No Refund

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 19, 2019
Property Bait and Switch
April 25, 2019

Booked a flat in London for July 21,2019- July 28, 2019 through VRBO
Property: #10197960
Reservation:
Owner: Ali Miah
We paid £2843. That included a £50 cleaning fee and a £500 refundable damage deposit.
There was a 100% refund if canceled at least 14 days before the arrival date and a 50% refund if canceled at least 7 days prior to arrival.
July 15, 2019
I noticed we had two addresses for the flat. I sent an email to the owner. He responded that we had two addresses because there was an issue with the original flat and he was offering a replacement nearby. Notice the cancellation date had passed. He did not ask if a replacement was ok.
July 21, 2019
When we got there to check in, we found the place was so bad it should never be allowed to be listed on VRBO. No one would ever rent it if they saw it. We did not stay. The owner told us he would give us a full refund.
July 22, 2019
I called the VRBO Customer Support number and explained the situation. They made a Case Number 22463831.
August 4, 2019
I received an email from the owner that said the £500 damage deposit had been refunded. I have checked and rechecked the credit card statements. No refund has been made.

I have called Customer Support several times about the refund. Their responses seem to me that they just want to get me off the phone.

Note- Edited by moderator to remove reservation number and owners phone number

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 19, 2019
I paid by credit card. VRBO has not responded.
I rechecked my credit card statements. The £500 damage fee was refunded. However, The remaining £2343 should be refunded.
VRBO did not move us. It was late in the afternoon and we stayed in a motel that night. We booked another flat thru AirBnB for the remainder of our vacation.
When I called VRBO, they made a Case Number 22xxxxxxx. The person at Customer Support told me they would tell the owner to refund the entire amount. The only contact I have had with VRBO is when I called the Customer Service. They always say it is being handled. They have never contacted me.

Edited by a moderator to remove case number

Sep 9, 2018
Property Bait and Switch
April 25, 2019

Booked a flat in London for July 21,2019- July 28, 2019 through VRBO
Property: #10
Reservation: HA-
Owner: Ali Miah +44

Is that the renter's phone number??
Edited by a moderator to remove phone number

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Ask for a supervisor - that is not correct. They CAN go further back if they want to. They are most likely saying you did not come to them early enough but they can go back further for services not received if they want to. If the refuse to, I would suggest filing a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau - they may be able to help. The website is https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Mar 14, 2018
According to this site, the time limit for filing a Visa chargeback is 120 days from when the service was expected to be delivered. The OP may have just missed it.

VRBO has a bunch of requirements for taking advantage of their guarantee. Notably, you are required to file a written Reimbursement Request Form with documentation within 6 months of the reservation. Have you done this? If not, I suggest filing it ASAP so you don't miss this deadline as well.

Nov 19, 2019
I received a reply from Home Away. Here is their reply.
I'm sorry to hear that the property owner did not provide you with a great experience. This case was escalated to our billing department to confirm the damage deposit transaction was processed successfully in our system. We cannot refund a reservation without the property owner's permission. The billing department does not have access to property owner tools to make those decisions. If you have submitted a property complaint to our traveler support department, they can assist with reaching a resolution with the owner. You can reach traveler support at 877-228-3145 and you can reference your case number and they will be able to assist further.

The 877-228-3145 number is the Customer Service number that I called on July 22, 2019 that generated Case number 22463831. It is difficult for me to believe that someone can post places on VRBO, have money paid through VRBO and they have to have the owners approval to return a deposit no matter the condition of the property.

Mar 14, 2018
I received a reply from Home Away. Here is their reply.
I'm sorry to hear that the property owner did not provide you with a great experience. This case was escalated to our billing department to confirm the damage deposit transaction was processed successfully in our system. We cannot refund a reservation without the property owner's permission. The billing department does not have access to property owner tools to make those decisions. If you have submitted a property complaint to our traveler support department, they can assist with reaching a resolution with the owner. You can reach traveler support at 877-228-3145 and you can reference your case number and they will be able to assist further.

The 877-228-3145 number is the Customer Service number that I called on July 22, 2019 that generated Case number 22463831. It is difficult for me to believe that someone can post places on VRBO, have money paid through VRBO and they have to have the owners approval to return a deposit no matter the condition of the property.
To me, this reads like they may have misunderstood your issue. I believe you are claiming that the owner materially misrepresented the property. I suggest you read through VRBO's definition of this in their guarantee to see if your situation qualifies--It's not clear from your posts.

If it does, you should call VRBO and tell them clearly you are filing a claim under their "Book with Confidence Guarantee" for material misrepresentation. Ask them to provide the Reimbursement Request Form and immediately file it so you do not miss their deadline.