Missed family vacation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 9, 2017
Why are you focusing on $2328? If you had actually bought those tickets, you would have been entitled to compensation, but you didn't. If no tickets at all had been available, and the cost of chartering a private plane would have been $30k, you wouldn't have a case for getting $30k in compensation.

Focus on your actual losses: prepaid hotels, prepaid excursions, etc.
When Expedia sent us to buy tickets for $2328 we asked Expedia if they really intend to refund this amount. If Expedia would advice us to hire a private jet I would ask the same.
And from here there are only two honest ways to answer: "Yes, we confirm, go ahead and hire the plane" or "Sorry, too much for us. We offer you some compensation instead".
But not to keep writing "We need more time to check. Thank you for your patience".
We planned hiking in the mountains. So there is no much prepaid stuff, but tons of disappointment.

But actually I am wrong. Request to confirm $2328 was correct for the moment we had no refund for our original tickets. We got the refund yesterday, which reduces $2328 to $2328 - $872.64 = $1455.36

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2017
It seems to me that you've had an encouraging response from Expedia: an admission of responsibility, a refund of the flights, and a request for further documentation of your losses in nonrefundable, prepaid expenses. If you haven't sent them this documentation yet, then I would do so before"going up the chain" any further.

Realistically, I think compensation for prepaid expenses should be your goal and is the best outcome you can expect. Hopefully one of the travel agents in the forum can comment on this.
Sounds sad. When Ryanair cancels a flight that costs 10 Euro, the passenger is entitled for something more. Why not us?

Oct 9, 2017
We don't have EU261
I know.
But even if you had US261 or I have booked on expedia.de it would not help from the pure legal point of view since the flight (even though the flight itself was on a European airlines company to EU) was not canceled by the airlines.

Feb 9, 2016
We did not fly at all. Stayed at home for the entire holiday.
Expedia sent us to buy new tickets. We checked the price, it was $2328. We sent them the itinerary with the price tag.
They said: "Buy it, we will look into covering the differences".
We said: "Sorry, a too vague sentence. Book the tickets for us or explicitly promise to refund $2328".
Then they several times said "We understand how important for you to have you new tickets. We need some more time to check".
That's it. No vacation.

But actually I am wrong. Request to confirm $2328 was correct for the moment we had no refund for our original tickets. We got the refund yesterday, which reduces $2328 to $2328 - $872.64 = $1455.36
I'm still confused. You had tickets but did not fly? Why? And why does Expedia OU the difference when you booked new tickets?

Feb 9, 2016
Okay, you initially purchased 4 tickets.

What was the TOTAL amount for those four tickets?

Your daughter decided not to go. You called Expedia and asked them to cancel ONE ticket, and they cancelled all for.

Expedia gave you their blessing to rebook and they will cover the difference.

How much was the total price for the rebook? How many people did you rebook?

Exactly how much do you feel Expedia owes you?

Oct 9, 2017
What was the TOTAL amount for those four tickets?
$1163.52

Expedia gave you their blessing to rebook and they will cover the difference.
Their blessing was "we will look into covering the difference".
At that moment we did not have refund for the old tickets.
We asked Expedia to rebook for us or to provide for explicit commitment that they refund the cost of new tickets. We asked many times. They did not send us the blessing we wanted.

How much was the total price for the rebook?
$2328 and then quickly went up to $2900

How much was the total price for the rebook? How many people did you rebook?

Exactly how much do you feel Expedia owes you?
$2328 - $872.64 = $1455.36

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2016
$1163.52

Their blessing was "we will look into covering the difference".
At that moment we did not have refund for the old tickets.
We asked Expedia to rebook for us or to provide for explicit commitment that they refund the cost of new tickets. We asked many times. They did not send us the blessing we wanted.

$2328 an the quickly went up to $2900

$2328 - $872.64 = $1455.36
Your situation is still not clear. You commented above that you rebooked zero people. So you didn't re purchase tickets? You didn't go on vacation?

