My bag was pilfered on 9/22 . Delta won't pay for glasses and asthma inhalers.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 31, 2019
I was returning from a trip to Disney on 9/22. My flights were MCO/ATL/GRB. The flight was overbooked and there was limited space in the overhead bin and my carryon bag was checked (involuntarily). When my bag arrived in GRB it had been pilfered and the only things left in the bag were a tee shirt and an umbrella.

The claim process was awful and the baggage claim people at Delta were less than helpful or courteous. I had a pair of expensive prescription glasses in my suitcase along with 3 asthma inhalers. One inhaler was in use and I travel with two spares as I have had an occasional faulty inhaler. My copay on 3 inhalers which I get every 3 months is 10.00. Insurance pays 593.00. My insurance does not pay for stolen or lost medication and I cannot get my inhalers until 12/4/2019. The cash price for 3 inhalers is 842.00 Delta is paying 198.00 for one inhaler and not reimbursing 3. I cannot purchase one inhaler with Delta's payment let alone replace 3 inhalers. I have been out of medication and have been to Urgent care once. In addition, they are paying me 80% of the value of the glasses. Prescription medicine and assistive devices are to be reimbursed at 100%. What is fair and what do I do?

Jul 30, 2018
One of the things the seasoned travellers on this forum recommend is that when you pack your carryon, place medicine and other necessary items in a seperate pouch like a zip lock bag. That way if you have to gate check a carryon you can just grab the pouch before giving the bag to airline personnel.

Fortunately I have never had to make any lost luggage claims so I will ask that you hang tight until one of my forum friends come along.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should always remove anything important from your carry on before you gate check and always have a TSA lock on it so you have less of a chance of a someone stealing something.

As far as the glasses, no airline will pay you 100% replacement value for anything because it’s not new.

I would appeal to Delta. Here are our company contacts:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/delta-airlines/

Here is how to write- please read it fully and follow the instructions exactly as they tell you to:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Jul 13, 2016
I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience. The real problem here is that all airlines have a clause stating that they will not reimburse for medications. I was surprised to see that Delta did not mention eyeglasses, as they are often included on the list. Here is Delta's policy:
Delta is not responsible or liable for cash, camera equipment, commercial effects, computer software and equipment, electronic equipment, fragile articles, jewelry, lifesaving medication, negotiable papers, irreplaceable business documents, works of art or other similar valuable items contained in checked or unchecked baggage.

Oct 31, 2019
Did you have an opportunity to retrieve your meds and other critical items from the bag before it was checked? If not, then the carrier should be held totally responsible for the losses.
No, and my "personal item" was as full as possible with what I held most valuable.

Oct 31, 2019
I am so sorry that you had such a bad experience. The real problem here is that all airlines have a clause stating that they will not reimburse for medications. I was surprised to see that Delta did not mention eyeglasses, as they are often included on the list. Here is Delta's policy:
Delta is not responsible or liable for cash, camera equipment, commercial effects, computer software and equipment, electronic equipment, fragile articles, jewelry, lifesaving medication, negotiable papers, irreplaceable business documents, works of art or other similar valuable items contained in checked or unchecked baggage.
What I am trying to determine is if prescription eyeglasses for someone who has really bad vision are considered an "assistive device."

From the DOT
  • On domestic flights, U.S. carriers must fully compensate passengers for loss or damage to wheelchairs or other assistive devices, without regard to rules limiting liability for lost or damaged baggage.
  • On international flights, the Montreal convention provisions control payments for items including assistive devices.
  • If you believe your rights have been violated and the airline employee you find at first is unable to help you, ask to speak with a Complaints Resolution Official (CRO). A CRO is the airline’s expert on disability accommodation issues. Airlines are required to make one available to you, at no cost, in person at the airport or by telephone during the times they are operating.
Updated: Wednesday, November 15, 2017
An assistive device is any piece of equipment that assists a passenger with a disability in coping with the effects of his or her disability. These devices are intended to assist passengers with a disability to hear, see, communicate, maneuver, or perform other functions of daily life. Assistive devices include (but are not limited to):
  • Crutches, Canes, and Walkers
  • Braces/Prosthetics
  • Wheelchairs
  • Hearing aids
  • Portable Oxygen Concentrators (POCs)
  • Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machines
  • Prescription medications and any medical devices needed to administer those medications, such as syringes or auto-injectors

Oct 31, 2019
You should always remove anything important from your carry on before you gate check and always have a TSA lock on it so you have less of a chance of a someone stealing something.

