More thorough investigation by Pay Pal

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 27, 2019
The day 10/16/2019:
  • At 13:05 I received an email telling me that “I had changed my paypal password”
  • At 13:09 I received another one, telling that “I had changed the security questions”
  • At 13:30 approximately How I didn’t do that transactions, I proceed to communicate with Pay Pal, I called them to help me to block my account. The worker that attended me said who had made a charge of 900 dollars to me that my case would go to the fraud department and that they’ll send me a e-mail with the results of the research in approximately 10 days.
  • At 13:43 of that same day I received email telling me that: “We have received your request of this case for this no authorized transaction. We’ll check your case and we’ll be communicating with you again in approximately 10 days".
  • At 13:43 I received another e-mail that it says: "We have completed the review of the opened case because by unauthorized movement and determinate that there was no unauthorized use. Based on our review, we have determined that his transaction is consistent with your Pay Pal payment history".
It should be noted that I do not understand the statement that “we have determined that this transaction is consistent with your payment history” since the highest value of the three transactions I have made in 2019 corresponds to 48 dollars.
  • At 15:38 I received a new email stating: Your PayPal claim: claim xx-x-xxxxxxx rejected. We have received the claim or claims you submitted on October 16, 2019.We have reviewed the transactions and rejected your claims. We have made this decision because this transaction was authorized.
From the above it is concluded that the investigation of 10 days of pay pal was done in approximately 2 hours.
  • On 10/26/2019 at 3:00 p.m. approximately I decided to contact Pay Pal to see the review of my case indicating that I would not be reimbursed for having neglected access to my password and that I could try to contact the buyer to see if he returned my money.
After restoring access to my account I have tried to contact the buyer using the solution center but when I link the transaction, to report the problem, it indicates that it is not possible to do so and try again later.
I want to clarify that I did not do it and there is nothing that indicates fraud or negligence on my part, so I request a more thorough investigation to clarify the circumstances surrounding improper access to my account. It should be noted that my computer has an updated antivirus and an antimalware.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
The day 10/16/2019:
  • At 13:05 I received an email telling me that “I had changed my paypal password”
  • At 13:09 I received another one, telling that “I had changed the security questions”
  • At 13:30 approximately How I didn’t do that transactions, I proceed to communicate with Pay Pal, I called them to help me to block my account. The worker that attended me said who had made a charge of 900 dollars to me that my case would go to the fraud department and that they’ll send me a e-mail with the results of the research in approximately 10 days.
  • At 13:43 of that same day I received email telling me that: “We have received your request of this case for this no authorized transaction. We’ll check your case and we’ll be communicating with you again in approximately 10 days".
  • At 13:43 I received another e-mail that it says: "We have completed the review of the opened case because by unauthorized movement and determinate that there was no unauthorized use. Based on our review, we have determined that his transaction is consistent with your Pay Pal payment history".
It should be noted that I do not understand the statement that “we have determined that this transaction is consistent with your payment history” since the highest value of the three transactions I have made in 2019 corresponds to 48 dollars.
  • At 15:38 I received a new email stating: Your PayPal claim: claim xx-x-xxxxxxx rejected. We have received the claim or claims you submitted on October 16, 2019.We have reviewed the transactions and rejected your claims. We have made this decision because this transaction was authorized.
From the above it is concluded that the investigation of 10 days of pay pal was done in approximately 2 hours.
  • On 10/26/2019 at 3:00 p.m. approximately I decided to contact Pay Pal to see the review of my case indicating that I would not be reimbursed for having neglected access to my password and that I could try to contact the buyer to see if he returned my money.
After restoring access to my account I have tried to contact the buyer using the solution center but when I link the transaction, to report the problem, it indicates that it is not possible to do so and try again later.
I want to clarify that I did not do it and there is nothing that indicates fraud or negligence on my part, so I request a more thorough investigation to clarify the circumstances surrounding improper access to my account. It should be noted that my computer has an updated antivirus and an antimalware.
If you are quoting the actual language in the emails from "PayPal" it is clear that all of those emails were phisihing emails and none were actually from PayPal. When you called Paypal did you use a phone # on the emails that you received? If so, you were not communicating with PayPal but with the phishing scammer.

The language in the emails is typical of phishing scammers where they are not native English speakers and use grammar and sentence constructions that are a giveaway for scammers.

You need to go to the Paypal website on your own, not through any link in an email, and contact PayPal via their official methods and try to resolve this. If that does not resolve the issue you can then contact Paypal through these contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/paypal/

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2019
I’m confused. An unauthorized charge for $900 was charged to your account after PayPal restored access after your information was stolen and PayPal didn’t cancel the transaction?

The charge of the 900 dollars was previous the change of the key. what happened is that the email was not detected by me, said email was received in my inbox at 12:45 on 10/16/2019.

Did you dispute the charge in writing? If not, you need to.
Yes, I will do it in writing. I was waiting for paypal to conclude the investigation.

