Netflix Incompetence

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 17, 2020
Decided to try the 30 day free trial of Netflix and I saw a program I wanted to watch. But on my Mac apparently, Netflix seems to think the monitor is incompatible when I use Safari to try to watch it — it even throws up an error message saying that. But if I use Firefox, there's no such problem. The only problem I have is that on both browsers (before I started getting the error message in Safari), the video will stutter, then freeze, along with the sound, and after that there's no restarting it without quitting the browser and trying again. It's as though their streaming isn't fast enough to keep everything in sync and moving along.

Called Netflix customer service (which is in the Philippines) and they're of no help at all; their standard response is to blame your device and tell you to use a different one. If only that were possible: most people don't own multiple computers, and if they think people should use a different device, they should be paying for it. Besides, the problem isn't the device, it's their streaming system. They even give features to Windows users that they deliberately don't make available to Mac users, like the ability to download programs for offline viewing.

So I emailed both Reed Hastings and Kristin Embury, and there's been no response from either one, even though I know they read my email. I'd call that a complete failure for customer service, but it seems they aren't interested in that at all; just taking your money for something you don't need, and is completely dependent on things you can't control.

What else can I do, since I do want to watch that program?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I found multiple articles on this doing a google search for “Netflix issues on a Mac”. Did you try Google?

Here is one :

If your cookies are outdated or corrupted then Netflix won't play on your Mac. It's easy to fix this however. Simply go to netflix.com/clearcookies and Netflix will automatically clear your cookie cache and sign you out of Netflix. Then just sign-in again to Netflix to start watching a movie or TV show.

Apr 10, 2017
Decided to try the 30 day free trial of Netflix and I saw a program I wanted to watch. But on my Mac apparently, Netflix seems to think the monitor is incompatible when I use Safari to try to watch it — it even throws up an error message saying that. But if I use Firefox, there's no such problem. The only problem I have is that on both browsers (before I started getting the error message in Safari), the video will stutter, then freeze, along with the sound, and after that there's no restarting it without quitting the browser and trying again. It's as though their streaming isn't fast enough to keep everything in sync and moving along.

Called Netflix customer service (which is in the Philippines) and they're of no help at all; their standard response is to blame your device and tell you to use a different one. If only that were possible: most people don't own multiple computers, and if they think people should use a different device, they should be paying for it. Besides, the problem isn't the device, it's their streaming system. They even give features to Windows users that they deliberately don't make available to Mac users, like the ability to download programs for offline viewing.

So I emailed both Reed Hastings and Kristin Embury, and there's been no response from either one, even though I know they read my email. I'd call that a complete failure for customer service, but it seems they aren't interested in that at all; just taking your money for something you don't need, and is completely dependent on things you can't control.

They haven't taken your money, it's a free trial. Don't subscribe.

Feb 3, 2020
I agree with Jessamyn. It may well be a signal problem, whether internet speed or wifi signal strength. A while back we had numerous problems with streaming, especially upstairs in our bonus room which is the greatest distance from the source. We checked the wifi signal strength and discovered that, in that room, the signal was poor, so poor that the neighbor's wifi signal was stronger there than our own. We purchased a wifi range extender, a small unit that plugs into the wall between your source and the target device. It works like a "repeater station" for your wifi. It solved our problem.

Reactions: jsn55
Feb 3, 2020
P.S. These wifi range extenders are not expensive. The unit we purchased at Amazon cost about $30. It improves the signal throughout the house.

Sep 19, 2015

How are you so certain that it is a netflix problem and not a safari problem?

They are not taking your money for something you do not need, it is a 30 day free trial and if you do not need it, cancel it.

Netflix does not have an app for downloading on watching offline for a Mac -- they do for iphone or ipad. -- mac users may be too few to warrant the development or there may be technical/licensing issues --

I am not surprised that the execs have not responsed.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Everyone has good suggestions ... but the bottom line is that your problem is so complex; there are dozens of reasons for failure. If you have someone that fixes your computer, it's worth an hour to get it all ironed out.

Apr 10, 2017
Everyone has good suggestions ... but the bottom line is that your problem is so complex; there are dozens of reasons for failure. If you have someone that fixes your computer, it's worth an hour to get it all ironed out.
And if you figure it out, they'll be a software update and you're back to square one.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
If the video is stuttering and freezing, that's an internet connection problem. Check your download speeds, and then, check your contract with your service provider (ie Comcast, Fios, etc.) You may be on a contract where your download speed is limited if you hit a certain usage level.

May 30, 2019
I don't know macs but on Windows, you can download a Netflix app which, for me, streams more smoothly than using a browser window.

And are you sure the incompetence belongs to Netflix?

Reactions: jsn55 and Mel65
Jan 11, 2019
Don't use Safari, it's crap. My husband is a software engineer, and he said don't use it. Netflix adjust to network latency but if your network is really slow, it won't work well if at all. I unfortunately currently have satellite wifi and it's throttled during busy times, so I know all about slow internet.

Reactions: BostonJohn