Multiple Cancelled tickets, stuck in Barcelona for an extra day and still waiting on a response from Delta re: missing skymiles and resolution

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 24, 2018
Good Morning!

I am reaching out as I've followed all protocol to connect with Delta Airlines regarding my case: 01289023. I wrote to delta customer relations, waited the 30 days for response and then followed the company contact course of escalation. At this point, I'm reaching out for assistance. Below is my letter to delta along with my requested resolution. I have the original travel documents for all the flights if needed. Any help is appreciated!

Requested REsolution:

1) Earned skymiles/MQMs deposited in my account
2) Earned Delta Vacations promo miles deposited in my account
3) Reimbursement of fare upgrade I paid for but never recieved
4) Additional miles/delta credit for the experience and lack of service/help from Delta (5+ cancelled tickets, 2 cancelled flights, etc.)
5) An apology...

Original email sent: July 9, 2018

Case Number: 01289023
Subject: CC-Voice a Complaint-After Trip

Good Morning!
I'm writing to detail my experience trying to get home from Barcelona while on a Delta Vacations vacation. We were originally to fly home on Sunday, July 1 via Air France / Delta partner flight 8670 to CDG and then connect to MSP via Flight DL 8510 (Premium Economy seating). On the evening of June 30, we received a text that flight DL8510 was cancelled and we’d need to find alternate flights home. Thus began (what I did not know) the path of multiple cancelled tickets, being yelled at by gate agents and ultimately, arriving home over 24 hrs later than planned.

7:00pm, Saturday, June 30

I called Delta immediately and our group of 6 was split up over two flights. My mother and I would be on the BCN to JFK (DL477) to MSP. When I called Delta, they noted that I had upgraded seats on Air France, so they put my mother and I into Delta One for our flight home. How fabulous – we were going to make it home on time AND in comfort!!

8:45am Sunday, July 1

Imagine our surprise when we went to check in and there were issues with our tickets. They were very kind and brought us to the café and said they’d come get us when the ticket issues had been worked out. They said it was no big deal and we arrived well over 3 hours early for our flight, so we weren’t worried. About 45 mins later, the supervisor came with a smile and got us and said it’s all figured out and let’s going. We walked over to the counter to be greeted by a second supervisor who told us, your tickets were cancelled because “you don’t belong in this class of service and you must leave. This is not our problem” and just kept repeating that the flight was now over sold, out tickets were cancelled and that it wasn’t her problem because our original flight was with air France. I kept saying that Delta had been the company who rebooked us and that air France wasn’t a part of it, but no one seemed to care. They shooed us away and said, we cannot help you. Please go.

11am, Sunday July 1

I then had to figure out where ticketing was in the BCN airport (as I’d never been there before) and finally found a delta agent who was presumably already working on our issue. I walked to the counter to talk to a woman on the phone, who glared at me and said I’m already working on your issue. Go sit down, I’ll let you know when I know something. At this point, Our flight was supposed to leave at noon, and we had no idea what flight we were flying on and/or how we were getting home. We also had no idea why our tickets had been cancelled/why were were bumped from the flight.

After about a ½ hr, the delta worker said she found 2 seats on the American Airlines flight 745 through charlotte that left at 2pm and would get into MSP by 11pm. We thanked her for finding these tickets and went across the airport to the kiosk she directed us to, to check in for that flight. Upon arrival at this kiosk, the AA team immediately told us they had told Delta they DID NOT have room on the flight and it was already oversold. So, in essence, this Delta agent knowingly passed the buck off to AA so that she did not have to deal with our issue – that ultimately began with Delta.

12pm, Sunday July 1

Went back to ask the Delta agent about the pass off but was told she could no longer help us as our original flight was with Air France and since the AA tickets hadn’t worked out we needed to work with Air France – there was nothing else that Delta could do. So, again, we had to walk across the airport with all of our luggage and my 67year old mother and find the Air France agent to help us rebook. Upon arrival, he said all flights were booked and there was no way to get on a flight until Monday, July 2. At this point, I said fine, get me a hotel and get me out of here. We were rebooked on KLM/Delta via Amsterdam to MSP on July 2. They even went the extra mile to print out our boarding passes so we’d have one less issue on Monday and could just check our bags and go. How nice after the run around from the BCN delta agents. We got our voucher for a hotel, left the airport and tried to enjoy what we could of Barcelona for another night…