Feb 9, 2016
Okay, I did some math. Things are a bit clearer.

On your original booking, it cost 290.88 per person per ticket. This brings you to the initial total of $1163.52.

All things being equal, Expedia owes you $290.88 x 3 = $872.64 for the three tickets that they cancelled on you, of the four initial tickets, when you only wanted one ticket cancelled. The question is, in what form do they owe you that?

Have you spelled this out simply for them and asked for the $873.64 to be refunded? Omitting everything else about their offer to "maybe" refund the difference if you rebook. Just state the facts, you called to get one ticket cancelled, the whole itinerary was cancelled,v they have admitted that it was their mistake, can you get your money back?

The real problem here is that Expedia never told you they will refund you for those tickets, did they? They wanted you to rebook without firm agreement that they would cover the booking difference.

The best you may be able to do here is a credit with the airline that contains no change fee. The original set of tickets was non refundable. You would have a legitimate claim for a booking difference, if you had rebooked, but you are not legally entitled to a refund. Just s credit, and you're going to have to book it thru Expedia.

Oct 9, 2017
=The question is, in what form do they owe you that?.
The tickets were changeable. At the same moment Expedia canceled the tickets, they sent us Aegean vouchers that expire in April.
We even had the "cancel for any reason" insurance in order not to deal with these vouchers if we need to cancel.

=Omitting everything else about their offer to "maybe" refund the difference if you rebook. Just state the facts, you called to get one ticket cancelled, the whole itinerary was cancelled,v they have admitted that it was their mistake, can you get your money back?
Got full cash refund two days ago

= They wanted you to rebook without firm agreement that they would cover the booking difference.
It's OK? Would you buy new tickets in this situation?

= You would have a legitimate claim for a booking difference, if you had rebooked.
So now we are not entitled to anything.

Feb 9, 2016
Now I am even more confused.
The tickets you bought were fully changeable? That means they should have been fully refundable.

And you received a full cash refund 2 days ago for what? Have you now been made whole?
From the comment that they have received compensation for the entire booking, it appears that they have been made whole.

IF you had rebooked and incurred additional monies out of your pocket, then you would have something to discuss with Expedia, the fare difference.

Since you have been made whole, and are not out any money, now I wonder what it's the basis for your discontent? What remedy are you seeking?

Would I have booked new tickets? I can't say, I am not in the moment. But that it's a purely "aside" discussion. Would I review my situation on every travel site I could, such that other travellers could beware? Yep!

Oct 9, 2017
Since you have been made whole, and are not out any money, now I wonder what it's the basis for your discontent?
I start feeling guilty for wasting your time. Sorry!
I have already understood that we were due only to out of pocket money and now we have made whole.
It was was very frustrating to repeatedly ask for firm confirmation and to be answered "Please give us some more time to review your case" again and again.
It was also very frustrating to stay at home instead of a carefully planned vacation.
I thought that "reimbursement" and "compensation" is not the same and "compensation" is something that is received for frustration or discomfort caused by somebody.
It seems that I was wrong.

Feb 9, 2016
@Enot dont get me wring, I do feel your pain. I understand how frustrating this whole situation must have been for you. In situations such as these, there is no emotional distress, or pain and suffering. there's just the hard lesson of understanding to consider avoiding an online travel agency next time :(

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I understand what @Enot is requesting.....it is not cut and dry BUT if a traditional TA cancelled the remaining tickets even though the client only requested one ticket to be cancelled, the TA would be obligated to get their clients to their destination on the TA's dime. Just because the TA is essentially a ticket broker should not exempt them from doing the right thing.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I would be reticent to purchase new tickets to the vacation destination without any guarantee from the OTA that they would be reimbursed.

In the end, this is a losing battle based on the fact that the OP has been made whole on their original tickets and only (I use this word this hesitantly) lost out on their vacation but did not suffer any financial loss.

@Enot my guess is the only chance you will have receiving something is if you ask for travel vouchers, not cash. Even then, it is not likely you will receive anything.

The conclusion: OTAs suck!!!