Misrepresentation of Service

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 14, 2019
In January, 2019, I changed Internet providers due to price creep and data allowances. I contacted HughesNet and told their sales representative that I wanted a plan with “unlimited Internet” so we could stream movies and download off the Internet without any limits. I asked if the service was “unlimited” several times and was assured I would receive ”unlimited Internet.” I also mentioned I had received an offer in the mail for a sizeable rebate. He said I would have to provide him with the last 4 numbers of my Social Security card to receive the rebate, and I provided them. This never occurred. HughesNet installation arrived and setup the dish and router for our service. During the next month I realized my error. There definitely were “limits,” but they were DATA limits. After you use up your data allotment, you can still access the Internet, but at a speed so slow you cannot stream movies and even accessing a Website takes forever. Of course, you can purchase more data or pay more for a plan with more data, but that on top of the monthly charge makes it difficult for a retired couple on a fixed income. I believe in stating my Internet requirement to HughesNet’s representative made it clear what I wanted, and he knowingly misrepresented the service because I used the phrase “unlimited Internet” and not “unlimited data.”

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you still have internet but it is slower, you have unlimited internet. Their website does indicate this. They do have unlimited , but it clearly tells you it slows down when you go over your Data plan:

1. Unlimited Data: All plans have No Hard Data Limits. If you exceed the amount of data in your plan, we won’t cut you off or charge you more. Stay connected at reduced speeds.

This is the plans they have:

https://www.hughesnet.com/get-started/find-right-plan

Here are our company contacts for Hughes Net:

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hughesnet/

But you did get unlimited internet.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
In January, 2019, I changed Internet providers due to price creep and data allowances. I contacted HughesNet and told their sales representative that I wanted a plan with “unlimited Internet” so we could stream movies and download off the Internet without any limits. I asked if the service was “unlimited” several times and was assured I would receive ”unlimited Internet.” I also mentioned I had received an offer in the mail for a sizeable rebate. He said I would have to provide him with the last 4 numbers of my Social Security card to receive the rebate, and I provided them. This never occurred. HughesNet installation arrived and setup the dish and router for our service. During the next month I realized my error. There definitely were “limits,” but they were DATA limits. After you use up your data allotment, you can still access the Internet, but at a speed so slow you cannot stream movies and even accessing a Website takes forever. Of course, you can purchase more data or pay more for a plan with more data, but that on top of the monthly charge makes it difficult for a retired couple on a fixed income. I believe in stating my Internet requirement to HughesNet’s representative made it clear what I wanted, and he knowingly misrepresented the service because I used the phrase “unlimited Internet” and not “unlimited data.”
Here are the Hughes contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/hughesnet/
Email the first customer service person with your issues in a bullet point fashion. Move up the chain after one week if no/negative response.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thank you for your advice. I’m new to this. I usually just grin and bear it!
Go ahead and pursue this. You were not given correct information and that misinformation caused you to purchase something that is not what you needed/wanted. You may get the problem corrected, or perhaps a discount on your monthly bills. You lose nothing by pursuing this (and besides, you are retired so go for it).

Sep 14, 2019
If you still have internet but it is slower, you have unlimited internet. Their website does indicate this. They do have unlimited , but it clearly tells you it slows down when you go over your Data plan:

1. Unlimited Data: All plans have No Hard Data Limits. If you exceed the amount of data in your plan, we won’t cut you off or charge you more. Stay connected at reduced speeds.

Yes, I realize this now. I never went to their website. I received a advertisement in the mail and called the number. Yes, I was stupid. I guess that’s why it bothers me so much. However, when I talked to their representative I told him exactly what I wanted. He mislead me by never mentioning data limits or slowdown. We do have a satellite internet provider in our area that provides unlimited data. You pay based on the speed. Too late smart! However, I do believe that reputable companies should prove you with the truth. A half truth is a lie.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Yes, I realize this now. I never went to their website. I received a advertisement in the mail and called the number. Yes, I was stupid. I guess that’s why it bothers me so much. However, when I talked to their representative I told him exactly what I wanted. He mislead me by never mentioning data limits or slowdown. We do have a satellite internet provider in our area that provides unlimited data. You pay based on the speed. Too late smart! However, I do believe that reputable companies should prove you with the truth. A half truth is a lie.
I think you definitely should write to them and take that up with them because they know who sold this to you and they should be properly trained.

Jan 6, 2015
I believe the term you are looking for is "throttling". That is what happens in a plan such as yours. "Data" is unlimited (always available), but "throttles back" after the plan limit is reached. I have this on our cell phone because we don't do streaming.

Other service providers (cellular) may actually stop data altogether at the plan limit. So you should ask for a continuous data speed with "no throttling".

Mar 14, 2018
Part of the confusion could be how you're using the terms "internet" and "data". The Hughes plan you bought has both "unlimited internet" and "unlimited data." You pay based on the amount of "high speed data" that you want. I'm sure this is the same as the other satellite internet provider in your area.

