New credit card security issue

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 10, 2017
Mel, I am right with you. I don’t think this should be done- it should be up to the customer to go to the payers and give them the new card number for recurring payments.

I think I’d file a complaint with my State Banking Authority. What’s the point of reporting a missing or stolen card if they are going to put recurring charges through?
Perhaps others are more organized than I, but I find that I don't remember all the accounts where I've stored my CC info, hence having the CC company continue recurring payments is a convenience. Usually, I've then gotten an email telling me that the continuing payment was a one-time courtesy and that I need to change the info with the vendor.

Just the other day, I got an email from Citi that an online payment for the small sum of $7.05 from Walgreen's had been rejected. Since the charge was not mine, I was able via the Citi website to cancel my card and request a new one. The website even told me what the new account number is and the 3 digit verification code so that I could use it immediately. The next day, I got an email from Samsung Pay that Citi had reported the new number to them and that it was all set up. I found it all to be efficient and convenient and I did not feel that my security was jeopardized.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Had same exact issue with Chase CC. It they told me that the first month auto payments would be honored but after that I would need to go to each vendor website and change the cc number/code to match the new card in order for the auto payments to continue.
It’s pretty easy to see which vendors have been set up in auto pay by just looking at your monthly statements.
In any case, I thought I had done the requisite changes but just this month (four months after the change to a new number) I got an email from XFINITY that my payment had been rejected. When I looked at my account on auto pay On their website, I could, sure enough, see that they still had the old cc number and code.
So, not ALL banks are providing the new info to the vendor upon providing a new a cc because of fraud, loss, etc.
People should be more careful about making these blanket statements.