you you won't do business with them, and saying that they sicken you is not conducive to making a company execute make an exception for you. If you attack them or their company, they will simply ignore your request - being tactful in your communications really does make all the difference here.

Skippy

May 30, 2019
You did not have a right to a refund originally, you did not have a right to an extension of the offered credits, you do not have a right to a refund now. The airline is not taking advantage of you. The airline sold you non-refundable tickets in 2019 & later offered you multiple opportunities to use the fare value.

The reason I'm stating this bluntly is to help explain that you are asking for a Goodwill Gesture. It sometimes helps to vent frustrations on this forum, but it does not help to make demands or communicate with anger to a company from which you are seeking a Goodwill Gesture.

To whom did you correspond with in your prior communications? If a customer service mailbox, my recommendation for self-advocacy is to try contacting an executive directly. The email should be sincere; polite; brief; gracious and friendly. Explain simply that you were extended a credit; tried to use the credit but your son contracted COVID (e.g. not safe to travel on a plane); tried to use the extended credit but could not reach a rep & the site had technical issues. Request one more extension. Don't ask for a refund because you won't get it from a no-frills airline like this.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2021
"We had to cancel our flight and we were issued a flight credit." Since you canceled rather than the airline canceling your flight, unless you had purchased fully refundable tickets (highly unlikely) you were not due a refund when YOU canceled the first time. You were only due a credit which you received. This credit was extended once.

There is no circumstance where the airline will now give you a cash refund. You can reach out to Sun Country by email to see if your expired credits might be reinstated with a later expiration date. This is entirely at the discretion of the airline. If you state "I further explained that if I did not get a response, I would be reporting them to other agencies" and "I do not want to give them my business" they have no reason to agree to your request. There is nothing to report them for to any agencies. Your ticket contract did not entitle you to a refund when you canceled or now.
Kelly Red,

Thank you for your response, that makes sense. I mistakenly thought that due to the circumstances (pandemic) and the fact that their system was not adequately staffed/supported they would allow a little grace. I have reached out to Sun Country and they indicated that there was nothing that they could do. At the very least this very poor customer service.

Jun 9, 2021
You can escalate your case to Sun Country executives using the contacts listed here:

Start with the first contact and wait a week between follow ups. Don't write to all the contacts at one and don't start with the CEO.

I do strongly suggest that you change your approach however. The airline is following all the cancellation policies you agreed to at the time of booking, so you are not due a refund by right. In order to get a refund or credit extension you would be asking them for a goodwill gesture as an exception. Since a human will have to read your case and make the determination to provide you that goodwill gesture, it behooves you to write in such a way that makes them want to help you. Saying you will "report them" (for what?), saying you you won't do business with them, and saying that they sicken you is not conducive to making a company execute make an exception for you. If you attack them or their company, they will simply ignore your request - being tactful in your communications really does make all the difference here.
Thank you for the contact information. You know nothing of my approach, and I have had several conversations with different representatives of the company that were sincere, polite, and friendly. My final communication was less than. I was frustrated, but I did not hurl insults. I do understand that there are policies in place and that they have been altered due to a global pandemic. I did think that this was a reportable situation because I have never been put in this situation, and it did not seem logical to me; I am learning. That is why I came to this site. I never told a representative that they "sicken" me. That was me expressing my feelings and frustration on this site. I appreciate your candor.
You did not have a right to a refund originally, you did not have a right to an extension of the offered credits, you do not have a right to a refund now. The airline is not taking advantage of you. The airline sold you non-refundable tickets in 2019 & later offered you multiple opportunities to use the fare value.

The reason I'm stating this bluntly is to help explain that you are asking for a Goodwill Gesture. It sometimes helps to vent frustrations on this forum, but it does not help to make demands or communicate with anger to a company from which you are seeking a Goodwill Gesture.

To whom did you correspond with in your prior communications? If a customer service mailbox, my recommendation for self-advocacy is to try contacting an executive directly. The email should be sincere; polite; brief; gracious and friendly. Explain simply that you were extended a credit; tried to use the credit but your son contracted COVID (e.g. not safe to travel on a plane); tried to use the extended credit but could not reach a rep & the site had technical issues. Request one more extension. Don't ask for a refund because you won't get it from a no-frills airline like this.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you had waited for the airline to cancel the cancel the flight, you would have been due a refund.

We wrote a story about not canceling too soon last year. Please see #5:

Unfortunately the discount airlines didn’t give people a long period of time to use the credits. The legacy airlines gave two years.

You have nothing to lose by politely asking to have the credit extended. This is how to write:

Give it a try.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Kelly Red,

Thank you for your response, that makes sense. I mistakenly thought that due to the circumstances (pandemic) and the fact that their system was not adequately staffed/supported they would allow a little grace. I have reached out to Sun Country and they indicated that there was nothing that they could do. At the very least this very poor customer service.
The other thing to be aware of is that all airlines had virtually no revenue for many months beginning in March 2020 (and only now, 15 months later are they seeing the return of passenger volumes), but still had significant expenses to maintain their lease payments, maintain their fleets, and many other things. Sun Country is a very low-fare airline that runs on very thin margins and is much less likely to be lenient on extending voucher expiration dates. Worldwide numerous airlines have ceased operations for good. If airlines refunded all canceled tickets more would cease operations. Many airlines tried to force consumers to accept vouchers for flights canceled by the airline. The US DOT stopped that practice, but there is no leverage to force any airline to refund a non-refundable fare on a flight canceled by the traveler.

In the unprecedented circumstances beginning in March 2020, the travel industry was affected in all aspects, including airlines, cruise lines, hotels, and rental car agencies. Hertz, the seemingly solid US car rental business, declared bankruptcy in May 2020. I think overall we have been lucky that more major travel industry players did not declare bankruptcy or go out of business. The US airlines survived only with many billions of bailout dollars for the US.

The pandemic has been hard on many many people and businesses. Hopefully a retun to a semblance for normal is on the near horizon.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
FOR ALLREADERS Do not wait until the last minute to rebook flights and hotels using your credits. Too many monkey wrenches can be thrown in, forcing you to miss the deadline. Don't expect a low-cost airline or budget hotel to "extend all courtesies". One of the reasons they're low-cost is that they don't spend money on hiring people to do customer service.

Reactions: Patina

kenish

Sep 1, 2015
KSNA
As others said, you would have encountered the same restrictions with any other airline. I'm frankly surprised that Sun County bent the rules in several ways as a courtesy since they're a "bare bones" low-cost carrier. Southwest is generally one of the most generous and flexible with goodwill gestures but I doubt even they would offer another extension (and definitely not a refund).

As others said, it doesn't hurt to use the process in posts #6 and #7, using an "artful begging" tone. If you do, let us know the results.

Reactions: Patina