Most horrible service and support from Travelocity

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 14, 2015
NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH TRAVELOCITY. My daughter’s boyfriend bought a ticket in January on Travelocity for a trip to China as part of his MBA program. On February 17, my daughter was murdered in her home, and he found the body. Her boyfriend came to the funeral on February 27 to say goodbye to the love of his life. We tried to call Travelocity the evening of the funeral to change his ticket so he could leave two days later. Travelocity never answered the phone despite trying that evening for 9 minutes and for over 4 hours the next day. Only one time was the phone answeredand despite her boyfriend having travel insurance. In total frustration, because of the need to get him to China for his class, I purchased a ticket for him on United Airlines so he could get there almost in time for his class.

I sent a letter to the CEO of Expedia (parent of Travelocity) every day for one week and received no response. I send him emails – no response. I tried to call his office, and I was prevented from doing so. I was finally referred to the Corporate Office and after four hours, I was called back. They would not issue a refund for the additional ticket, let alone the original one. When I was not satisfied by the agent, I asked to speak to her supervisor – same response – “nothing they can do”.

On the parent company’s website, Expedia, in the Mission, Vision, Values page, the word “service” is not there. Now I know the fact they have no service, and I am paying for it to the tune of $2,300. Does anyone have ideas on how to get their attention on this matter?

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
I am so very sorry for your loss. And you do not need this additional burden.
We will get someone to assist you.
Did you contact the airline in addition to Travelocity? Was the contact prior to the flight or will the airline see him as a "no show"?

Now, I might be out of line but I'm going to suggest you step back for a bit as this might be more than you need to deal with right now. However, if dealing with this is a good exercise to keep busy, then we are here for you either way.

First stop calling, we will get you additional instructions on your next move. I want to warn you that Travelocity at the very least is going to want official documentation that may not be available yet. And I'm sure one of travelocity's issues will be that they were not married and boyfriend/fiancé isn't good enough.

For now go be with family. Let us put together a plan of attack.

Last edited:

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Dear HarleyDF,

As my colleague advises, you need to retire your telephone.

We recommend a multi-step email appeal process. You may have done yourself a disservice by going directly to the CEO, but it won't hurt to try the chain of command, albeit belatedly.

Here's what you do.

Usually, I'd suggest that you complete and submit Expedia's Customer Help form, except they don't seem to have one...or for that matter, any way to email their customer service department. Every avenue I explored defaulted to a toll-free phone number. And you've already seen how responsive they are to telephone calls.

So, it's on to the next step. Here's a link to our Expedia contact page:

Send short, polite emails to, one at a time, with a week between each, the Primary Contact, Secondary Contact and Chief Executive.

Save all your correspondence and if you don't receive satisfaction, feel free to complete and submit the Elliott.org "Help" form you'll find here:

Chris will review your case, and if he can help... he will!

Good luck,

Grant

Mar 14, 2015
I am so very sorry for your loss. And you do not need this additional burden.
We will get someone to assist you.
Did you contact the airline in addition to Travelocity? Was the contact prior to the flight or will the airline see him as a "no show"?

Now, I might be out of line but I'm going to suggest you step back for a bit as this might be more than you need to deal with right now. However, if dealing with this is a good exercise to keep busy, then we are here for you either way.

First stop calling, we will get you additional instructions on your next move. I want to warn you that Travelocity at the very least is going to want official documentation that may not be available yet. And I'm sure one of travelocity's issues will be that they were not married and boyfriend/fiancé isn't good enough.

For now go be with family. Let us put together a plan of attack.
He will appear as a no-show since his flight would have left from Phoenix about the same time the funeral was held in Minneapolis. In addition, he and I waited on the phone from 11:00 pm until 12:30 am on the evening of the funeral trying to change the reservation, the phone was never answered, and there was no indication it would ever be.

The next day we contacted American Airlines, and they said they could not make the change since the original reservation was made through Travelocity. Travelocity said that American should have been able to make the change.

I have documentation for both flights. The first flight is shown in the email confirmation from Travelocity. The second flight is documented in the email confirmation received from United Airlines where I made the second reservation.

The one time we got through to Travelocity was to the insurance desk. They said it could not be used because he was not next of kin.

I will not call. It did not do any good.

Thanks for the advice.

Grant Ritchie

Dependable adequacy :-)
Oct 1, 2014
Dear HarleyDF,

If you don't receive satisfaction from Expedia and would like to appeal to American Airlines, let me know and I'll provide contact information for them. Maybe somebody will do the right thing.