8:40am, Monday, July 2

We go to check in to our flight and notice that our AMS ?MSP flight is no longer listed in our Delta app, but we don’t think much of it because the day before we had over 2+ flights that we weren’t on that were listed in our app… Our flight to Amsterdam was delayed 30 mins+, but the flight went off without a hitch. We arrive in AMS and walk up to the desk with our boarding passes they printed yesterday only to find out that AGAIN, our ticket was cancelled with no reason why (and no notice). So, here we are, with 30 mins to go until the flight takes off with no valid boarding passes. We had checked luggage, so the FABULOUS AMS Delta agent worked furiously to get us on this flight. She managed to get our tickets re-ticketed and our bags on the flight just in the nick of time… This was a relief and the flight home was uneventful (finally!).

In conclusion, over the course of 36 hrs, my 67 year old mother and myself were led on what I can only call a wild goose chase to figure out our own path to get home. I was told multiple times that it was Air France’s issue or that it was Delta’s issue or that Delta Vacations could no longer help and I had to talk to Delta directly. I’m thankful that I was with my mother in a land where I could communicate with people who spoke Spanish, because she would not have been able to handle all of this on her own. As a Minneapolis native, Delta is my hometown airline (even if the HQ was moved to ATL!) I’m just SO VERY disappointed in the chain of events that led to our arrival 24+hrs post plan and with 2 sets of cancelled tickets and multiple transfer of blame – not to mention the AA flight we were transferred to that didn’t have room for us.

I would love to chat with someone from Delta about my experience for resoultion. Also, I have not received my SkyMiles for our trip home…

Thank you!
Kaye Lockrem

Aug 24, 2018
I believe you are entitled to compensation under EU 261. It's worth looking into that avenue. How far up the chain of command have you gone with the Delta executives?
Hi! Yes, we did get compensation under the EU 261, but I'm looking for my miles and a response from Delta at this point. I should be silver medallion with those miles, so it's kinda important to me :) the executive I went to was The first woman in the list. I have to check my emails!

Jul 13, 2016
You have already sent this letter, correct? And have a case number?

Basically, your letter is too long. What you want to do with the first letter or complaint is to persuade the person reading it that you have a valid issue. Then you can give them the more detailed letter.
You could have shortened it to:
On XXX our flights were canceled. Delta phone res agent put my mother and I on new flight, but those tickets were not valid and we spent half the day at the BCN airport being passed between Delta, Air France, and even AA and KLM. Twice our tickets were canceled with no explanation. We eventually got home a day late. I believe we are due compensation under EU 261, and I would also like to have my upgraded seat costs reimbursed as we did not fly in upgraded seats. I would also request that my SkyMiles account be updated with the mileage credit due to me.

You should provide your ticket numbers for both you and your mother.

Aug 24, 2018

Basically, your letter is too long. What you want to do with the first letter or complaint is to persuade the person reading it that you have a valid issue. Then you can give them the more detailed letter.
On XXX our flights were canceled. Delta phone res agent put my mother and I on new flight, but those tickets were not valid and we spent half the day at the BCN airport being passed between Delta, Air France, and even AA and KLM. Twice our tickets were canceled with no explanation. We eventually got home a day late. I believe we are due compensation under EU 261, and I would also like to have my upgraded seat costs reimbursed as we did not fly in upgraded seats. I would also request that my SkyMiles account be updated with the mileage credit due to me.

Thank you for the response! Are you saying I should re-reachout to Delta and get a new case number? Or just resend with an abriviated message...? I definitely have the ticket numbers, just wasn't sure I should post that info here...

Thanks!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
No you were correct not to put the ticket #’s.

Re-write the letter and cut it by 2/3. Use bullet points and facts only.
One of the most difficult points we need to make on this forum, Kay, is that the issue to you is "horrendous and awful" and to the airline it's "well, that's unfortunate". So writing these people a long letter usually means it gets set aside "to read later". These people spend all day in a dark, damp room reading complaints and the only good part of their day is the lunch they brought from home. Your job is to make that person want to help you and route your letter to the right department.

Best mode for your complex situation is a list of the facts with an opening and closing paragraph, stating exactly what you're looking for. Run it by someone who doesn't know what happened to be sure it's very simple and easy to grasp with one read-through. Best of luck, and please let us know what transpires.

Sep 19, 2015

They did receive EU 261 compensation.

