Misspelled name

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 6, 2018
On Feb9, 2018 I purchased tickets to china with china eastern using orbitz. I did not realize that my granddaughter's first name was spelled incorrectly: Lousia as should be Louisa. I contacted Orbitz times with the request to correct name. They needed a passport(which we did have at the time) or birth certificate. After waiting some months, I recently received an email from tier2customerservice@ orbitz telling me that China Eastern would have to re-issue the ticket and I would have to pay a charge of $620. I am extremely unhappy with this situation. Do I have to pay this exorbitant fee or can I use the ticket as is?

The flight leaves June 18 at 2:50pm. Orbitz itinerary removed by moderator

booking is TQxxxx. Confirmation Removed by moderator

All of this is under my name Margaret Furlong

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 17, 2015
The short answer is you need to pay the $620 to have the ticket changed, as much as this is infuriating. Tip going forward, always double check within 24 hours any airline ticket purchases. If you travel without the names matching exactly, you are running into the risk of being denied boarding at the airport and having to pay walk-up fares. Especially for an international flight.

If you want to dispute the change fee/ ticket price increase, then you can try writing to the China Eastern executives, but be warned that the ticket price can go up at any given time, so you may be looking at having to pay more later.

Good luck.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Tanya is correct. You had 24 hours to make the name correction at no charge. After that, you have to buy a new ticket.

And that’s not just China Eastern- it’s every airline.
It’s extremeky important to check your confirmation as soon as you receive it to verify everything because you only have 24 hours to fix it at no charge.

That said- it won’t hurt to write to the Executives we show on our company contacts and ask if they can help you.

The problem you have is that if you don’t pay for the new ticket now- if you go all the way up the Executive chain- which takes weeks because we tell you wait a week in between writing- if they can’t get China Eastern to budge, the price on the air is going to continue to go up and it will cost you more than they are telling you it costs today.

Jun 6, 2018
On Feb9, 2018 I purchased tickets to china with china eastern using orbitz. I did not realize that my granddaughter's first name was spelled incorrectly: Lousia as should be Louisa. I contacted Orbitz times with the request to correct name. They needed a passport(which we did have at the time) or birth certificate. After waiting some months, I recently received an email from tier2customerservice@ orbitz telling me that China Eastern would have to re-issue the ticket and I would have to pay a charge of $620. I am extremely unhappy with this situation. Do I have to pay this exorbitant fee or can I use the ticket as is?

Tanya is correct. You had 24 hours to make the name correction at no charge. After that, you have to buy a new ticket.

And that’s not just China Eastern- it’s every airline.
It’s extremeky important to check your confirmation as soon as you receive it to verify everything because you only have 24 hours to fix it at no charge.

That said- it won’t hurt to write to the Executives we show on our company contacts and ask if they can help you.

The problem you have is that if you don’t pay for the new ticket now- if you go all the way up the Executive chain- which takes weeks because we tell you wait a week in between writing- if they can’t get China Eastern to budge, the price on the air is going to continue to go up and it will cost you more than they are telling you it costs today.
can you get me the executive names for china eastern so that I can make further requests for waive of extra charges. Thanks

Mar 23, 2015
I had a similar situation. My son booked our tickets and he typo'd my name Melisaa instead of Melissa. I bit my nails and waited, but I had no issues at the airport. I'm not saying the OP should try it, but I am saying... it worked for me... Whatever you decide, good luck!

Jun 6, 2018
I had a similar situation. My son booked our tickets and he typo'd my name Melisaa instead of Melissa. I bit my nails and waited, but I had no issues at the airport. I'm not saying the OP should try it, but I am saying... it worked for me... Whatever you decide, good luck!
thank you. I am debating whether to try it.
thank you. I am trying to decide what to do.

Sep 19, 2015
China Eastern has a reputation of not being flexible on changing the minor misspelling of a name.

Article on CN traveler where the ombudsman tried to help:

I issued a ticket for a client from Tel Aviv to Yantai, China and back, via Seoul, with Korean Air. The flight from Yantai to Seoul was operated by China Eastern Airlines. The client’s first name, Netanella, was misspelled by one letter, “Netanela,” on the ticket. She was forced to buy a new ticket for that specific flight, at a cost of $138. The airline has been unwilling to consider reimbursement. Can you help recover the cost of the extra ticket? – Shlomo G., Tel Aviv, Israel

A: Ordinarily, I don’t pursue cases when a passenger (or, by proxy, a travel agent) makes an airline reservation error. The rules are straightforward: your ticket must match your travel documents; if it doesn’t, the airline can deny boarding, as can security personnel, and ultimately it is your responsibility to review your ticket and make sure everything is correct. In general, you have twenty-four hours after purchase to make corrections without incurring a fee. In this case, however, to charge $138 for a missing “L” is, frankly, ridiculous.