Oct 27, 2019
If you are quoting the actual language in the emails from "PayPal" it is clear that all of those emails were phisihing emails and none were actually from PayPal. When you called Paypal did you use a phone # on the emails that you received? If so, you were not communicating with PayPal but with the phishing scammer.

You need to go to the Paypal website on your own, not through any link in an email, and contact PayPal via their official methods and try to resolve this. If that does not resolve the issue you can then contact Paypal through these contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/paypal/
I took the phone number from my phone book. I'm sure I talk to Paypal staff.
PAYPAL's email address has long been found in my favorite bookmarks. I will contact the executives of Paypal by that e-mail address that you indicate. Thank you.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Yes, I will do it in writing. I was waiting for PayPal to conclude the investigation.
If you have not contacted PayPal directly through their website procedures, and have used links from the emails you received, you may have never actually communicated with PayPal but only with a scammer. It is imperative that you start over with contacts only through the PayPal website. DO NOT wait "for paypal to conclude the investigation" because the only "investigation" may be from the scammer.

I have received 2 emails from "PayPal" in the last 3 days that were clearly phishing emails. You may well have responded to one.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Assuming you still have the original emails referenced in your post:
You should send all of them to: [email protected]

PayPal will then investigate the origin of the emails.

Oct 27, 2019
Even the phone number you called could have been part of the phishing scam. Do you have the specific phone number, and can you verify that it is truly PayPal's?

I took the phone number from my phone book. I'm sure I talk to Paypal staff.
If you have not contacted PayPal directly through their website procedures, and have used links from the emails you received, you may have never actually communicated with PayPal but only with a scammer. It is imperative that you start over with contacts only through the PayPal website. DO NOT wait "for paypal to conclude the investigation" because the only "investigation" may be from the scammer.

I have received 2 emails from "PayPal" in the last 3 days that were clearly phishing emails. You may well have responded to one.

I have not responded to PayPal messages using the links in their emails, as these indicate that they should not be answered. The two communications that I sent after the restoration of my account, on 10/26/2019, I made by logging into my account and using the PayPal message center.

Oct 27, 2019
I would also call your credit card company and put a block on the card that is associated with your paypal account. You should also alert your bank to block any transfers without two-factor authentication.
yes, I already put a block on the card that is associated with my paypal account. About the transfers I can't do that because it was a charge on my card, not a transfer.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Sounds like you're handling this well, Hector. I'm glad to read you contacted PayPal directly instead of clicking on any links in the emails you received. This is indeed a strange story. I hope I am right telling you that I think PP will straighten this out for you. As long as the bad guys can't "get to your account" now, you should be OK until PP figures it all out.

Oct 27, 2019
Sounds like you're handling this well, Hector. I'm glad to read you contacted PayPal directly instead of clicking on any links in the emails you received. This is indeed a strange story. I hope I am right telling you that I think PP will straighten this out for you. As long as the bad guys can't "get to your account" now, you should be OK until PP figures it all out.
Thank you very much for your words of support. I hope you're right and PP solves it favorably for me. I too hope the bad guys can't access my account. Anyway my debit card is blocked. There are people in the world who like to get easy money , of course it is a minority.

Oct 27, 2019
Use our company contacts.

On 10/29/2019, I sent an email, with the case, to the primary contact on the list. In case of not getting an answer, which is considered a reasonable period to contact the second of the list?

I want you to know that since I am from Venezuela my native language is Spanish, not English, so I apologize for mi grammar.

Oct 27, 2019
On 11/03/2019, report a complaint of identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission to obtain the number xxxxxxxxx.

On 11/05/2019, in view of the fact that I have not received a reply, I proceeded to send an email to the secondary contact of Paypal executives.

In my opinion, Consumers or users should be oriented to the security systems that companies that have access to money online should have, such as: banks, e-commerce companies, online payment management, etc. This is because when the multiple identity verification system does not work correctly, the problems affect the users. Currently, when you connect from a computer or other electronic equipment, in addition to what you normally do, despite entering the correct password, to continue with the transactions, you must enter a code that is sent to you by other means (smartphone, application (APP) or a second email, etc.) This to confirm your identity. Usually, all companies are supposed to do it.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
On 11/03/2019, report a complaint of identity theft to the Federal Trade Commission to obtain the number xxxxxxxxx.

On 11/05/2019, in view of the fact that I have not received a reply, I proceeded to send an email to the secondary contact of Paypal executives.

In my opinion, Consumers or users should be oriented to the security systems that companies that have access to money online should have, such as: banks, e-commerce companies, online payment management, etc. This is because when the multiple identity verification system does not work correctly, the problems affect the users. Currently, when you connect from a computer or other electronic equipment, in addition to what you normally do, despite entering the correct password, to continue with the transactions, you must enter a code that is sent to you by other means (smartphone, application (APP) or a second email, etc.) This to confirm your identity. Usually, all companies are supposed to do it.
You are referring to two-factor authentication. It is NOT required (many people do not have reliable cell phone access in the US or when abroad) but is offered by many if not most institutions but you must opt in.