As far as the glasses, no airline will pay you 100% replacement value for anything because it’s not new.

I would appeal to Delta. Here are our company contacts:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/delta-airlines/

Here is how to write- please read it fully and follow the instructions exactly as they tell you to:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
I will l do when I find out if prescription eyeglasses are assistive devices. Thank you. (I will try to be polite and succinct.)

Apr 19, 2017
That’s the “everyone knows to keep high-value items with you” clause. It should only apply if you were able to follow this advice.

Mar 23, 2015
[QUOTE="]No, and my "personal item" was as full as possible with what I held most valuable.[/QUOTE] That would indicate the medication wasn't deemed that important/valuable to you, after all. I would ask for the cost of 1 inhaler to get you through November until your refill kicks in in December, since that amount might be more palatable to them, as medications aren't generally covered and should ALWAYS be carried on your person. Everything I consider "essential/valuable" my wallet, keys, phone, medications, passport are together in one small bag that fits inside my larger bag so it can be yanked out if necessary.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I will l do when I find out if prescription eyeglasses are assistive devices. Thank you. (I will try to be polite and succinct.)
Were the glasses an extra pair? I would think their response might be if they were essential you would have been wearing them. That might be a response for a claim, so in your letter, make sure you explain why you weren’t wearing them.

Sep 19, 2015
I do not think glasses are an assistive device.

As Neil pointed out why were the glasses not being worn?

As for the inhaler have you looked to see if one could be bought for less expense — such as a manufacturer program for times insurance does not cover them —
If your copay is 3.33 a month and the insurance pays $197.66 a month that is about $200 per month and there may be a way to use the 189 to buy one if there is a discount program.

Is the inhaler used every day?

Jul 13, 2016
I do not think glasses are an assistive device.

As Neil pointed out why were the glasses not being worn?

As for the inhaler have you looked to see if one could be bought for less expense — such as a manufacturer program for times insurance does not cover them —
If your copay is 3.33 a month and the insurance pays $197.66 a month that is about $200 per month and there may be a way to use the 189 to buy one if there is a discount program.

Is the inhaler used every day?
Severely sight-impaired people often carry a spare pair of glasses in addition to the pair on their face. My husband does, but he packs the spare pair in his personal item so he will always have them.

Sep 27, 2018
So when I look at that list, that includes the vast majority of what is in my carryon, plus a number of Li-ion batteries which are not supposed to be checked. So if I pull out those items I would be left with an armful of items and handing over a nearly empty bag.

Sep 27, 2018
Were the glasses an extra pair? I would think their response might be if they were essential you would have been wearing them. That might be a response for a claim, so in your letter, make sure you explain why you weren’t wearing them.
For me, I need my glasses to legally drive, but when flying I keep them in my briefcase along with my computer and meds. My reasoning it that they are more likely to be damaged if I am wearing them when flying. The way people are so manic when boarding I can just seem them getting knocked off my face and stepped on.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
So when I look at that list, that includes the vast majority of what is in my carryon, plus a number of Li-ion batteries which are not supposed to be checked. So if I pull out those items I would be left with an armful of items and handing over a nearly empty bag.
But this is what you need to do if they ask you to check your carry on. All you need to do is bring a separate little bag to grab the important things out of so you can stick it under you seat. Or better yet- buy a carry on that fits under the seat in front of you. And buy a TSA luggage lock.

There also other ways to avoid this by having a way to get in an earlier boarding group too. If you have an airline credit card some have early boarding as a perk. Do online check in 24 hours before to try and get an earlier boarding group. Some airlines actually are now allowing payment for earlier boarding.

Do whatever you can do you aren’t in the last few boarding groups.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
For me, I need my glasses to legally drive, but when flying I keep them in my briefcase along with my computer and meds. My reasoning it that they are more likely to be damaged if I am wearing them when flying. The way people are so manic when boarding I can just seem them getting knocked off my face and stepped on.
Thousands of people who wear glasses on the plane have never been trampled or had their glasses knocked off when boarding.