High speed data is necessary to stream movies. When you were speaking with the representative, did you tell him that you wanted to stream movies with no limit? If so, you have a pretty good case that they misrepresented the service

Mar 14, 2018
I should add that no satellite provider will be a good choice if you stream a lot of video. Streaming uses 1-3GB of high speed data per hour depending on resolution. The most expensive Hughesnet plan has 50GB of high speed data which will allow 14-50 hours of video each month.

Sep 14, 2019
I believe the term you are looking for is "throttling". That is what happens in a plan such as yours. "Data" is unlimited (always available), but "throttles back" after the plan limit is reached. I have this on our cell phone because we don't do streaming.

Other service providers (cellular) may actually stop data altogether at the plan limit. So you should ask for a continuous data speed with "no throttling".
Thank you for this information. I’m beginning to realize how important the right “tech’ words are,

Sep 14, 2019

I know I got what I asked for, but I think my description of what I wanted and needed should have prompted a more candid response. I’m 75 years old and not up to the minute on tech language. If a person who spoke limited English had called, wouldn’t it be the responsibility of a reputable company to make sure they understood what they were saying?!,

Sep 14, 2019
I know I got what I asked for, but I think my description of what I wanted and needed should have prompted a more candid response. I’m 75 years old and not up to the minute on tech language. If a person who spoke limited English had called, wouldn’t it be the responsibility of a reputable company to make sure they understood what they were saying?!,
P.S. Was it right to con people “just off the boat” in the past. Is an expectation of corporate responsibility a thing of the past?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
P.S. Was it right to con people “just off the boat” in the past. Is an expectation of corporate responsibility a thing of the past?
I don’t think it was a con at all- I think there was a misunderstanding. Did you call customer service and discuss this with them? They have plans that offer more data but it comes at a higher cost.

As smd says- a satellite system is not a great choice for streaming - they don’t come close to the speeds you really need that you can get with a non satellite company.

Jan 6, 2015
I support your frustration, and agree that their representative could have been more forthcoming. Perhaps asked more questions. However, as my wife reminds me quite often, they are trained to follow a script. I do also wonder what the following means:
  • I told their sales representative that I wanted a plan with “unlimited Internet” so we could stream movies and download off the Internet without any limits.
  • I asked if the service was “unlimited” several times and was assured I would receive ”unlimited Internet.”
Did you actually say "so we can stream without limits", or was that simply your goal? If the latter is true, the rep may have answered accordingly . . .

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
The debate about the downfall of customer service will never end. Reality is that today a consumer must have the terms of what s/he is buying in writing, s/he must understand them and agree to them before moving ahead with the purchase. This is one of the main reasons many of us prefer to order online ... the call centers are not consistently reliable. When we're dealing with a computer screen, we have the opportunity to review the information at our own pace. I would definitely think "unlimited" means unlimited, and so would most people over the age of 40. But if we received that information online, there probably would be an asterisk so we'd go read the fine print. Blaming the companies gets us nowhere, we need to change ourselves so we become far more picky when making a purchase.

Sep 14, 2019
I don’t think it was a con at all- I think there was a misunderstanding. Did you call customer service and discuss this with them? They have plans that offer more data but it comes at a higher cost.

As smd says- a satellite system is not a great choice for streaming - they don’t come close to the speeds you really need that you can get with a non satellite company.
I was just trying t make the point that is easier to sell something to someone who may not speak a language or understand the nuances of the environment they have recently entered, ie. the “tech” world. This experience has provided me with a whole new vocabulary and understanding, but it is one that at the time I purchased the plan from HughesNet I wasn’t aware of or aware I needed to know. I assumed that huge companies like HughesNet had nothing to gain by misleading a senior citizen. A new thing I also learned. The days of caveat emptor are not over. As I live in a very rural area I cannot get anything but satellite internet and television. But thank you for your comments. They make me more aware of what I’m dealing with. As for higher costs. That is why I switched in the first place.

Sep 14, 2019
The debate about the downfall of customer service will never end. Reality is that today a consumer must have the terms of what s/he is buying in writing, s/he must understand them and agree to them before moving ahead with the purchase. This is one of the main reasons many of us prefer to order online ... the call centers are not consistently reliable. When we're dealing with a computer screen, we have the opportunity to review the information at our own pace. I would definitely think "unlimited" means unlimited, and so would most people over the age of 40. But if we received that information online, there probably would be an asterisk so we'd go read the fine print. Blaming the companies gets us nowhere, we need to change ourselves so we become far more picky when making a purchase.
I agree. It has been a hard, sad lesson to learn.

Sep 14, 2019
I support your frustration, and agree that their representative could have been more forthcoming. Perhaps asked more questions. However, as my wife reminds me quite often, they are trained to follow a script. I do also wonder what the following means:
  • I told their sales representative that I wanted a plan with “unlimited Internet” so we could stream movies and download off the Internet without any limits.
  • I asked if the service was “unlimited” several times and was assured I would receive ”unlimited Internet.”
Did you actually say "so we can stream without limits", or was that simply your goal? If the latter is true, the rep may have answered accordingly . . .
It’s been 8 months since this happened. I don’t know if I said those exact words, but I do believe that everything I said indicated that it was my goal.