No Ireland-just a bunch of Blarney

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 8, 2015
This trip is with Elsa-travel.com,I purchased a trip off of Ebay in March and April of this year to Ireland. The trip is scheduled for Oct 6th of this year and is for 12 days per the Ebay description. I have emailed the ebay/paypal contact and have received no info on this trip besides what is listed in the ebay description which is what is planned for each day of the trip. I have no idea if transfers are included, what hotel to go to, what to bring, etc. I have not purchased airfare since I have heard nothing more since August from this seller. I have put in a paypal claim for the trip and also a credit card dispute but wondered if there was anything else I should be doing or if you could help with getting me a refund. Paypal stated that they now have a refund policy for intangibles which started in July but I purchased these trips in March and April so I would not be covered. I believe since they have this new policy and the trip is scheduled for October I should be. Your help is appreciated!

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Would it be possible to see a screen shot of what you actually purchased? It sounds like you are taking exactly the right steps, with both the paypal and credit card claims. PayPal is extremely buyer friendly from my experience and very smart to double up and file with the actual credit card. The bottom line is you purchased something and can't seem to figure out what it is. Those are excellent grounds for a prompt refund.
If you are still inclined to go on the trip, then I'm sure someone here could advise you, but your instincts to cancel sound right to me.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@LeslieK -

I've probably been living in a cave, but was astonished to see thousands of listings for "trip" when I checked eBay just now.

You are now less than four weeks before your Ireland trip, and my guess is that airfare right now would be on the high side if you were to try to buy it now. Also, the face that elsa-travel.com is not answering your questions is not a good sign.

I agree with your contacting the credit card company to dispute the charge.

And, yes, ask Paypal to cover your purchase with their new "intangible refund" policy, even though your purchase was before their July start date. Since the trip itself had not yet taken place, I think you have a chance with them.

Also go to eBay to report the seller. eBay tends to side with the buyer in disputes and I'm sure this was a high-dollar transaction. The top bar on your eBay page shows HELP AND CONTACT, and that leads to a page with a photo of an "operator" and CONTACT US. If you haven't done this already, please do so now, and tell them you wish to report the seller.

Elsa-travel.com is located in the UK and don't seem to show a physical address, just a phone number and online "query form". They also state that they "Maintain excellent standards of service". Not responding to you is NOT an excellent standard of service.

Please keep us posted on what transpires...

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Google, "PayPal get human." There will be an option to have them call you back instead. Just enter your number and wait for the phone to ring. I have used this multiple times and receive a call back within 5 minutes. My experience is they are 100% responsive. You can do this with eBay as well. They will probably immediately refund you within a few minutes on the phone. I would try that immediately.
I also didn't know about trips on eBay but nonresponsive is a huge red flag. Get out of this.

Mar 17, 2015
I just checked the website for elsa-travel.com, as posted above. They have a tour to Ireland listed, 12 days. At bottom of the page, it says that airfare is not included and you are to fly into Dublin. Your transfers are included, after you get to the first hotel, since it looks like this tour is on a chartered bus (going off the picture only, huge assumption being made on my part), they should get you from originating point to end destination, which in this case is Dublin to Dublin. I would also assume that night before trip and night trip ends, the hotels are not included. But I would sure like more information, as you do!

If you have not already, try contacting them again here: http://www.elsa-travel.com/contact

If you could, provide a link to the page where you booked, that would be helpful to see what is listed on the webpage.

Also, airfares don't seem too high as of yet, you are still within the period of advanced purchase (1k round trip from DFW, I don't think this is bad, but have not been pricing tix). Sure, they may have been cheaper a few months ago, but still not too bad. If you still want to go, verify your reservation, get on the airfare and salvage the trip.

Sep 8, 2015
Thanks for the helpful hints. I purchased this off of ebay and the item is no longer available for viewing but we did make a copy of the auction and I can see it in my purchase history for 2015. My problem is we have heard nothing back from the seller since August who I am ASSUMING is even with this company-she may not even be with them. At this point I am just looking for a refund of what we paid for the trip. I have never dealt with a travel company that did not have pics on the website, brochures, info sent to your email, etc. so this has been really strange with this company,

Mar 17, 2015
@ LeslieK - I would still contact elsa-travel. If you do not have a confirmation, then you have a pretty good case (if not slam dunk) to get a refund pretty easily. No reservation, no charge, that is easy to prove.

Mar 25, 2015
cali
I have been an ebay user and seller for 8 years ebay and paypal can force a refund.
Usually you can only open an ebay case after 90 days, but exceptions can/have been made.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archiv...ys-I-think-someone-in-customer/qaq-p/17690935

I think your case would warrant an exception.
And once ebay gets involved (if the seller goes silent) it will take the money from the seller's paypal account (this is because allot of sellers think that if they go silent/do not give consent nothing will happen to their money.)
trust in ebay to do the right thing. :)

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Agree with @dourdan . I've bought/sold on eBay since 1999 and can confirm that eBay and PayPal both side with the buyer in most cases.

Since the seller has not responded to your requests for info, I'm pretty confident that eBay and PayPal will indeed "do the right thing".

Please contact them ASAP and keep us posted. We like to know outcomes, if possible. Thank you.