Motel 6 and American Airlines

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 17, 2019
On July 10th, I flew back from Munich to DFW on American. The airport was shut down due to storms. The airline rebooked my ticket but refused to comp a room due to weather conditions. She did give me a small flier on how to get a discounted room. I logged in and the only hotel came up was Motel 6 near the airport. I gave my credit card and got a confirmation number. i called the hotel more than once and was directed to the shuttle location. When I arrived AFTER an hour wait, i was told they never received the confirmation. I showed them mine but they refused to honor it. Instead, they honored anyone who booked on expedia.com. i called Travelliance (American Air travel liasion) who tried to help me. Motel 6 refused to honor the room confirmation. They told Travelliance they would make sure i got to the next hotel. (they never did) Motel 6 refused to take me back to the airport via shuttle. It took me 6.5 hrs to get a room. If this is customer service, we are in dire trouble. i have travel insurance but again, not getting any straight answers from TravelGuard (AIG)

Sep 19, 2015
Where did this occur at DFW airport? Was there a connection involved?

This sounds like a Motel 6 problem that they did not want to honor the discounted rate or there were none left .... and that Expedia rate was higher than the discounted airline rate —.

I wonder about the website — is it live booking? Does the hotel get immediate notification from Travelliance website?

Travel insurance should cover this and you should make a claim.

Miserable experience.

Jul 17, 2019
Where did this occur at DFW airport? Was there a connection involved?

This sounds like a Motel 6 problem that they did not want to honor the discounted rate or there were none left .... and that Expedia rate was higher than the discounted airline rate —.

I wonder about the website — is it live booking? Does the hotel get immediate notification from Travelliance website?

Travel insurance should cover this and you should make a claim.

Miserable experience.
This occurred at the AA gate. you are correct. That is EXACTLY what i thought. They got more money from Expedia customers. lesson learned. There were rooms left. they all went to Expedia. I would not have received a confirmation had there been no room. I tried to call Travelliance (apcglobal.com) but the line was busy so i booked online. Yes the hotel is supposed to get immediate notification.

I did make my claim but I have a gold policy and AIG won't commit to what it owes me. There are amounts such as flight delay 150/day. Last connection flight another amount...

the moral of this posting is book thru expedia.

Dec 19, 2014
Can you clarify a few facts?

Where were you stranded? Obviously, you weren't stranded at Munich, because there are no motel 6 properties in Germany. So, where did this occur? At Charlotte? Philadelphia? Do you have a copy of the "confirmation" and do you mind posting the confirmation on here with your personal information redacted.

At this time, you have not provided enough pertinent information for us to give you specific advice.

If you had a confirmation with motel 6, and the property refused to honor it, that is a motel 6 issue. However, since you made the reservation through a 3rd party, it is possible that the confirmation number was not with motel 6, but rather a reference number with the 3rd party.

Additional questions
1) What specific restitution do you want from Motel 6? Do you want a voucher or credit for a future stay? Do you want an apology? Before you write, you should have a reasonable compensation request (ie reimbursement for the cost of the ride back to the airport) in mind.
2) Write the general manager of the hotel. If you do not get the appropriate response, contact the executives at Motel 6

Jul 17, 2019
Can you clarify a few facts?

Where were you stranded? Obviously, you weren't stranded at Munich, because there are no motel 6 properties in Germany. So, where did this occur? At Charlotte? Philadelphia? Do you have a copy of the "confirmation" and do you mind posting the confirmation on here with your personal information redacted.

At this time, you have not provided enough pertinent information for us to give you specific advice.

If you had a confirmation with motel 6, and the property refused to honor it, that is a motel 6 issue. However, since you made the reservation through a 3rd party, it is possible that the confirmation number was not with motel 6, but rather a reference number with the 3rd party.

Additional questions
1) What specific restitution do you want from Motel 6? Do you want a voucher or credit for a future stay? Do you want an apology? Before you write, you should have a reasonable compensation request (ie reimbursement for the cost of the ride back to the airport) in mind.
2) Write the general manager of the hotel. If you do not get the appropriate response, contact the executives at Motel 6
I was stranded in Dallas FT Worth as my original post stated. I do have a confirmation number thru American Air 3rd party travel assistant called travelliance or Abcglobal.com (866-227-5072). My confirmation number was 1907WB. This is who American uses for airport shutdowns.