Question — do Delta vacation flights earn miles or are they bulk tickets .

Delta vacations is a separate company but is a wholly owned subsidiary. They booked you on Air France operated flight. Air France cancelled their flight for some reason.

Air France has a dedicated premium economy fare class and section. Delta is just starting to put one in to Asia bound flights (PS). As no Premium economy existed on the Delta operated replacement flight someone mistakenly put you into Delta One — which is business class— and then Delta realized that they were not going to be properly paid for the seat, so ticket was cancelled.
They were told why ticket was canceled

This was an improper ticketing and not valid and someone made a mess of it. Same with the AA— I do not think AA wanted to the risk of having to pay overbooking compensation for an endorsed ticket. and they were told why ticket was canceled.

Honestly I have had similar issues with endorsed tickets— always a problem— not once has it gone smoothly and has involved several calls and waiting.

Have you reached out to Delta Vacations — even though it is a subsidiary— they are technically a different legal entity.

Aug 24, 2018
Thanks all for your help. I have reached out to Delta vacations and they really don't have a recourse - I got the bonus miles for booking through them, but I still don't have my delta miles for the flights I paid for. It is an eligible ticket for miles. I re-attempted my complaint to Delta and am still awaiting response. I understand my frustration is their "this is life" moment, but as someone who experienced this nightmare, I can't help but be appalled at the complete lack of even a response. It just makes me sad, as Delta has always been a hometown airline who (I feel) has always gone above and beyond and right now they're letting me down.... I'll keep plugging away!

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks all for your help. I have reached out to Delta vacations and they really don't have a recourse - I got the bonus miles for booking through them, but I still don't have my delta miles for the flights I paid for. It is an eligible ticket for miles. I re-attempted my complaint to Delta and am still awaiting response. I understand my frustration is their "this is life" moment, but as someone who experienced this nightmare, I can't help but be appalled at the complete lack of even a response. It just makes me sad, as Delta has always been a hometown airline who (I feel) has always gone above and beyond and right now they're letting me down.... I'll keep plugging away!
I have no more advice to offer than that given, but I just wanted to say "Kudos" to you! Your attitude hasn't been whiny, aggressive or entitled and even though your experience was flat-out AWFUL, you seemed to take in stride a situation that would likely have had me in tears (or fits of rage!). I hope you get what you're asking for; it doesn't seem out of line to me!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I also commend you for your calm responses. Unfortunately, mileage is one of the issues we don’t advocate but I encourage you to use our company contacts and go up the executive chain the see if they can help with mileage.

Sep 21, 2018
They did receive EU 261 compensation.

Question — do Delta vacation flights earn miles or are they bulk tickets .

Delta vacations is a separate company but is a wholly owned subsidiary. They booked you on Air France operated flight. Air France cancelled their flight for some reason.

Air France has a dedicated premium economy fare class and section. Delta is just starting to put one in to Asia bound flights (PS). As no Premium economy existed on the Delta operated replacement flight someone mistakenly put you into Delta One — which is business class— and then Delta realized that they were not going to be properly paid for the seat, so ticket was cancelled.
They were told why ticket was canceled

This was an improper ticketing and not valid and someone made a mess of it. Same with the AA— I do not think AA wanted to the risk of having to pay overbooking compensation for an endorsed ticket. and they were told why ticket was canceled.

Honestly I have had similar issues with endorsed tickets— always a problem— not once has it gone smoothly and has involved several calls and waiting.

Have you reached out to Delta Vacations — even though it is a subsidiary— they are technically a different legal entity.
They DO get miles (and even bonus miles) when booked with Delta Vacations. And you are on spot with the AF Premium Economy class issue.

Aug 24, 2018
Hi all!

I just wanted to give an update on the resolution from Delta. I ended up calling... One last time... When I had a lot of time to just try and talking through everything. I was SUCCESSFUL!! The agent who worked with me stated that my file was 'a mess' and sorted through it all with me. Within 24 hrs our frequent flier miles were credited, my refund in fare difference was processed AND, as a good will gesture, both my mother and I received eCerts for Delta to use. Very generous and very welcomed. I appreciate the support of this forum and will definitely reach out in the future if needed. Cheers!!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Terrific! So glad you got this unwound, on the phone it really matters which agent you get, but also important is your attitude and communication ability. Well done and thanks so much for making our day!