Name truncated on Delta ticket

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 25, 2018
This is my first time posting in the forums and I first want to thank Elliott.org and the forums for providing useful advice and assistance.

Taking all that I have learned here, I recently booked four tickets on Delta directly at Delta.com. I fly delta pretty often and have a FF account with them. On both my passport and my Global Entry card, my full first and full middle name are both under the "Given name" section. Since I most often use delta for international travel, I have both my first and middle name entered in the "first name" of the system. However, since they are together quiet long, my middle name always gets truncated.

Like I said, I've flown delta a lot and this has never been a problem. I tried to correct it this time and typed out my full middle name in the spot allowed and it allowed it, but then truncated somewhere along the way. Are these types of truncations a problem? Particularly since I booked directly through the airline?

Also, since I am flying domestic, I will actually be using the driver's license for id, which just has first name and middle init. Is this ever a problem either? (I of course will have my global entry card on me too so this is less of a problem).

Maybe I'm just way over thinking this. The tales of woe on here left me checking every single letter and number of my tickets before I purchased. I purchased the trip insurance. And checked my email for the ticket (not just the confirmation). I'm a more informed traveler for sure!

Feb 3, 2017
What did Delta say when you asked them? I don't want to suggest an answer because I am uncertain but the airline might be able to alleviate your concerns or confirm your concerns.

Jul 27, 2016
Delta truncates/merges names all the time. I'm John Michael Smith (well, not really, but you get the idea). I'm usually Johnm Smith on boarding passes, sometimes JohnMicha Smith. Never an issue.

Also, my Skymiles account doesn't exactly match my passport (passport has a roman numeral after my name, Skymiles doesn't), again, never been an issue.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If most of the name is there you should be ok. The airlines just don’t have enough room to fit long names in. You can call Delta and ask them to but a notation on the record. You really don’t need to put a middle name on a domestic ticket. You can fly with a first and last name.

Oct 25, 2018
Thank you for the replies. I will give delta a call but I am no longer worried. It has been truncated all the times I've flown in the past and it never worried me. But now that I'm reading this site and hearing about all the horrific name changes, I got worried.

FYI, most of the middle name is there. Think Elizabeth Garden Smith when then full name is Elizabeth Gardener Smith.

Jul 27, 2016
The stories we see here are mainly an issue of large numbers. If only 1 in 100,000 US air travelers had an issue with their name on the ticket, and only 1 in 100 of those made it to this board, that would still be more than a story a week.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is my first time posting in the forums and I first want to thank Elliott.org and the forums for providing useful advice and assistance.

Taking all that I have learned here, I recently booked four tickets on Delta directly at Delta.com. I fly delta pretty often and have a FF account with them. On both my passport and my Global Entry card, my full first and full middle name are both under the "Given name" section. Since I most often use delta for international travel, I have both my first and middle name entered in the "first name" of the system. However, since they are together quiet long, my middle name always gets truncated.

Like I said, I've flown delta a lot and this has never been a problem. I tried to correct it this time and typed out my full middle name in the spot allowed and it allowed it, but then truncated somewhere along the way. Are these types of truncations a problem? Particularly since I booked directly through the airline?

Also, since I am flying domestic, I will actually be using the driver's license for id, which just has first name and middle init. Is this ever a problem either? (I of course will have my global entry card on me too so this is less of a problem).

Maybe I'm just way over thinking this. The tales of woe on here left me checking every single letter and number of my tickets before I purchased. I purchased the trip insurance. And checked my email for the ticket (not just the confirmation). I'm a more informed traveler for sure!
You did good being careful, Jeanne. I know exactly what you mean ... since I've been on this forum I've learned about awful things being done to travellers ... things that I couldn't imagine in a million years. Thank goodness middle name disasters have not been reported here ... but you never know, so best be pro-active. Thanks for your kind words, we appreciate you.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Maybe a phone call to Delta would allow you to get the name issue corrected on your account so you won’t have this problem again.
Did you put your middle name in the first name box on purpose for your GE and passport? Was there a specific reason for that?

Sep 21, 2018

Yep - overthinking it. There are only a limited number of characters, so when they truncate the name it is not an issue. :)