Missing middle name on plane ticket. Booked in Cheapoair!!!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 22, 2019
Please help!!! I am really stress and don't know what to do now thinking about this. I booked a ticket through cheapoair. After 24 hours I realized that I have no middle name on my booking ticket and on my passport I have. Only my First name & Last name match on my passport. I called China Eastern and told me they couldn't make any changes because I have multiple airlines. Although, I called Air Canada and the agent told me it's fine if I don't have middle name on my booking ticket. Now my issue is if I will have no problem in boarding with China Eastern . Anyone has same issue like me!!!! Please people need all your help or input. My flight is not till this May but I want to sort this out ahead of time... Thank you in advance.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You are right to be concerned. Domestically in the US, a middle name is not an issue, at least in our experience. When it comes to international travel, it may be required. There is really no way to absolutely know ahead of time. Are you flying on Air Canada or China Air or a combination of the two? Because you used an online booking service, you'll need to deal with them, the airlines probably won't help you. Contact cheapo and ask them to add your middle name.

Jan 22, 2019
You are right to be concerned. Domestically in the US, a middle name is not an issue, at least in our experience. When it comes to international travel, it may be required. There is really no way to absolutely know ahead of time. Are you flying on Air Canada or China Air or a combination of the two? Because you used an online booking service, you'll need to deal with them, the airlines probably won't help you. Contact cheapo and ask them to add your middle name.
Hi
I am flying with Air Canada from Deerlake Nl to Pearson Airport. Then China Eastern from Pearson Airport to Shanghai Pudong then to Manila Airport same going back. I contacted them (CheapOair)but unfortunately they said they couldn't make any changes now and I have to purchase new ticket to get it fix which is for me so unfair (Just bought the ticket from them last January 15). I am still hoping that there is another way to fix this that won't cost me an arm and a leg. Thank you for your reply.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You had 24 hours to correct it at no charge. It’s unfortunate it took this long for you to realize it was an issue.

The only way to properly correct it is to buy new tickets at this point however many airlines don’t have a middle name box to add a middle name. In that case you add the middle name when you add your passport information.

Jan 22, 2019
You had 24 hours to correct it at no charge. It’s unfortunate it took this long for you to realize it was an issue.

The only way to properly correct it is to buy new tickets at this point however many airlines don’t have a middle name box to add a middle name. In that case you add the middle name when you add your passport information.
Hi

Do I have to fill up a form there once I arrive in the ticketing that I can just add my middle name or they are going to use my booking information when they issue me a ticket? This is my first time in a long time to travel again outside the country so I can't remember now the process. Thank you for your reply.

Mar 17, 2015
Unless it is required to show your return, then I don't think so. Although, it will have your confirmation number on it, so I would keep it handy. Security will not ask for your booking reservation, normally just the boarding pass. However, China may have VISA requirements, which you are responsible for. Check out the state department's website for documentation you need. I am assuming you are going to China since you are on Air China for a leg of your flight. Whatever country you are visiting, still check the website for all documentation required.

Sep 19, 2015
I went to the China Eastern website and did a mock booking and it says that middle name must be filled out if one travel document.

However there are reports on TripAdvisor of passengers with the same problem.

Jan 22, 2019
Hello guys,

I didn't mention that my middle name on my passport is actually not part of my Given/First name. It is my mother's surname so it means it is my maiden name. I am holding a Philippine passport and we have to put our mother's surname there under the "middle name". Do I still need to worry and get it fix? Shanghai is only my layover for 24 hours then fly to the Philippines. Also, I have a round trip ticket. My airlines are China Eastern (international flight) & Air Canada (domestic flight). Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

Jan 22, 2019
If the ticket doesn’t read exactjy as your passport - the airline may require you to fix it. Some allow it some don’t. It all depends on the airline.
Okay. So, do you think I'll be in trouble if I check in online and put my middle name there but on my booking ticket there is none? I am still waiting for reply from China Eastern I sent them an email coz I couldn't get ahold of anyone on their office no. Thanks for responding.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
To sum it all up, Jaye, you may or may not be OK. The only thing we know for sure is that you won't know until you start the process at the airport the day of your flight. It's really quite worrisome. If you have a confirmation number from China Air, can you access your res on their website? If so, see if you can put in all your passenger details ahead of time. I always do that with Virgin-Atlantic; my tix has no middle name, so I just add it then.

If everything stays static and you arrive at the airport and are not allowed to board, you would have to buy a new ticket on the spot. That's the reason we urge people to get the documentation problem taken care of or buy a new ticket ... before the price goes sky high, as it would be at the airport on the day of flight. I wish we could be more help, but the airlines play hardball now with these little details, especially if the tix is purchased from an online service instead of directly from the airline.

May 26, 2018
On some airlines and countries, I've found that the first and middle name are conflated together to produce a "first name" that is actually a combination of first and middle names.