Name Change help for JetAirways India

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
Oct 13, 2018
Dear Team,

I have booking on 22nd October 2018 from Mumbai to Guilin through Hongkong through Make my trip website, I had mispelled my wife's last name which is supposed to be "Madaiah". Since Make my trip takes Name and Passport details at once and applies to all the tickets under the booking the same mistake has been applied to all the tickets under it.

Make my trip did contact Jet Airways for the correction and Jet Airways had replied saying which cannot be changed and ticket needs to be re-booked.
Followed by which I did had a conversation with Jet Airways Customer Care and the same has been conveyed to me.

For the other Ticket, Srilankan Airlines is ready to make the change as its only 1 character for a nominal fee.

Similarly, when contacted Cathay Dragon Customer Support they did inform if it would have been a Cathay document we would have made the changes since its a Jet Airways Document only they can do this change.

We have booked this ticket long back and the cancellation charges are way to high and re-booking will only increase the cost and hassle to make will totally ruin our vacation plan.

I did send the similar email to jet airways nodal officer and member relations team not sure if they would respond positive, looking out for help so that things can go smooth.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
When you booked the tickets you had 24 hours to correct it and no charge if you live in the US. Did you contact the website right away and let them know you made a mistake when you entered the name?

These website only put on the tickets what you type in- it takes no information from you passport to apply spell check the name.

If it’s been more then 24 hours, I have bring the beater of bad news, airlines do require you to purchase new tickets.

How far off was the name? Was it just a one letter error or worse than that?

Oct 13, 2018
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the response, it is exactly off by one letter, instead of Madaiah i have Madiah. I have one character missed out

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That’s considered a minor change. Most airlines will make a notation on the record for you. Use our contacts for Jet and try and contact the Executives. Tell them it is a minor change, just off by one letter and ask if they can note the record.

Had you checked the confirmation, you should have been able to fix it with no issues.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/jet-airways/

To anyone reading this- please verify the confirmation as soon as you receive it to ensure names are spelled properly and all flight information is correct. You usually have 24 hours to cancel and rebook the ticket properly at no charge.

If you wait and find an error later- you might have to buy a new ticket because name changes can’t be made by most airlines.

Reactions: jsn55

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
From https://www.jetairways.com/en/us/termsandconditions/general.aspx
Name change

• A change to name is not permitted in Jet Airways. You would need to cancel your ticket and book a new ticket with the correct guest(s) name. Cancellation charges, if any, will be applicable accordingly.
In view of this written policy, you may have no choice but to cancel and rebook. Try our contacts but the longer you wait, the higher the ticket price will likely go. You will have to pay the different in ticket cost from when you bought to what the price currently is. Buyou may be getting that answer because you are saying you need a name change when you actually need a correction. Approach the airline saying you need a correction not a change.

And you may have to go back to the OTA you booked it through if the airline insists you have to buy a new ticket.

Sep 19, 2015
Have you checked on the exact rules from the DGCA -- please use the correct term -- this is not a name change (which implies a different passenger taking the flight) -- this is a name correction.

Last year the then Minister of Civil Aviation said airlines cannot charge more for a name correction.

For the benefit of all passengers - As per DGCA regulations, Airlines cannot charge any additional amount for correction in the name of the same person, when the person brings this to the notice of the airline after booking the ticket.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...passenger-name-error/articleshow/61677595.cms

Re: Indian Airways

"As per the new DGCA guidelines, Air India shall not levy any additional charge for correction of name of the same person, when error in his name spelling is detected after issuance of ticket. This is applicable for tickets issued in India and before commencement of journey. "

https://interglobetechnologyquotientblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/16/air-india-22/

There may be a new directive with the new Minister of Civil Aviation. but this may be one avenue to explore.

Sep 19, 2015
The airline can't but the travel agency can.

Make my trip (same OTA as OP) was helping passengers on the tweet exchange I linked above; at that time it does not appear that they were charging extra, but who knows now.

[B]MakeMyTrip Care[/B]‏ @[B]makemytripcare[/B] 21 Nov 2017

Airlines had agreed for the changes and revised tickets has been sent on your email address. You may also refer the below link to view the booking on the airlines website as well.

Still worth the OP checking out

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Make my trip (same OTA as OP) was helping passengers on the tweet exchange I linked above; at that time it does not appear that they were charging extra, but who knows now.

[B]MakeMyTrip Care[/B]‏ @[B]makemytripcare[/B] 21 Nov 2017

Airlines had agreed for the changes and revised tickets has been sent on your email address. You may also refer the below link to view the booking on the airlines website as well.

Still worth the OP checking out
I absolutely agree - good sleuthing there, Christina - you are the best at that kind of research.