NEED A HOTEL ROOM NEAR THE AIRPORT?
GUARANTEED LOWEST HOTEL RATES FOR AIRLINE PASSENGERS
To our valued customers. We sincerely regret any inconvenice you have experienced due to flight irregularities beyond our control. By calling Airport Hotel Reservations you will be provided with a choice of hotels at the lowest rates available. There is no charge for this service.You will be responsible for all hotel charges and must present this completed accommodation form at time of checkin.
Hotel cannot guarentee lowest rate available without a completed accommodation form
Hotel: Motel 6 DFW AirportRate: $56.00Confirmation#: 1907WB

Not only would I like an apology but a voucher would be fine too except i usually dont' stay at Motel 6. I feel American should know what happened. It is pretty clear that Motel 6 got more money from expedia clients is how it looked to me. The whole purpose of me contacting this site was to see if there was any compensation and the best course of action. Do you need anything else? where is Motel 6's information

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Motel 6 is the problem but it may not entirely be their fault. It is possible that the confirmation never got to Motel 6 if you booked and immediately went to the hotel - many are not instantaneous. Why didn't you just book through Expedia right at the hotel and then fight about it with Motel 6 later?

Your travel insurance should cover the room if it came to less than their daily rate they show on your policy. A claims can take about a month. They cannot tell you anything until the claim is processed.

I would write to Motel 6 and let them know what happened and find out where the problem was. Have you written to Travelalliance? WHat did they say when they tried to help you?

I have a better idea for you - book directly through the hotel website, not Expedia or anyone else. Then you have absolutely no one that can point fingers at one another.

Jul 17, 2019
Even if they did not have the confirmation, I had it and showed it and they still refused to honor it. I was told by the airline i could use that website. I had no reason to believe it was wrong or that i needed to contact expedia. you have to remember, the ENTIRE airport was shut down. there were no rental cars and very few rooms left. once they refused, i contacted travelliance who helped me get a room 6.5 hrs later.

Dec 19, 2014
Not only would I like an apology but a voucher would be fine too except i usually dont' stay at Motel 6. I feel American should know what happened. It is pretty clear that Motel 6 got more money from expedia clients is how it looked to me. The whole purpose of me contacting this site was to see if there was any compensation and the best course of action. Do you need anything else? where is Motel 6's information
Neil already beat me to the punch.

You went through a 3rd party site, not motel6.com directly. When you go through a 3rd party site, the 3rd party site may not have live access to the inventory. The 3rd party site may have generated a reference number for the transaction, but this may or may NOT be a confirmed reservation.

Reservations booked through motel 6 directly have 10 digit confirmation numbers. Your confirmation number is 6 digits. Therefore, this is the reason why I am questioning as to whether you had a confirmed reservation.

If you had a confirmed reservation (and it was credit card guaranteed), then motel 6 should have honored the reservation. If they refused to honor your reservation, then you have recourse with motel 6, and a letter to corporate will get you an apology and likely compensation.

If you did NOT have a confirmed reservation, and based on the information that you posted, I suspect that you may not have, then the hotel is under no obligation to honor the rate. If that is the case, then the fault lies with the 3rd party booking platform and your anger towards Motel 6 is misdirected.

As for American Airlines giving you the information to book via the 3rd party site, writing American will likely give you an apology, but you may also be told that this was given as a courtesy and that American Airlines cannot take responsibility for the booking or failure of the booking.

Jul 17, 2019
Neil already beat me to the punch.

You went through a 3rd party site, not motel6.com directly. When you go through a 3rd party site, the 3rd party site may not have live access to the inventory. The 3rd party site may have generated a reference number for the transaction, but this may or may NOT be a confirmed reservation.

Reservations booked through motel 6 directly have 10 digit confirmation numbers. Your confirmation number is 6 digits. Therefore, this is the reason why I am questioning as to whether you had a confirmed reservation.

If you had a confirmed reservation (and it was credit card guaranteed), then motel 6 should have honored the reservation. If they refused to honor your reservation, then you have recourse with motel 6, and a letter to corporate will get you an apology and likely compensation.

If you did NOT have a confirmed reservation, and based on the information that you posted, I suspect that you may not have, then the hotel is under no obligation to honor the rate. If that is the case, then the fault lies with the 3rd party booking platform and your anger towards Motel 6 is misdirected.

