News: Comcast hit with $2.3M fine

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/11/news/companies/comcast-fine-fcc/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

The FCC, after thousands of complaints and a 5 year investigation, has fined Comcast $2.3M in the largest fine levied against a cable provider to date. The FCC found consumers were signed up for services they didn't ask for, and in some cases specifically said they didn't want, and spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the unauthorized services removed. The company must also submit to 5 years if monitoring in a complaimce program.

FCC dont play.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/11/news/companies/comcast-fine-fcc/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

The FCC, after thousands of complaints and a 5 year investigation, has fined Comcast $2.3M in the largest fine levied against a cable provider to date. The FCC found consumers were signed up for services they didn't ask for, and in some cases specifically said they didn't want, and spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the unauthorized services removed. The company must also submit to 5 years if monitoring in a complaimce program.

FCC dont play.
So timely. I had a similar experience today when I learned Amazon signed me up for a 9.99/mo subscription service without my permission. For 3 months I have unknowingly paid for something I didn't know existed or want.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
So timely. I had a similar experience today when I learned Amazon signed me up for a 9.99/mo subscription service without my permission. For 3 months I have unknowingly paid for something I didn't know existed or want.
Wow, that just happened to me last month with Amazon ... I got signed up for 'prime' without choosing it. I looked at the website when I saw the charge on my CC and couldn't easily find a way to communicate with Amazon. I disputed the charge, as I don't think it's my responsibility to chase Amazon down to get this charge reversed. One thing that lights my fuse is arrogance ... not making online communication readily available is just that.

I remember an issue with Expedia and an on-line hotel booking several years ago. They 'prepaid' my reservation which was 9 months out to the tune of $700. I'd like to know who would be dumb enough to make that kind of a res.

Expedia insisted that I call to discuss the problem, I insisted that they were an OTA and the problem would get fixed online. No way am I going to waste my time explaining my story to 6 different people to get to the right department. Took several months, but they finally cancelled the whole booking (great solution for me, huh?) and gave me the credit. It was gratifying to check again several months later and find that Expedia was now identifying their various rates much more clearly. Booking/buying online is fraught with peril; I wish more people understood this.

Jan 22, 2015
@jsn55 I have had to contact Amazon a few times. I've found that doing a live chat worked well, especially since I could then email myself a copy of the transcript