I contacted China Eastern to find out why it was necessary to charge Netanella for a new ticket and whether it would be willing to reimburse the cost. Other than acknowledgments that it received my emails and calls, it didn’t respond to my inquiries. After two months, I reached out to Skyteam Media Relations, because China Eastern is a member. It contacted the airline on my behalf, but was also unsuccessful in eliciting a substantive response, despite repeated attempts.

As the Ombudsman, one of my main goals is to remain impartial and let the facts and the policies speak for themselves, but when a company is this obdurate and unhelpful, I don’t feel calling it out is unwarranted. To that end, the first takeaway here is: you might want to avoid China Eastern Airlines. The second is: take the time to scrutinize your ticket and travel documents and if you find an error, fix it. If an airline determines you can’t board the plane, whether due to something significant, such as a missing visa sticker in your passport, or something as minor as a missing letter, there’s not much you can do about it, with the possible exception of opening your wallet.

https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/...-for-a-misspelled-name-on-your-airline-ticket

There are similar issues on tripadvisor with the airline.

Jun 6, 2018
China Eastern has a reputation of not being flexible on changing the minor misspelling of a name.

Article on CN traveler where the ombudsman tried to help:

I issued a ticket for a client from Tel Aviv to Yantai, China and back, via Seoul, with Korean Air. The flight from Yantai to Seoul was operated by China Eastern Airlines. The client’s first name, Netanella, was misspelled by one letter, “Netanela,” on the ticket. She was forced to buy a new ticket for that specific flight, at a cost of $138. The airline has been unwilling to consider reimbursement. Can you help recover the cost of the extra ticket? – Shlomo G., Tel Aviv, Israel

A: Ordinarily, I don’t pursue cases when a passenger (or, by proxy, a travel agent) makes an airline reservation error. The rules are straightforward: your ticket must match your travel documents; if it doesn’t, the airline can deny boarding, as can security personnel, and ultimately it is your responsibility to review your ticket and make sure everything is correct. In general, you have twenty-four hours after purchase to make corrections without incurring a fee. In this case, however, to charge $138 for a missing “L” is, frankly, ridiculous.

I contacted China Eastern to find out why it was necessary to charge Netanella for a new ticket and whether it would be willing to reimburse the cost. Other than acknowledgments that it received my emails and calls, it didn’t respond to my inquiries. After two months, I reached out to Skyteam Media Relations, because China Eastern is a member. It contacted the airline on my behalf, but was also unsuccessful in eliciting a substantive response, despite repeated attempts.

As the Ombudsman, one of my main goals is to remain impartial and let the facts and the policies speak for themselves, but when a company is this obdurate and unhelpful, I don’t feel calling it out is unwarranted. To that end, the first takeaway here is: you might want to avoid China Eastern Airlines. The second is: take the time to scrutinize your ticket and travel documents and if you find an error, fix it. If an airline determines you can’t board the plane, whether due to something significant, such as a missing visa sticker in your passport, or something as minor as a missing letter, there’s not much you can do about it, with the possible exception of opening your wallet.

https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/...-for-a-misspelled-name-on-your-airline-ticket

There are similar issues on tripadvisor with the airline.
wow! china eastern is very unbending. I better get an updated ticket for name misspelled.

Mar 17, 2015
Margaret - It is not just the airline being unbending, except in the name change policy, I think we all agree having to pay more than a nominal fee is ridiculous. However, the name not matching can be a problem with proper documentation for the relevant authorities at the country level. If the airline let's someone fly into a country without the proper documentation, and yes, name errors could be a reason, the airline can be fined. So it may be that china eastern got burned one too many times in the past and now has a very strict policy.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Another issue is one airline may allow you to fly with the misspelling and the next one might not- resulting in a problem getting home.

The longer you wait, the more chance that the price of the flight increasing and it costing you more than what they told you.

Sep 19, 2015
Margaretfurlong I posted that story because it similar in that it is a very minor problem -- one L missing -- it is not as if the name change went from Meg to Margaret.

The reasons of being so rigid may have to do with issues of Chinese names with unusual characters and problems -- the policy is rigid for all :

From China Eastern:

The passenger’s name cannot be altered after the E-ticket has been issued. Ensure to correctly enter the passenger’s name in “Enter Passenger Information” screen.

Passengers with names containing rare Chinese characters unidentified in the system purchasing domestic tickets must enter the unidentified Chinese characters in Pinyin into the 'Passenger Name' area. (For example: 李喆, please enter 李ZHE; 李喆一, please enter 李ZHEYI). In such cases, the passenger must resolve this issue at a China Eastern counter before check-in.