Missing middle name on ticket but on passport

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 15, 2019
I am pretty stressed over this. Bought 9 tickets through Expedia to take the family to Mexico for the holidays. Just realized one does not have her middle name which is on her passport. #1 Is this a BIG deal. #2 How can I get correction if it is. Expedia sent me to airline who said they can not or will not. It is a two carrier flight. Help super appreciated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It depends on the airline. Most are very strict about it matching. The airline may require you to buy a new ticket but Expedia is the one that needs to do this as your travel agency. The airline won’t touch a ticket issued by Expedia.

Go back to Expedia and ask if you need to repurchase the ticket.

Feb 7, 2016
As someone with their middle name on their passport I have struggled with this. Sometimes it’s there. Sometimes it’s not - my experience with Delta, AA, Air France and Air Canada have all allowed me to add it at the time of check in. Which airline are you flying?

Dec 15, 2019
It depends on the airline. Most are very strict about it matching. The airline may require you to buy a new ticket but Expedia is the one that needs to do this as your travel agency. The airline won’t touch a ticket issued by Expedia.

Go back to Expedia and ask if you need to repurchase the ticket.
I did and it is triple the price and a totally different route with two stops and this would separate her from her six year old child.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Feb 7, 2016
You have 24 hours to make a name change at no cost. Is the flight sold out?

We’ve done a story on this before. Never book a ticket without having the passport in front of you.

https://www.elliott.org/case-dismissed-2/name-ticket-does-not-match-passport/
Neil, I appreciate your perspective on this. But someone who has had this on most main US, Canadian and some international airlines - all have allowed adding middle names without reissue or during check in - some have an open text field to add it.

If the OP can tell us which airline it is - it could be very easy to determine.

for example - I have attached a screen cap of the American Airlines check in (all info is fake - as it is from Americans “how to video”. You will see the first and last name are greyed out but not the middle - allowing you to add it at check in.

Attachments

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I've flown most domestic airlines with no MN on my tix. Also much experience with Virgin Atlantic, British Air and various other European carriers. No experience with an airline based in Mexico, I'm sorry to say. Expedia is being jerks about this, but customer service at an online booking service is often dismal.

The issue with your particular problem is that "mostly" it's not a problem. But if it IS a problem, there you are at the airport with someone in your group denied boarding. You don't have much time to dork around with Expedia, so I advise calling the airline ... get her airline confirmation number first. Check the res online first to see if by some miracle you could add the MN. You'll need to do what we call "artful begging". One other thing is to send her out to the airport with her passport and ask an agent to add the MN. You go along, humbly apologizing for ruining your family's Christmas and begging for help. Take some chocolates, nice ones. Tears wouldn't hurt. Pick a time when there are few flights going and coming and the agents aren't so busy.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I've flown most domestic airlines with no MN on my tix. Also much experience with Virgin Atlantic, British Air and various other European carriers. No experience with an airline based in Mexico, I'm sorry to say. Expedia is being jerks about this, but customer service at an online booking service is often dismal.

The issue with your particular problem is that "mostly" it's not a problem. But if it IS a problem, there you are at the airport with someone in your group denied boarding. You don't have much time to dork around with Expedia, so I advise calling the airline ... get her airline confirmation number first. Check the res online first to see if by some miracle you could add the MN. You'll need to do what we call "artful begging". One other thing is to send her out to the airport with her passport and ask an agent to add the MN. You go along, humbly apologizing for ruining your family's Christmas and begging for help. Take some chocolates, nice ones. Tears wouldn't hurt. Pick a time when there are few flights going and coming and the agents aren't so busy.
That’s exactly what the problem is. It might be fine but if she gets to the airport and it isn’t- then what? And if the ticket is three times more now- a walk up fare is worse.

This is really something we can’t tell you what you should do. Our advice is always to go to the agency you booked with and let them guide you.

If we tell you “ah, don’t worry about it” and she goes and finds the airline won’t allow her to fly- we have liability. We can only tell you to go by what the airline says.

Read the previous story that we had about this I linked to. And never book an international airline ticket without having the passport in front of you. You have in most cases 24 hours to fix it at no charge.

Jul 27, 2018
Had a similar problem with our last international trip. My wife's passport has her with a middle initial. The airline booking would only take a middle name; trying a middle initial gave an error message. Workarounds like adding spaces after the initial also failed. Called the airline, was tolduse the middle name and there would be no problem. Insisted on getting it in writing via email, just in case. At the airport no one cared about middle name irregularities. It turned out they also would have accepted FirstnameX Lastname as well as Firstname X. Lastname as well.

Whatever you do, it's up to the airline to accept your ticket. Get them to write to you that whatever is on your ticket is acceptable.

