No Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 19, 2019
No, I do not have it in writing that the owner said he would make a full refund. At that point it was late in the afternoon and I was more concerned in finding a place for my family to spend the night. The next day I called VRBO about the misrepresentation of property. That's when they made the Case number.

Nov 19, 2019
I contacted VRBO again and asked for a Reimbursement Request Form. I explained that by calling July 22 and making a Case number that that would be enough, apparently I have to do it in writing. They should have told me at that time that I must submit the complaint in writing.

The Customer Service person at first said she did not know who at VRBO had such a form. I told her the only number I have for VRBO is the Customer Service number. She finally said the Billing Dept would send me an email with a Reimbursement Request Form attached. She seemed more interested in who told me they had a Reimbursement Request Form than anything else.

Oct 20, 2019
It is issues like these that will kill the vacation home rental by owner industry. And rightfully so.
SO TRUE. Wonderful ideas, great concepts, win-win situations ruined by fraud, lies and "not our fault, we can't help" attitude of the VR exchanges. Such a shame.
This why I will continue to stay at the former Starwood properties such as Westin, Sheraton and the like. I've never had a bad experience that wasn't resolved immediately with these. It can cost a little more; but, sometimes the saying "you get what you pay for" really is true.

Sep 19, 2015
I can understand wanting to stay in a home environment with kitchen, fridge etc. I have done it a few times and it was pleasant— but I only stayed at places owned by friends or friend of friend — I have not been brave enough to do it off a website. So I stay in hotels. I did stay in one aparthotel in London — with a microwave mini fridge and sink — which could be limiting for some but was enough for me.

Nov 19, 2019
I received an email from the supervisor at the credit card company. This is what it said.
CLAIM ID: C-20191120-2607

Dear JULIAN E MATHISON:
We appreciate your patience while we resolved your billing dispute of the transaction(s) below.
You disputed the charge(s) because you thought you were due a credit on your account.
Based on what you and the merchant provided, we found that a significant amount of time has passed
since the date of the charge. Despite our efforts, the merchant is not willing to credit your account.
The charge(s) you disputed is valid.
It will remain on your credit card account and be included in the balance on your next statement. You
can also see this activity online at Chase.com.
Transaction Post Date Merchant Name Transaction Amount
04/28/2019 VRBO HASYNX10 $3,032.94
04/28/2019 VRBO RDD $647.24
The merchant isn't required to credit your account because the charge took place too long ago.

Nov 19, 2019
I contacted VRBO again and insisted that they send a Reimbursement Request Form. The Customer Service person said only the Billing Dept could send the form. They are suppost to send it as soon as possible. She said she saw in the records where I had asked for the form previously.

Nov 19, 2019
I requested a Reimbursement Request Form a second time from VRBO. It has now been a week since the second request. I still have not heard from them. I think they just do not want to send that form.

May 7, 2019
It is issues like these that will kill the vacation home rental by owner industry. And rightfully so.
SO TRUE. Wonderful ideas, great concepts, win-win situations ruined by fraud, lies and "not our fault, we can't help" attitude of the VR exchanges. Such a shame.
I must say, I’m a frequent user of Airbnb for longer-term rentals, and have had good success with its resolution center on the infrequent occasions when issues arose. The key is to restrict all communications with, and payments to, the property owner to the Airbnb app. I also suggest avoiding late-night or late-in-the-day check-ins. If my flight will arrive in the afternoon or evening, I spend the night in a hotel and check in at the Airbnb the following day. Much easier to address/resolve issues with the Airbnb that way.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I must say, I’m a frequent user of Airbnb for longer-term rentals, and have had good success with its resolution center on the infrequent occasions when issues arose. The key is to restrict all communications with, and payments to, the property owner to the Airbnb app. I also suggest avoiding late-night or late-in-the-day check-ins. If my flight will arrive in the afternoon or evening, I spend the night in a hotel and check in at the Airbnb the following day. Much easier to address/resolve issues with the Airbnb that way.
I'm glad to hear a good experience with Abb, it is such a terrific idea and I would like to see it flourish. When you say "The key is to restrict ...", do you mean communicate only through Abb's app/website? Is this what Abb recommends? We seem to see a great many problems from people who don't handle conflicts properly according to Abb's rules and end up dissatisfied.

And I am a firm believer in your habit of checking in early, or using a hotel the first night. If you have all day and you're not exhausted from a long flight, problems can be solved so much more easily. We hear from families with small children that are pressured to get things straightened out at 8pm, it's heart-breaking, especially if there's a language issue.

May 7, 2019
I'm glad to hear a good experience with Abb, it is such a terrific idea and I would like to see it flourish. When you say "The key is to restrict ...", do you mean communicate only through Abb's app/website? Is this what Abb recommends? We seem to see a great many problems from people who don't handle conflicts properly according to Abb's rules and end up dissatisfied.

And I am a firm believer in your habit of checking in early, or using a hotel the first night. If you have all day and you're not exhausted from a long flight, problems can be solved so much more easily. We hear from families with small children that are pressured to get things straightened out at 8pm, it's heart-breaking, especially if there's a language issue.
Yes, that is what I meant. I could have put it more clearly: Communicate and pay only via the app and most all issues can be avoided. Often, hosts ask me to email them copies of my driver’s license or passport. I even send that only in the app.

Aug 29, 2015
I received an email from the supervisor at the credit card company. This is what it said.
CLAIM ID: C-20191120-2607

Dear JULIAN E MATHISON:
We appreciate your patience while we resolved your billing dispute of the transaction(s) below.
You disputed the charge(s) because you thought you were due a credit on your account.
Based on what you and the merchant provided, we found that a significant amount of time has passed
since the date of the charge. Despite our efforts, the merchant is not willing to credit your account.
The charge(s) you disputed is valid.
It will remain on your credit card account and be included in the balance on your next statement. You
can also see this activity online at Chase.com.
Transaction Post Date Merchant Name Transaction Amount
04/28/2019 VRBO HASYNX10 $3,032.94
04/28/2019 VRBO RDD $647.24
The merchant isn't required to credit your account because the charge took place too long ago.
Did your file the dispute with your credit card in writing? Did you state to Chase that the reservation had not been honored, and that you had tried to work it out with the merchant before filing the credit care charge back, and that the merchant refused to even provide you with the form to request the refund under 5(h) of their Book with Confidence Guarantee