Grant

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
He will appear as a no-show since his flight would have left from Phoenix about the same time the funeral was held in Minneapolis. In addition, he and I waited on the phone from 11:00 pm until 12:30 am on the evening of the funeral trying to change the reservation, the phone was never answered, and there was no indication it would ever be.

The next day we contacted American Airlines, and they said they could not make the change since the original reservation was made through Travelocity. Travelocity said that American should have been able to make the change.

I have documentation for both flights. The first flight is shown in the email confirmation from Travelocity. The second flight is documented in the email confirmation received from United Airlines where I made the second reservation.

The one time we got through to Travelocity was to the insurance desk. They said it could not be used because he was not next of kin.

Thanks for the advice.
Ok so to be clear the airline, American was not "officially" advised prior to departure that your young man would miss his flight. And American was unable or declined to offer a flight change even for a fee???

B

bodega3

When you use an agency, an airline will direct the passenger back to the agency to handle changes. However, the carrier can cancel your reservation. You can go online and with your reservation number with AA, cancel your reservation. But you need to work with Travelocity for rebooking. When you change the outbound, you start all over with your reservation.

Service is not a part of any OTA.

Mar 14, 2015
This may not do any good but, from time to time, when I have a had a "consumer advocacy issue" that I felt was taking to long to resolve, I have taken my issue to the social networks. You'd be surprised how quickly unloading on Twitter can get someone's attention.
I have complained on Travelocity's Facebook page and my friends repeat the post. It has spread pretty rapidly. Travelocity sent me a note that they filed the case, but they would contact my daughter's boyfriend next week. This sounds like another review with no commitment to refund the ticket.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Gotta wonder how they plan to reach him in China. You need to post to Chris Elliott privately and let him know exactly when Travelocity got back to you, who sent it (names) and what they said.

I can not even imagine how sad you must be . . . my heart goes out to you.

Sincerest condolences.

I want to invite everyone to share the link to this forum on Social Media - whatever you use. They do watch Facebook, Twitter, and the other media.

Remind everyone in contact with you that Travelocity and their parent company are NOT your friends. They are simply a computer system with executives and shareholders who make a huge amount of money by selling tickets and offering the worst customer support they can get away with.

Mar 15, 2015
Harley, my heart goes out to you. I too have walked in and found a family member dead. I hope you find peace.

Notwithstanding what Travelocity did -- and I would never trust them with any travel arrangements of any importance-- would it have been possible for the boyfriend to contact the school and ask for a few days leeway? I did that when my mom died and was completing my MS online. My instructor was very accomdating and I only needed a few days.

In your grief and anger at Travelcity you might not have thought of this option so I apologize if I've spoken out of turn.

Mar 14, 2015
The school was very adamant about his making the class since it was in Shanghai for a few days and Bejing for a few days. This study abroad was final study abroad portion of the MBA program with the rest of his classmates. As it turned out, by buying the second ticket he still arrived two days late. Getting him there one and one-half days late would have been a $5,800 ticket.

There were four of us working this problem in parallel - one trying to call Travelocity, and three of us on computers and smartphones looking for alternatives. He had a flight to Phoenix at 6:00 pm so there was time pressure to resolve this issue. At about 2:00 pm, it was clear that Travelocity was not helping us, and he needed to pack for his flight home. It was then I pulled the trigger on the second flight. In fact, her boyfriend was ready to give up on the class, and all of us told him he needed to go to China and finish his class requirements.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

Thanks for the advice.
Harley, this is so very, very sad ... and to be told that the fiance was not close enough to benefit from the trip insurance is truly salt in the wound. The airline should have changed the flight based on compassionate reasons, but there is no excuse for Travelocity ignoring the needs of a client. Surely the circumstances of your daughter's death should be taken into consideration by the trip insurer; perhaps there is a way for you to get reimbursed for your kindness in getting the boy to China on time. My colleagues have given you good, specific advice, and I feel that you and the fiance may find some justice in this case ... don't give up and be strong at this terrible time in your life.

Jan 8, 2015
Harley, my condolences on your loss. When I read your story, my immediate thought was how I would react if one of my boys was gone. It was very kind of you to look out for your daughter's boyfriend in such a way, especially given the circumstances. I sincerely hope you get a reasonable resolution.