New VRBO policy: reviews follow the property - regardless if new owner or manager

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 5, 2019
If I were reading reviews on a vacation rental with negative comments about the management company, I don't think that would sway me at all. If a reviewer says that management and staff were great, that's a positive, but a tiny component of my research and decision.
cleanliness, pest free or on demand pest control (dead deer in yard ?), sheets/ furniture without stains, installing window units at 10PM if HVAC goes out, tech support with entertainment gizmos (TV not working? oh boy!) , supplies at arrival like coffee and dish soap, emergency weather or roadside assistance (fallen across across road) in a remote place with little connectivity. If these were negative it wouldn't sway you?

In our case, The owners supply a desirable house with basics we require from our pro experience ( example white 100% cotton linens). They pay their mortgage, insurance and taxes; we handle 100% of guest experience. I own many of our properties as well as manage for absentee owners. I also traveled exclusively for about 20 years using vacation rentals.

This has been an interesting exercise for me . Your opinion and all those above have been been tremendous food for thought. I am very grateful. I can't find a citation at the moment but I heard a news story last month or so about a proposed congressional bill to create some oversight of reviews on amazon. (if I recall correctly--- some products on amazon, once made by supplier A was utilizing reviews now manufactured by supplier B. Of course in this story, supplier B was a far inferior product). regardless if my memory is correct on the story, it's poses an interesting question, yes?

Online reviews are not going away anytime soon. They are a vital part of our new society. This is new frontier stuff.

All that said --- I went and looked at the new VR rental listing (paid advert) of new PM company. All our reviews are there "4.9 stars! 67 reviews!" , but each one NOW states "This review was made while under different management". Maybe it took a while for that feature to get published? Maybe VRBO heard my entreaties and made a change? I don't know. But this is totally fair and I am at peace with this now.

Great community here; Many thanks!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have also found your post very interesting to see this from the other side as well. I think the majority of people looking at VRBO have no clue that homes that are rented out that use management companies are actually the people that do all of the work, not the owner. It’s too bad we can’t see a list of rentals by management company so you’d know you are getting a responsible company behind the rental.

Sep 5, 2019
I have also found your post very interesting to see this from the other side as well. I think the majority of people looking at VRBO have no clue that homes that are rented out that use management companies are actually the people that do all of the work, not the owner. It’s too bad we can’t see a list of rentals by management company so you’d know you are getting a responsible company behind the rental.
Thanks Neil!
As a final note I want to add here, I, as also an owner of many properties, would never want the reviews of former owners or managers carried over to my new-to-me units. (should be obvious by this point I neither care for future PMs or owners to have 'my' reviews during my ownership or PM)
But that's just like, my opinion, man. :) It's contrary to many I've read here.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
cleanliness, pest free or on demand pest control (dead deer in yard ?), sheets/ furniture without stains, installing window units at 10PM if HVAC goes out, tech support with entertainment gizmos (TV not working? oh boy!) , supplies at arrival like coffee and dish soap, emergency weather or roadside assistance (fallen across across road) in a remote place with little connectivity. If these were negative it wouldn't sway you?

In our case, The owners supply a desirable house with basics we require from our pro experience ( example white 100% cotton linens). They pay their mortgage, insurance and taxes; we handle 100% of guest experience. I own many of our properties as well as manage for absentee owners. I also traveled exclusively for about 20 years using vacation rentals.

This has been an interesting exercise for me . Your opinion and all those above have been been tremendous food for thought. I am very grateful. I can't find a citation at the moment but I heard a news story last month or so about a proposed congressional bill to create some oversight of reviews on amazon. (if I recall correctly--- some products on amazon, once made by supplier A was utilizing reviews now manufactured by supplier B. Of course in this story, supplier B was a far inferior product). regardless if my memory is correct on the story, it's poses an interesting question, yes?

Online reviews are not going away anytime soon. They are a vital part of our new society. This is new frontier stuff.

All that said --- I went and looked at the new VR rental listing (paid advert) of new PM company. All our reviews are there "4.9 stars! 67 reviews!" , but each one NOW states "This review was made while under different management". Maybe it took a while for that feature to get published? Maybe VRBO heard my entreaties and made a change? I don't know. But this is totally fair and I am at peace with this now.

Great community here; Many thanks!
CREEKY POSTED: cleanliness, pest free or on demand pest control (dead deer in yard ?), sheets/ furniture without stains, installing window units at 10PM if HVAC goes out, tech support with entertainment gizmos (TV not working? oh boy!) , supplies at arrival like coffee and dish soap, emergency weather or roadside assistance (fallen across across road) in a remote place with little connectivity. If these were negative it wouldn't sway you?

I stated that negative reviews of the MANAGEMENT COMPANY wouldn't sway me. Several or all of the above problems you list would sway me if they were in a review, of course.

Jul 7, 2018
Was looking for rentals in AZ a few months ago and I ran across a few that stated recent new management took over the property. This was on VRBO so maybe it just took some time until the property listing changed. Or maybe is was your "squeaky wheel".

Sep 27, 2017
Well for one, what you are describing is a business-to-business issue. This is a consumer advocacy board so we don't generally deal with these types of issues. You have not been harmed by this policy as a consumer.

Secondly, it sounds like you feel you worked so hard for those good reviews and they were somehow stolen from you. It just doesn't look that way from my point of view. Those reviews never belonged to you so they couldn't possibly have been stolen from you. The reviews belong to the property and property owners. You were simply an employee contracted to look after the property and now your contract has ended. It's inconceivable to me why you think the property owners should have their reviews reset to zero simply because they chose to hire different staff for their business.

Lastly, imagine you decided to close your business for some reason - maybe you retired, won the lottery, or needed to move to a different state. Do you expect that all your clients and their properties would lose all their reviews through no fault of their own?

I think you are. And that's perfectly ok.
I have no problem at all with this post. It alerts potential renters to the change in a company's policy and educates them. Even though it's a business matter, it gives a head's up to consumers everywhere.