Missed connection due to airline costly.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 22, 2018
Recently a First Class morning flight on Delta from Tucson, AZ to Spokane, WA cost me an expensive taxi ride to Phoenix to catch another flight. With no advanced notice from Delta I arrived at the airport to find out the flight was delayed 2 hours and I would miss the connecting flight from Salt Lake City to Spokane(I also had a two hour drive from Spokane to Sandpoint, ID my final destination.). My pet cat was also traveling with me, which posed a problem in taking a later flight from SLC or staying in a hotel overnight. There were no other flights on any other airlines from Tucson which would get me into Spokane at a decent hour to catch my ride to Sandpoint. My only choice was to go to Phoenix and catch a Southwest flight(for which Delta has no affiliation) to Spokane. The airport shuttle from Tucson to Phoenix will not take animals so my only option was to take a taxi which cost me $293.00 Delta did not offer me a voucher for the taxi. I think Delta should reimburse me for the taxi.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Was this all booked on one ticket?

Unfortunately flight delays happen. When something like this happens, the airline has one of two obligations- get you on their next available flight or give you a refund. Sometimes in rare instances they might try and put you on another airline if they have a flight that might work.

However, if you absolutely have to be somewhere on a certain date you should never fly the day you have to meet a car ride or a cruise or be st a business meeting that can’t be missed.

Once you booked your ticket in another airline, Deltas responsibility ceased- they don’t owe you anything else according to DOT laws.

Apr 22, 2018
It's not about contractual obligations; it's about the humane thing to do and customer service. In this instance Delta failed to notify me of the delay although they knew of the delay before I arrived at the airport, even though Delta has every conceivable contact means available. Delta knew I was flying with a pet as I had to make a reservation for it. I am a frequent flyer member and have flown twice to Europe and back with the airline and I had a first class ticket. Furthermore Delta has a duty to maintain their aircraft regularly to fly as scheduled--not wait until the airplane arrives at an airport, as in this case to fix a door.

Apr 22, 2018
It's not about contractual obligations; it's about the humane thing to do and customer service. In this instance Delta failed to notify me of the delay although they knew of the delay before I arrived at the airport, even though Delta has every conceivable contact means available. Delta knew I was flying with a pet as I had to make a reservation for it. I am a frequent flyer member and have flown twice to Europe and back with the airline and I had a first class ticket. Furthermore Delta has a duty to maintain their aircraft regularly to fly as scheduled--not wait until the airplane arrives at an airport, as in this case to fix a door.
Yes it was booked on one ticket.

Jan 30, 2018
Yes, they are supposed to keep their equipment in working order but stuff happens. Last week my daughter's flight was 5 hours late - part weather, part equipment - and they did not get so much as a free soda for the inconvenience. This is the world of airline travel now. It is crummy, but we have no choice but to deal with it.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes it was booked on one ticket.
Ok - then their obligation was to get you on the next flight they had seats on or refund you if you opted to use another airline. Then Delta's obligation ceases.

We have company contacts on top of our page. It can't hurt you to write to Delta and ask them about reimbursing you. It is by far a long shot - they have no obligation to do so - but you never know. I've seen plenty of things I never thought would go the consumers way get approved when a sympathetic executive got involved. You have noting to lose. Read the information on the Company Contact page on HOW to write and then go for it.

Apr 22, 2018
Yes, they are supposed to keep their equipment in working order but stuff happens. Last week my daughter's flight was 5 hours late - part weather, part equipment - and they did not get so much as a free soda for the inconvenience. This is the world of airline travel now. It is crummy, but we have no choice but to deal with it.
Y
Yes I know stuff happens but as consumers we need to fight back. Weather is one thing you can't control, but aircraft mainentance you can.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'll take just a bit of a different view here, Beth. You had a first class tix. You reserved for your cat. DL did not notify you of the cancellation/schedule change. Full stop. This is not YOUR problem, it's Delta's problem. Not contracturally, but DL is known for customer service; a rare quality these days. Therefore, I think a concise, polite letter to customer service is in order. Ask them for exactly what you want. If you don't hear back in two weeks, or don't like what your hear, use our Company Contacts to escalate up the executive beanpole, one at a time, waiting a week between each submission. I know that airlines love their first class flyers, whether full-fare or upgrade, so I think they will want to make you happy and retain you as a loyalist.
P.S. I have no idea what is happening to my margins, I hope this response is readable.​

Sep 19, 2015
Bethfallen I do think you should write to Delta.

First of all, here is someone who is not "gaming the system" and is paying for her pet to fly -- so not pretending to have an emotional support animal (unlike me and my hairy zebu, but I digress....) that already speaks to integrity.

It is one thing for Air-Peguin that flies one trip per week to Antarctica (ok I made this up) to not have the technology to alert passengers to a serious delay but for Delta -- what is their excuse?

And one has to consider if this is how a first class passenger is treated is there any hope for anyone in economy?

Anyone who has owned a car knows that things can happen mechanically.

But --- after the info on what has come out after the death on the SW flight -- even after having a similar problem in 2016 SW did not ground the planes -- and the FAA drags its feet, --so yes I am concerned about deferred maintenance on airplanes.

So Bethfallen, do write and let us know what happens. Please follow JSN55's advice (I would not recommend mentioning deferred maintenance as I just did.....) and be polite and factual, and let us know what happens.