Missing baggage help!!!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 24, 2017
Yesterday we flew heathrow London to JFK sky priority. 2 of our 3 bags made it to JFK. We filed a claim and the woman stated they would send the bag to our house in Houston today. The status showed the bag never left London heathrow.

We spent the night in New York last night and flew home southwest today.

The status says the bag is still in London. I called to check status and the woman said she would contact delta in London and I asked to make sure it made it to houston. She then starred telling me that it's southwest's problem and we need to file a claim with them. She told me she'd send the information to London but it did not make me feel confident.

I called southwest to question if this was true and spoke to a supervisor and they said it is deltas reaponsibility. They were very friendly and suggested I go to the delta baggage claim at my local airport to make sure it makes it there. Since we are off work today we could make the trip.

Will this help? Will we make them angry? What is our best course of action as technically with londons time change it has been sitting there a day and a half with many planes flying out and it hasn't been put on a plane. Any advice would be really helpful.

Feb 9, 2016
I'm confused, why would this be southwest's problem?

The only problem you might have is actually getting the bag to Houston, since Delta only had you ticketed to New York.

It won't hurt to go to Delta at your local airport and start the process, in person, v with them.

Sep 24, 2017
That's what I thought too! But the customer service representative told me that. The representative at JFK said it would be no problem to send it to houston. Do you think it will help a lot to go to our local airport? We can but it's a far drive and we are pretty jet lagged.

Sep 24, 2017
I tweeted delta a few minutes ago and they said they contacted the baggage dept and will try to expedite getting it to houston. I am still so confused how it just never left the airport in London.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I don't think it should be a problem getting your bag to Houston even though your itinerary terminated at JFK. They lost the bag so they need to get it to you regardless of where you are. No different than if they lost it at the start of a European vacation that includes travels to multiple countries via the Eurorail system. Their responsibility is to get your luggage to you.

Keep at it.....this is a scenario where the squeeky wheel gets the oil. Otherwise I fear your bag will be tossed in the great abyss of other lost lugagge never to surface again!

Sep 24, 2017
I don't think it should be a problem getting your bag to Houston even though your itinerary terminated at JFK. They lost the bag so they need to get it to you regardless of where you are. No different than if they lost it at the start of a European vacation that includes travels to multiple countries via the Eurorail system. Their responsibility is to get your luggage to you.

Keep at it.....this is a scenario where the squeeky wheel gets the oil. Otherwise I fear your bag will be tossed in the great abyss of other lost lugagge never to surface again!
Thank you! What would you do next if you were me?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Thank you! What would you do next if you were me?
I would keep doing what you are doing.....call, tweet, email them. Ask specific questions is a simple manner:

Where is my bag currently?
When will it depart (which flight)?
When is it expected to arrive?
How will you transport it (courier service) to me in Houston?
What is the contact information for the courier?

Be brief in your correspondence but use some humor if need be.....you want them to go above and beyond for you since you are only one traveler of thousands with lost luggage. Just a thought........

Sep 24, 2017
I would keep doing what you are doing.....call, tweet, email them. Ask specific questions is a simple manner:

Where is my bag currently?
When will it depart (which flight)?
When is it expected to arrive?
How will you transport it (courier service) to me in Houston?
What is the contact information for the courier?

Be brief in your correspondence but use some humor if need be.....you want them to go above and beyond for you since you are only one traveler of thousands with lost luggage. Just a thought........
Thank you so much :)

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
There's a reason one of your bags is still a Heathrow and it may take a day or two for someone over there to figure it out. For example, if all the tags have been torn off, as happened to me in Roma, it will be set aside to deal with later. It took 3 full days to get my bag delivered to the hotel. Did you have full ID inside the bag?

The idea that this would be SouthWest's problem is a new low, even for an airline agent.

I haven't had the misfortune to lose a bag for many years, but I thought that a passenger was able to track the whereabouts of a bag online after filing a claim. Does Delta not do that? You should not have to be making phone calls and facing the subsequent frustration.

As @Patina advises, just keep up the questions ... but I'd give them 24 hours to find the bag before taking any more action. Please let us know the outcome, it will help us advise future travellers.

Sep 24, 2017
My bag tracker has changed to
We can not display your baggage information at this time. Please contact 1-800-325-8224 or contact us for assistance. Is this good or bad?

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
My bag tracker has changed to
We can not display your baggage information at this time. Please contact 1-800-325-8224 or contact us for assistance. Is this good or bad?
I would give them a call and see what's going on. It may be they have located the bag and need your input on where it needs to go. Or it could be they haven't.

Sep 19, 2015
Okay another update it says it is at JFK at customs-do I need to do anything further or will they still send it on to me in houston?
Wait out customs; I have seen airline representatives with massive large carts filled with baggage and they have to wait for customs. Sometimes customs waves them through other times they are xrayed looking for ... whatever they are looking for. At least the bag is getting closer.