No notification for Carry on fee

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2018
Company you have a question or comment about: United Airlines Or Priceline.com

On July 18, 2018, we purchased a vacation package for two people, airfare and hotel, through Priceline.com. (Priceline Trip Number xxxxxxx)

Upon departing from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Chicago's Ohare airport, as we proceeded to check in with the assistance of a United Airlines representative, we were informed that we had to pay a $25.00 fee for each carry on.

It is my opinion that Priceline.com or United Airlines should inform the passengers once the booking has been completed making the passenger aware of the situation.

What's your desired resolution? By this means, we are hereby requesting your assistance in this matter.

We would like to have our money reimbursed.

Thank you much for your assistance.

What's the value of your claim (in US $)? 50.00

Date of transaction/travel date: 07/18/2018

Edited by moderator to remove itinerary number.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
It seems that Priceline sold you a Basic Economy fare without making it clear they were doing so. They have been criticized for this in the past. Basic economy only allows a small personal bag carry-on. Use our contacts here https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/priceline/ and explain to them that when you purchased the ticket they didn't make it clear that it was a Basic Economy fare and what that means.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Be polite, patient and persistent. Priceline offers rock-bottom costs because they spend very little on customer service. Theirs is a numbers game, they attract thousands of customers with the promise of the cheapest travel. Before you contact them, I would advise you to go make a mock booking to see what kind of information you were given.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
You are absolutely correct that the information is there. However when you book the flight directly on United, when you select the fare, you are taken to this screen and there is no way you would not see the restrictions. That is how I feel it ought to be with Priceline. Having said that, as you can see, with the fare below, you are saving $10 more than the cost of the carry-on (round-trip) by taking Basic Economy.

1540151819122.png

Sep 19, 2015
The airline websites have tried to make it clear what the Basic Economy restrictions are, it is definitely more work with many of the OTAs. One has to click through links, but the problem is before one hits purchase there is one last link to look at the baggage fees and the disclaimer that by purchasing one has agreed to all of it.

Sep 21, 2017
To the moderator: Could you provide some examples of situations where the customer is wrong to book airline tickets independently? The original poster did not buy the ticket from the airline; Priceline did. In my limited experience, no agent or on-line agency can find tickets cheaper than those offered by the an airline directly. I only use a second party for itineraries involving two or more airlines that do not sell each other's tickets.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
To the moderator: Could you provide some examples of situations where the customer is wrong to book airline tickets independently? The original poster did not buy the ticket from the airline; Priceline did. In my limited experience, no agent or on-line agency can find tickets cheaper than those offered by the an airline directly. I only use a second party for itineraries involving two or more airlines that do not sell each other's tickets.
Priceline can be cheaper if you bid for a ticket.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We wish we knew why people used third parties. You are correct- the price is usually the same or close to what the OTA offers. Using an OTA puts a third party in between issues and finger pointing on who is responsible when there is a problem.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Since this is a post from October and the original writer hasn’t been back, I’m going to close this to further replies. If anyone has a question they would like to ask in relation to this, feel free to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.