No Assistance Given

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 10, 2018
My husband and I went on our first cruise last month and on the last full day of the cruise I hurt my ankle. I was not able to walk on my ankle. I borrowed a wheel chair from the cruise line while on the ship then my shuttle driver got someone at the airport to get me a wheel chair and get me from the shuttle in the chair and I sit at the airport 5 hours early because with a bit ankle and jo crutches what are you to do. We tried notifying United when we got there that o would need assistance getting on the plane, but we were told that we needed to let the gate agent know at the time of the flight. Well our flight to Houston and from Houston were both delayed. Our flight from OKC to Houston was delayed 3 times before our flight day even arrived, but on the way home from Houston the Gate agent called for the assist team and no one came. Someone from the assist team had been sitting there until it was time for our flight (before it got delayed), but when the age agent called 3x no one came so I was told that I had to walk on my ankle because there was no one to help me and that she couldn't hold the plane because I can't walk on my ankle.
Okay. I have 2 Torn Tendons and 1 Torn Ligament in my ankle. I am going to have to have surgery, but I was made to walk on it by United because if I didn't my plane was going to leave me. To me this is Unacceptable and I don't know how else to get a hold of United about this. The online form won't let me submit my complaint, so I wrote them a letter and sent it certified mail so that I know they received it, but United has yet to contact me about my experience. I got home and got into the doctor and got a MRI right away. I was told I have 2 torn tendons and 1 torn ligament and was put continued no weight bearing for 3 weeks after the cruise/flight problems. Now I am in a boot pending surgery.
Can you help me get a response from United about my experience?
This is all after I had some problems with United Customer Service over the phone before we boarded out first flight.
When our first flight got delayed the third time I looked online and it said that there was another flight available so I called to ask that if I switched us to that flight if we would be able to sit together on that flight and I had to repeat my question 3 times because the lady was not answering my question she was just asking me if I wanted her to book us on that flight then finally she said we would be able to sit together so I said if I click accept new itinerary it will put us in this row that has 2 seats open right? and she said yes so I said okay I am clicking accept new itinerary and she said you want me to put you on the other flight? I said I just did it and it put us in different row and she then preceded to tell me that it was my fault that we were put in different rows and that I had selected different rows for us when actually the computer selected our seats for us.
My main concern though is that I was told that I had to walk when I told them I was no weight bearing or I was going to miss my flight because they couldn't hold the plane up because the assist team was not coming when called . I wrote United, but have gotten no response

Sep 19, 2015
I think the problem was that the passenger having injured her leg on the last day of the cruise only notified the airline for the need for assistance on the day of travel— understandable because of the timing of the injury.

I got a little lost in the chronology and it seems that the last flight was delayed.

I think a chronology needs to given as there is bouncing forth and back between outbound and inbound flights and it is hard to understand

Jun 30, 2017
United certainly should have arranged service for you at the gate. United does not provide the service, the airport does, but United should have made sure that you received the assistance you needed.

Although walking was undoubtedly very painful, it is not likely that the injuries you have were caused by walking to the plane, as opposed to the original injury.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
We needed to get from FL to OH last minute last weekend and chose United flights from RSW>ORD>CAK round trip.
United left us stranded in Chicago overnight on the outbound trip by cancelling our flight to CAK 6 hours before departure.
All of the other three flight were ‘delayed’ significantly, and we missed our ORD>RSW connection to return to FL.
We bought Basic Economy as that was all that was available at the time. The last Gate Agent (@ORD) actually told us that all of our travel woes were because we bought cheap tickets. Really? Even the first class passengers suffered the same delays/cancellations so how does that compute? The tickets wer NOT cheap.
We have had no previous experience with United and don’t plan to use them again. All happening in four days time made us miserable.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My husband and I went on our first cruise last month and on the last full day of the cruise I hurt my ankle. I was not able to walk on my ankle. I borrowed a wheel chair from the cruise line while on the ship then my shuttle driver got someone at the airport to get me a wheel chair and get me from the shuttle in the chair and I sit at the airport 5 hours early because with a bit ankle and jo crutches what are you to do. We tried notifying United when we got there that o would need assistance getting on the plane, but we were told that we needed to let the gate agent know at the time of the flight. Well our flight to Houston and from Houston were both delayed. Our flight from OKC to Houston was delayed 3 times before our flight day even arrived, but on the way home from Houston the Gate agent called for the assist team and no one came. Someone from the assist team had been sitting there until it was time for our flight (before it got delayed), but when the age agent called 3x no one came so I was told that I had to walk on my ankle because there was no one to help me and that she couldn't hold the plane because I can't walk on my ankle.
Okay. I have 2 Torn Tendons and 1 Torn Ligament in my ankle. I am going to have to have surgery, but I was made to walk on it by United because if I didn't my plane was going to leave me. To me this is Unacceptable and I don't know how else to get a hold of United about this. The online form won't let me submit my complaint, so I wrote them a letter and sent it certified mail so that I know they received it, but United has yet to contact me about my experience. I got home and got into the doctor and got a MRI right away. I was told I have 2 torn tendons and 1 torn ligament and was put continued no weight bearing for 3 weeks after the cruise/flight problems. Now I am in a boot pending surgery.
Can you help me get a response from United about my experience?
This is all after I had some problems with United Customer Service over the phone before we boarded out first flight.
When our first flight got delayed the third time I looked online and it said that there was another flight available so I called to ask that if I switched us to that flight if we would be able to sit together on that flight and I had to repeat my question 3 times because the lady was not answering my question she was just asking me if I wanted her to book us on that flight then finally she said we would be able to sit together so I said if I click accept new itinerary it will put us in this row that has 2 seats open right? and she said yes so I said okay I am clicking accept new itinerary and she said you want me to put you on the other flight? I said I just did it and it put us in different row and she then preceded to tell me that it was my fault that we were put in different rows and that I had selected different rows for us when actually the computer selected our seats for us.
My main concern though is that I was told that I had to walk when I told them I was no weight bearing or I was going to miss my flight because they couldn't hold the plane up because the assist team was not coming when called . I wrote United, but have gotten no response
Please make a concise list of the facts, in chronological order so we can have a look to see how we might help you. The details are very important, but keep it simple and leave all emotion out. We'll be glad to take a look at your situation and offer advice.