Need help with Enterprise Damage Recovery Unit

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 18, 2016
Good Evening All,

This is my first post so hopefully I clearly explain my situation and this isn't too long. From 5-9 March 2016, I rented a car from the Enterprise Rental Facility at the Albuquerque NM airport. When I returned the car on March 9th, the woman who received the car inspected the inside of the car, checked to see if the gas was at a full tank then gave me my receipt and wished me a safe flight home.

Then a few weeks later, I received a note from the Enterprise Damage Recovery Unit stating "Dear Sir/Madam: Thank you for your recent rental. Our Damage Recovery Unit has received notification of damage or loss to the vehicle you rented. If you have not already done so, please contact your insurance company and/or credit card company to report this claim. Failure to report in a timely manner may void any coverage you may have. Once reported, please contact us to provide your claim information. If you do not have insurance or wish to pay this claim yourself, we will send you a bill along with support documents If you have any questions regarding your responsibility, please contact our office."

Instead of calling them on this bogus notification with no proof or information regarding what "damage" I caused, I sent them the following email response so I could have some type of paper trail:

Good Morning Sir/Madam,
Yesterday (03/29/2016), I received a letter from the Enterprise Damage Recovery Unit stating that you have received notification of damage or loss to the vehicle I rented.
Below is the information stated within the letter (dated 03/22/2016):
Claim Number: Provided
Date of Loss: 03/09/2016
Vehicle (YMM): 2016-JOUR-DODG
Rental Agreement#: Provided
Before I involve or contact my credit card or insurance company, please provide specific details as to what damage/loss was done to the above rental car and also provide me with the following documentation:
Damage Incident Report
Original Rental Agreement
Receipt
Repair Bill/Estimate
Fleet Utilization Log
Pictures showing the damage/loss
Thank you,
Signed

Now today (18 April 2016), they send another letter that states their review indicates that I am responsible for the damages to their vehicle and documentation to support their claim. On page 4 of the document, it says that the cause was "a dog chewed thru the passenger side second row seat belt and driver side third row seat belt. Both were torn and chewed thru." On my receipt from March 9th at 10:46am has mileage in at 8773 but Enterprise's time stamp on March 13th at 4:39pm has mileage in at 8859 (4 days and 86 miles later).

The total balance due is just over $300; however, I did not cause these damages. First thing is that I don't own a dog nor was a dog in that rental car. Second, my wife is allergic to dogs (and cats) so we wouldn't have one in the car. Third, we were traveling from NJ and would not bring anything but ourselves. Lastly, nobody was in the back seat of the car.

How do I fight this and what should my next step be?

Thanks,
Charlie

Last edited:

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Good grief, a dog chewed the seat belts? A new low.

Just send them a letter stating that you did not damage their vehicle and to please drop this claim. If they call you, do not speak with them. Handle everything in writing.

I don't suppose you noticed any chewed seatbelts while the car was in your possession? No, I thought not. What a bunch of bozos.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Follow the steps in the How to post.

In the future, take pictures at pick up and return of your vehicle.

And point out that there are 86 more miles on the car than when you rented it so they need to go to the person who had it after you.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
@Charlie G. - May I applaud you on the records you kept and on approaching Enterprise in writing.

Since you returned the vehicle on March 9 and Enterprise's "proof" shows the return as March 13, they have obviously slipped up.

Please review the "How To Deal With..." link shown above (you are not the first person to contact Elliott Forums about a surprise damage claim) and follow the guidelines.

I would write a letter (factual and free from emotion, as was the one you sent us) and email it to the Customer Care link shown at http://elliott.org/company-contacts/enterprise/

If you've had no response in one week, send the letter to the next contact in line, Steve Bloom. There are additional management contacts listed if you have no response from the first two. Please do allow a week between letters.

Be sure to succinctly state that since their "proof" is time-stamped four days and 86 miles after you returned the car, they have obviously sent the damage claim to the wrong renter.

Feb 9, 2016
From what I read, you've got this handled. The return receipt and their own documentation seems to be proof enough that the damage was not caused while the vehicle was in your possession. Personally I would start there. Courteously and professionally reply to the correspondence with the evidence you have . Point out the date discrepancies and the mileage that was added after you rented it. Also point out that you didnt travel with a dog (right?)

If that doesn't do the trick, then I wold start following the advice i the link above.

It seems to me that they should let it go, based on the proof you have, but they may choose to push it to see if they ca get some money from you.

Mar 22, 2017
Hi there,
I have a similar issue to the one above, but my Enterprise rental was in Germany, and I am getting letters from Enterprise US stating damages and amount owed. I have written to them for evidence, but none has been forthcoming, and today they threatened me with a letter to "..turn this matter to a collection agency...". Any advice?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hi there,
I have a similar issue to the one above, but my Enterprise rental was in Germany, and I am getting letters from Enterprise US stating damages and amount owed. I have written to them for evidence, but none has been forthcoming, and today they threatened me with a letter to "..turn this matter to a collection agency...". Any advice?
Use the link we have and write going up the executive chain as we suggest.

May 5, 2017
A (very) small non-profit I'm involved with rented an Enterprise Passenger Van for a week last month. On checkout, we didn't notice any damage, but the van is about 7 feet tall, and we were not provided access to the roof. Guess where they found damage....

They called us about it the next day. So, I ran out there that evening, found the van again and, using my cell phone held way above my head, took pictures of the roof and there is, indeed, damage. But, there's more rust than I would have expected in a week (especially since it was dry until the day we returned the van). And, besides, we know we didn't damage the van. I can prove that more/less exhaustively since Google records my phone's location and, add Google Street View to that, there's just no place that these particular damages could have happened.

Here's the question: In our letter back, do I (a) acknowledge the existence of the damages, but say "they were there before we rented. See, look at all the rust on these pictures I took." or (b) dispute the existence of the damages and get them to provide documents for everything?