NCL Uk want to cancel my booking - can I appeal?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 10, 2017
Hi there,
In January I booked a 14 day Alaskan land tour advertised on NCL's UK website at an amazing price.
I phoned NCL directly to check the offer was legitimate and the CC contacted her supervisors in the UK and the US and was advised it was good to book.
I received all my booking confirmation that day with the deposit paid.
A few days later the holiday was no longer bookable from the UK and in February was not on the UK website.
However, it IS still being offered for sale (at almost twice the price) on US website.
Last night the NCL cruise consultant phoned to say she'd been told to cancel my cruise because "it was no longer available". I know, of course, that it IS still available to US customers.

Do you think I should contact NCL to ask them to look into this? I have had nothing in writing from them.

We could not afford (family of six) to rebook the cruise and a land tour separately so if they won't honour this we have lost our holiday.
Because of the super price we booked an inside and a balcony cabin, but if we have to now find money for our own land excursion we could only afford inside cabins (regardless of who we end up sailing with).

If I try to contact their Head Office do you think they might consider 1) Honouring the contract as I booked in good faith direct with NCL and the trip is still available to buy.
or possibly 2) they would consider the option of allowing me to re-book the cruise only but with a free upgrade to release some of our budget to enable us to try to set up an independent land tour?

Any advice would be gratefully received - this would have been our first cruise so it is all totally new to me!

Jan 6, 2015
Thank you. Can you provide more detail about the cruise and the land tour, for both the UK trip you booked and the current US trip? (port of departure, etc.)

Jun 10, 2017
Yes, thank you for your reply.

It was advertised as "14 day Southbound Authentic cruise tour" on both UK/US websites.
It departs Fairbanks on Tuesday 24th July 2018 - embarking the Norwegian Sun in Seward Monday 30th July - Arrives Vancouver Monday 6th August .

Thank you for your help.

Jan 6, 2015
Yes, thank you for your reply.

It was advertised as "14 day Southbound Authentic cruise tour" on both UK/US websites.
It departs Fairbanks on Tuesday 24th July 2018 - embarking the Norwegian Sun in Seward Monday 30th July - Arrives Vancouver Monday 6th August .

Thank you for your help.
Again, thank you. So the cruise is USA/Canada based with an accompanying land tour. And this exact itinerary is still available on the US website. Given all that, it seems to me that NCL should honor the booking you made.

You can appeal your case electronically by using the Company Contacts link near the top of this page. I recommend you start with the Primary Contact email link.

How long should I wait?
Wait 2 weeks for a reply before moving on to the higher level contacts. When contacting executives, I like to begin with an apology for taking their time "because I know you are busy with other, very important matters. I have reached out to customer service, but they were unsuccessful in fulfilling my request."

Please keep us posted on your progress ...

Jun 10, 2017
Again, thank you. So the cruise is USA/Canada based with an accompanying land tour. And this exact itinerary is still available on the US website. Given all that, it seems to me that NCL should honor the booking you made.

You can appeal your case electronically by using the Company Contacts link near the top of this page. I recommend you start with the Primary Contact email link.

How long should I wait?
Wait 2 weeks for a reply before moving on to the higher level contacts. When contacting executives, I like to begin with an apology for taking their time "because I know you are busy with other, very important matters. I have reached out to customer service, but they were unsuccessful in fulfilling my request."

Please keep us posted on your progress ...
That is SO helpful - thank you very much indeed for your help.
I will contact them this afternoon and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again. x

Jan 6, 2015
You are welcome. When you do, present just the facts.

- It was on the UK website
- I called X and Y to verify prior to purchase
- I have confirmation emails
- Itinerary is still available on US website

Avoid negative statements. Your case really stands on it's own. They haven't cancelled the cruise or the tour, so it appears that this is a cost savings move by them (i.e., they had an "oops" when it was published.

Now, they may come back with a statement that the advertised price was "an obvious error", but your due diligence in calling should carry the day. In the future, ask them to confirm by email whenever you obtain a promise from a company.

Jun 10, 2017
From your post I'm assuming you booked through UK site? If so, you may have further protections available to you but I don't know the laws there although we have a frequent poster (@honestpointofview ) who is more well versed in UK laws.
Yes, I booked by phone in the UK.
Hopefully honestpointofview will see this and have some ideas too.
For now, I have submitted my appeal via the Primary Contact link and have received an automated acknowledgement.
Thanks again for your help.