As for American Airlines giving you the information to book via the 3rd party site, writing American will likely give you an apology, but you may also be told that this was given as a courtesy and that American Airlines cannot take responsibility for the booking or failure of the booking.
it appears that American Airlines and this third party has had this arrangement for some time. They gave this info to many travelers. I believe that American needs to know, the third party needs to know and that Motel 6 needs to be aware of how we were treated. REGARDLESS -I was a traveler stranded. The Motel 6 manager did not do anything to help us. This was the circular firing squad and no way to do business. once Motel 6 filled their rooms with a higher rate, they couldn't have cared less what happened to the rest of us. Poor way to do business.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Even if they did not have the confirmation, I had it and showed it and they still refused to honor it. I was told by the airline i could use that website. I had no reason to believe it was wrong or that i needed to contact expedia. you have to remember, the ENTIRE airport was shut down. there were no rental cars and very few rooms left. once they refused, i contacted travelliance who helped me get a room 6.5 hrs later.
What I am saying is that I would have just booked the hotel room through Expedia so I had the room and worried about it later. Then you wouldn't have had to go through all the rest of the aggravation and had a place to sleep for the night.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
it appears that American Airlines and this third party has had this arrangement for some time. They gave this info to many travelers. I believe that American needs to know, the third party needs to know and that Motel 6 needs to be aware of how we were treated. REGARDLESS -I was a traveler stranded. The Motel 6 manager did not do anything to help us. This was the circular firing squad and no way to do business. once Motel 6 filled their rooms with a higher rate, they couldn't have cared less what happened to the rest of us. Poor way to do business.
Motel 6 has a contract with TravelAlliance - they don't just pick random hotels for this program - they have a signed agreement. That is why this needs to go to the executives at Motel 6.

Jul 17, 2019
What I am saying is that I would have just booked the hotel room through Expedia so I had the room and worried about it later. Then you wouldn't have had to go through all the rest of the aggravation and had a place to sleep for the night.
i was on the phone with Travelliance trying to get the hotel to honor the reservation. they were able to get me another hotel room but then i was in line for 2 hrs. total of 6.5 hrs without a room. i know now to go to expedia first.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
i was on the phone with Travelliance trying to get the hotel to honor the reservation. they were able to get me another hotel room but then i was in line for 2 hrs. total of 6.5 hrs without a room. i know now to go to expedia first.
Again -why would you go with a third party instead of booking directly with the hotel? You could have done that from the beginning and guaranteed a reservation. The hotel takes direct reservations first - they will walk an Expedia client if the hotel is oversold before they will walk a direct booking.

Jul 17, 2019
This is only the second time I have been stranded. I do not know dfw. I did what the airlines said along with many others. Neil I am not the guilty party here. Motel 6 is period. Once I caught on to what was going on, I realized I should have called Expedia. If you can direct me to mo

Feb 21, 2018
I'm wondering why, if you had travel insurance, you didn't just do as others suggested...book a regular reservation on the hotel's website and just use the insurance you paid for. Would have saved you all those hours on the phone.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Before you spend a lot of time and aggravation trying to get a response from AA, it is important to be aware that AA is the long-time unchallenged #1 in numbers of cases/complaints on Elliott.org. AA generates more cases than UA, Delta and Southwest COMBINED. AA has typically three times the # of cases as whoever is in second place.

AA does not care about your (or anyone else's) issues and trying to get them to do something is often a complete waste of your time and patience. Just take your air travel business elsewhere. It will not solve a closed airport problem, but might reduce the aggravation factor.

Jul 17, 2019
I'm wondering why, if you had travel insurance, you didn't just do as others suggested...book a regular reservation on the hotel's website and just use the insurance you paid for. Would have saved you all those hours on the phone.
Why didn't motel 6 tell me when I called they would not honor the reservation. THAT would have saved me time. Motel 6 was under some sort of arrangement with AA. This third party was trying to remind them of that. I

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Why didn't motel 6 tell me when I called they would not honor the reservation. THAT would have saved me time. Motel 6 was under some sort of arrangement with AA. This third party was trying to remind them of that. I
Please use this information for the executives at Motel 6
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/motel-6/

And read this and start a writing campaign:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

You have a legitimate gripe- state that they have a contract with Travelliance, you made a booking through them and the hotel manager would not accept the reservation.

The problem is whoever was doing check in at the hotel. And unless you go to the Executives at Motel 6, they may continue to pull this.

Jul 17, 2019
Please use this information for the executives at Motel 6
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/motel-6/

And read this and start a writing campaign:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

You have a legitimate gripe- state that they have a contract with Travelliance, you made a booking through them and the hotel manager would not accept the reservation.

The problem is whoever was doing check in at the hotel. And unless you go to the Executives at Motel 6, they may continue to pull this.
Thank you very much for the link and advice. My point exactly...we need to bring these problems to mgt attention. I believe motel 6 maximized their profit that