My ill parents were scammed by a "debt consolidation company"

  • Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2019
My mother has clinical depression and my father with type 1 diabetes has been getting sicker and sicker over the past few years. Lately he's been so bad, he's just out of reality. Stopped taking care of himself. His teeth are going bad and he's stopped eating, has to take meds to get to sleep every night. We thought he might have depression.
I did some digging after some law firm sent a goon to pound on our front door on Sunday to deliver an advertisement for bankruptcy (which seems illegal in itself) and found out that he's been hiding the family's credit card debt and he contacted 2 "businesses" to consolidate the debt. They've had him on a payment schedule for over a year.
I knew something was off because Discover recently opened a lawsuit against him, just his name on it, not the supposed "law firm" that was supposed to help him and seems like nothing has been paid off because they've been telling him not to make any payments.

I'm so lost on this. What can I do? It's literally been destroying my parents health and eating away at their dwindling retirement money.


Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Your state or city probably has an Elder Care Protection department or something like that. It would be part of the Attorney General's office or possibly the department of health and human services. That would be a good place to start. You may be able to get yourself appointed as his guardian and then you would be able to be in charge of his finances, etc.
Feb 3, 2017
There are also Elder Care advocacy organizations that may be able to direct you to the appropriate resource if you don't find what you are looking for.

If you believe your dad is not competent to manage his affairs (and, I'm not saying that is the case, just whether your observations re: this and other actions lead you to believe that may be the case at this point in time), you may seek to conservatorship but that can be lengthy and it can be painful/hurtful to your parents.

If this is something that may need considering, again the appropriate attorney or Elder Care advocate can give you some guidance.

Here's one online resource (I am not recommending their resources, only offering up the website as an example of what you might find if you do more research on these issues with which you are concerned):

My sister and I had to do something similar which put us in control of my dad's assets/finances after it was apparent he could no longer manage them and I did that work for him for 10 years until his death. He was so glad to have it out of his hands but many will resist such efforts.

Again - this is just one other potential aspect of the situation that MAY be happening. Does not mean it is - obviously.

Best of luck
Likes: ADM
Not open for further replies.