Jan 6, 2015
Yes, I booked by phone in the UK.
Hopefully honestpointofview will see this and have some ideas too.
For now, I have submitted my appeal via the Primary Contact link and have received an automated acknowledgement.
Thanks again for your help.
But you do have email confirmation, correct?

Apr 10, 2017
But you do have email confirmation, correct?
That was going to be my question. Does she have an email confirmation stating she had booked the cruise/tour at the discounted price? If you have this your case should be fine. It's important that the discounted price be reflected along with your booking confirmation.

Jan 6, 2015
Yes, I have email confirmation of the booking, with the correct price and Itinerary - it came as soon as I paid my deposit.
Excellent. That is critical to your appeal. They assisted you in booking the trip and confirmed via email.

And in this case, I think the fact that you used the phone to book works for you and not against you. In other words, you didn't just find some "ridiculously low fare" and book via the web site, which they can then say "it should have been obvious that this was not a valid fare".

Keep us posted ...

Jun 10, 2017
Just double checked (!) - everything is there on the email : )
It includes the total price , the deposit paid and the balance due amount and date. All the prices involved are at the price I saw advertised at the time (the discounted price).
I also have screen shots of the holiday advertised on the UK website at that price too.
I feel encouraged by all your support. Thank you x

John Galbraith

Staff Member
Director
Jan 22, 2017
Poole
Hi Daffodil,

My fellow advocates (@VoR61 @Carrie Livingston ) have given you great advice about writing to the company with a letter setting out just the facts.

I will be intrigued to see the response when it comes. If the cruise is still happening I am not sure on what basis NCL thinks it can cancel the booking.

I started to write a long response but to keep it short in my view (we can't give legal advice here) is that once NCL confirmed the booking it can't just change it's mind.

NCL recognise this in it's terms:

"A binding contract between us will come into existence when we verbally confirm your booking and provide a reservation number to you if booking direct or your travel agent receives confirmation of your booking and a reservation number from us by any means or your booking is confirmed by our website"

I see that you did have confirmation of the booking -- Did that come with a reservation number?

Jan 6, 2015
Hi Daffodil,

My fellow advocates (@VoR61 @Carrie Livingston ) have given you great advice about writing to the company with a letter setting out just the facts.

I will be intrigued to see the response when it comes. If the cruise is still happening I am not sure on what basis NCL thinks it can cancel the booking.

I started to write a long response but to keep it short in my view (we can't give legal advice here) is that once NCL confirmed the booking it can't just change it's mind.

"A binding contract between us will come into existence when we verbally confirm your booking and provide a reservation number to you if booking direct or your travel agent receives confirmation of your booking and a reservation number from us by any means or your booking is confirmed by our website"

I see that you did have confirmation of the booking -- Did that come with a reservation number?
And a hearty Amen to that!

Jun 10, 2017
Hi Daffodil,

Hi John,
Yes, it did have a reservation number on the confirmation email.

I looked at those UK terms and conditions too and there's another paragraph "We reserve the right to correct errors in both advertised and confirmed prices. We will do so as soon as we become aware of the error.”

They clearly didn't do that as soon as they became aware of the error because that would have been in February!

I'm also a bit dubious of the lack of anything in writing to me to say there's a problem and that I need to cancel - it was just a phone call.

Thank you for your help and advice - I'll post back if/when I hear from them. x

John Galbraith

Staff Member
Director
Jan 22, 2017
Poole
Hi Daffodil,

Yes I saw that too. It's an interesting one given U.K consumer laws!

Anyway keep following the advice of the my fellow advocates here. They will tell you what do when you get a response. I am very interested to see what they say!

Jan 6, 2015
Hi Daffodil,

Yes I saw that too. It's an interesting one given U.K consumer laws!

Anyway keep following the advice of the my fellow advocates here. They will tell you what do when you get a response. I am very interested to see what they say!
Actually, I tried searching for those sentences and did not find them on any official NCL web pages. What I found for NCL is this:

The only thing it says about prices is: "Once we have received your deposit or full payment, the cruise rate is secure except in the event of substantial increases in operating costs, tariffs or taxes prior to the sailing date."

So, better for you if this is the applicable policy ...