Jul 30, 2018
Its important to point out that airline personnel are notoriously inconsistent when it comes to policy enforcement. As consumer advocates we can only state the current published policy and refer the OP to the entity that sold them the ticket for further advice.

Dec 4, 2018
Had a similar problem with our last international trip. My wife's passport has her with a middle initial. The airline booking would only take a middle name; trying a middle initial gave an error message. Workarounds like adding spaces after the initial also failed. Called the airline, was tolduse the middle name and there would be no problem. Insisted on getting it in writing via email, just in case. At the airport no one cared about middle name irregularities. It turned out they also would have accepted FirstnameX Lastname as well as Firstname X. Lastname as well.

Whatever you do, it's up to the airline to accept your ticket. Get them to write to you that whatever is on your ticket is acceptable.
I also only have a middle initial both on my passport and birth certificate. It's my legal name. At one point years ago, I had some state documents that had me listed as First "MI(only)" Last that was used to bypass any issues. I don't remember which agency it was from.

Dec 4, 2018
I also only have a middle initial both on my passport and birth certificate. It's my legal name. At one point years ago, I had some state documents that had me listed as First "MI(only)" Last that was used to bypass any issues. I don't remember which agency it was from.
Not recommending this. The agency did it.

Dec 13, 2019
What airline are you ticketed on?

Middle names or initials are not required on tickets, even for international travel. They're required in TSA data, which depending on the airline you can generally change by logging into your booking online and managing your "secure passenger data" or whatever the airline you booked with calls it. Since you have a two airline itinerary, you more than likely will have to do it once for each airline.

That being said, I cannot recommend highly enough to always book your tickets EXACTLY as your names appear on the passport.

Worst case scenario, most airlines have a name change policy. You can pay a fee to make a minor change. But that might not apply depending on if you booked code shares which can make it impossible for the airlines to complete if they operate in different GDS systems, for example. Or if you booked a basic economy ticket.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What airline are you ticketed on?

Middle names or initials are not required on tickets, even for international travel. They're required in TSA data, which depending on the airline you can generally change by logging into your booking online and managing your "secure passenger data" or whatever the airline you booked with calls it. Since you have a two airline itinerary, you more than likely will have to do it once for each airline.

That being said, I cannot recommend highly enough to always book your tickets EXACTLY as your names appear on the passport.

Worst case scenario, most airlines have a name change policy. You can pay a fee to make a minor change. But that might not apply depending on if you booked code shares which can make it impossible for the airlines to complete if they operate in different GDS systems, for example. Or if you booked a basic economy ticket.
Many airlines no longer do name changes after 24 hours. The airline already advised her she needs to repurchase the ticket.

The best option our OP has is to go further up the chain at Expedia to try to get assistance. Many times an Executive will do more than a customer service rep.

Dec 15, 2019
Two airlines involved...AeroMexico and Delta. AeroMexico agreed to put a notation on their end of the paperwork that they recognize the middle name is not on the ticket. Still trying to get help from Expedia....not making any progress.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This problem involves a trip over the holidays. There's no time to follow our usual advice about writing. Hopefully we've given our OP several avenues to pursue; I doubt that Expedia will step up to fix the error. Fortunately, Delta has very good customer service, so I'm hopeful that all nine of you get on that plane together.

Aug 27, 2015
This summer, the travel agent misspelled both of my spouse's and my middle name on a multi leg flight to Europe. At the check-in counter, when we tried to use the kiosk, a warning page told us to call an agent due to the name discrepancies. The agent compared the docs and changed the flight record to the correct spelling. This was on United Airlines.

We've flown extensively internationally and never used our middle name or initial when making the booking ourselves, even though our travel docs list our middle names. There has never been an issue until this TA's mistake. Obviously we won't be using them again.

Apr 3, 2016
This summer, the travel agent misspelled both of my spouse's and my middle name on a multi leg flight to Europe. At the check-in counter, when we tried to use the kiosk, a warning page told us to call an agent due to the name discrepancies. The agent compared the docs and changed the flight record to the correct spelling. This was on United Airlines.

We've flown extensively internationally and never used our middle name or initial when making the booking ourselves, even though our travel docs list our middle names. There has never been an issue until this TA's mistake. Obviously we won't be using them again.
Always spell out your complete names for the travel agent and have them repeat it back to you. If possible, send them copies of your passport. Have your travel agent send you info as soon as they book so you can check the names yourself before 24 hours passes. Not including your middle name in the future could possibly get you denied boarding. There are more and more crackdowns on exact name match to documents.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That travel agent rotor have been responsible for your new ticket if the airline hasn’t corrected it. The problem is some will correct and some won’t. And it could also depend on the mood of the agent at the airport.